Log inRegister an accountBrowse CSDbHelp & documentationFacts & StatisticsThe forumsAvailable RSS-feeds on CSDbSupport CSDb Commodore 64 Scene Database
You are not logged in - nap
CSDb User Forums

Forums > Requests > THE MOVERS Treasure Chest II
2008-09-17 12:54
swasti

THE MOVERS Treasure Chest II

hello dudes,

fresh from my red hot glowing 1541-ii disk drive - another transferpack (finished some minutes ago..). i got the disks from a friend with his c64.
246 transfered disk sides in the pack.
that was a bloody work - some (bad) hd disks and pc disks where in the box. some of them makes my drive crazy.

HOT!!

if you have self transfered disk - please post them! ;)

regards
swasti

... 264 posts hidden. Click here to view all posts....

2009-03-24 14:13
swasti

you need pure dos for this. nibread works under winxp.
i think i´ll make a dos boot cd that can write to ntfs partitions.
someone had one?
2009-03-24 15:29
sailor

Hello all, a few thoughts on the way...

I run a 1541-II with paracable, best speed i have gotten with SC is somewhere around 20-25 sec.. dont ask me why :)

Nibread actually boosts down to 10 seconds, i rushed the thing a bit, just for kicks, it took me about 35 minutes to xfer 100 disksides (=50disks). This includes all handling, inserting/removing disk.. Roughly 21 s per diskside (if i didn't miss that mathlecture in school)..

If we assume we are reading "normal" disks, and convert them from nib>.d64 you get a .d64 with errorinfo, the result is the same weither the program is designed to get an exact copy of a disk or not ?

If we are reading disks that are known to be originals, that is a different case.

..although, i haven't quite understand if there is a point saving .nib-files when reading/converting normal disks into d64 later on ?

Personally, i only run in DOS, i have some old machine for this purpose :)

so... nibread y/n ?

/Jani
2009-03-24 15:44
chatGPZ

Quote:
If we assume we are reading "normal" disks, and convert them from nib>.d64 you get a .d64 with errorinfo, the result is the same weither the program is designed to get an exact copy of a disk or not ?

i am not sure how nibtools work, but generally nibblers do not try to interprete the data they are reading. that way they can read/copy data that has intentional errors etc, but the backdraw is that they can not decide wether an error is intentional or not. a program that only ever expects valid data can retry until all data has been read error free, a nibble generally gives up relativly quickly and assumes the data is supposed to contain errors.

so as for nibtools, i'd atleast make sure that there are options which allow me to disable all the magic and enable all errorchecking (which essentially would degrade the program to a simple parallel copier).

oh and - saving the .nib files makes sense indeed, so you can go back to them whenever you stumble about a d64 which does not work because the original disk used some strange loader, or uses 40 tracks for example.
2009-03-24 19:36
Mace

Using SC for transfering crappy disks takes AGES.
So, like Swasti, I'm looking for a tool that does the job a bit faster. There are 3000 floppies waiting here...

NibTools has the option to reread on error. And the user can determine how many times.
So what Groepaz says, is not entirely valid here: NibTools _does_ know when there's an error, just like SC. But then, NibTools just copies them, while SC keeps nagging me.

In the end, both results have errors, but Nib took less time.
The drawback is that NibTools is a bit less user friendly than SC, especially in naming the files.
2009-03-24 19:49
Mason

Quote: Hello all, a few thoughts on the way...

I run a 1541-II with paracable, best speed i have gotten with SC is somewhere around 20-25 sec.. dont ask me why :)

Nibread actually boosts down to 10 seconds, i rushed the thing a bit, just for kicks, it took me about 35 minutes to xfer 100 disksides (=50disks). This includes all handling, inserting/removing disk.. Roughly 21 s per diskside (if i didn't miss that mathlecture in school)..

If we are reading disks that are known to be originals, that is a different case.

..although, i haven't quite understand if there is a point saving .nib-files when reading/converting normal disks into d64 later on ?

Personally, i only run in DOS, i have some old machine for this purpose :)

so... nibread y/n ?

/Jani

Well the reason why we started to look at nibtools to transfer the disks is because it autodetects 40 tracks if its there and it handle the special bytes.

Theres several examples where disks were transferred and we have to ask the owner again or wait till the disk shows up in some other disks so we can nibble transfer it using nibtools.

There can be a different way to handle the errors, but maybe its one of the thing the coder of nibtools should look at.
2009-03-24 20:34
sailor

Sorry for being unclear, with "normal" disks i meant disks _known_ to be using tracks 1-35 only and no fancy loaders..

But yes, with unknown content, everything should be read :)

/Jani
2009-03-24 21:26
ΛΛdZ

Look at this scheme and let there be no
doubt that Nibtools is supior - but probably
unknown to many as it requires some soldering
in the floppy-drive. I could have added more
parameters for comparasation but hey ... these
are the essential!

Nibtools
takes all bits : yes
takes all tracks: yes
is fastest : yes (10 secs)
Known flaws : no

NibConvert CAN interprete errors and create the
correct d64 with error-bytes corret : yes.

Warpcopy:
takes all bits : no
takes all tracks: no
is fastest : no (23 secs)
Known flaws : yes

OpenCBM:
is fastest : no (30+ secs)
Known flaws : yes

StarCBM:
is fastest : no (30+ secs)
Known flaws : no

2009-03-24 21:36
elkmoose

starcommander also autodedects 40 track disks if you tell it to do so

and before everything here goes specualtion, i would ask you to do a praxis test like i did.

take 20 of your disks that you know contain errors and transfert them
a) with starcommander error retry set to 100
b) nibtool

after that compair them and see for yourself on which disks more damaged stuff is, the ones by nibtools or the ones by starcommander

the whole point of transfering old stuff to save it gets pretty pointless, when its more important to you guys to have a job fast done, then to have a job good done.

think about it. (and make the test)
2009-03-24 21:55
Mace

The method is to quickly transfer all disks, allowing for some errors, then sort and find special stuff.
If that stuff is on a bad disk, re-read the disk to try to fix it.
2009-03-24 22:07
ΛΛdZ

Tmb: I did not speculate my answer, I did testing disks
with certain errors and some without.

Only transfer programs that tranlate all errors correct
are: NibTools and StarCBM.

Comparing those two --> Only program that gets all bit : NibTools.
Previous - 1 | ... | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | ... | 28 - Next
RefreshSubscribe to this thread:

You need to be logged in to post in the forum.

Search the forum:
Search   for   in  
All times are CET.
Search CSDb
Advanced
Users Online
psenough
El Jefe/Slackers^sidD
DeMOSic/HF^MS^BCC^LSD
chancer
Jazzcat/Onslaught
Flex/Artline Designs