Log inRegister an accountBrowse CSDbHelp & documentationFacts & StatisticsThe forumsAvailable RSS-feeds on CSDbSupport CSDb Commodore 64 Scene Database
You are not logged in - nap
CSDb User Forums

Forums > C64 Coding > World Record Database
2023-11-03 03:48
NoiseEHC

World Record Database

Hi!

Is there anybody who knows if there is some kind of world record database? If there is none then are there people interested in creating one in a wiki? I am thinking about creating a paragraph of the effect description of "every" demo ever released (which have world records or new effects of course), and to group the effects into categories. For example "sprite multiplexers" would be a category, listing record numbers/years going up to Crest's 120/170 sprite records (each one a link to the respective demo).

Anybody interested?
Thanks,
Noise/EHC
2023-11-03 07:14
Gordian

Hello!

https://www.atlantis-prophecy.org/recollection/?load=world_of_d..
https://codebase64.org/doku.php?id=base:demo_world_records_and_..

Propably not very often updated both.
2023-11-03 07:54
Krill

Quoting NoiseEHC
Anybody interested?
This kind of stuff gets silly rather quickly.

Take sprite records, for example.
There's one record for N sprites simultaneously on a video frame.
Then there's another record, but with more (N+M) but sprite-crunched sprites.
Then another with even more (N+M+L) sprite-crunched sprites at 9 sprites per rasterline, but of course every other rasterline is blank.

Now... which one of those is Best (TM)? They're all legit records, but, strictly speaking, each in their own category.

You can find many examples like this with pretty much all of the staple effects, where the sheer amount of that one countable thing used to determine records, and the theoretical limit, is depending on other factors.

E.g., bobs (size, X and/or Y degrees of freedom), Kefren bars (width), starfields/3D plots (perspective or not, numbers of degrees of freedom), etc. - and all of those with or without open sideborders and different amount of colours.
2023-11-03 09:12
macx

What's most important is the dynamic in constantly trying to achieve the world's first, like e.g. H.T.T.M.F.C.

Boar's Head Tavern | byob.hopto.org:64128
2023-11-03 10:56
NoiseEHC

Quoting Krill
Now... which one of those is Best (TM)? They're all legit records, but, strictly speaking, each in their own category.

You do not have to decide which one is best. You just have to list all of them on a wiki page.

For me it would be interesting to know whether something has been done or not, before making another world record. I just cannot remember all the effects from all a demos.
2023-11-03 11:05
NoiseEHC

Quoting Gordian
Hello!

https://www.atlantis-prophecy.org/recollection/?load=world_of_d..
https://codebase64.org/doku.php?id=base:demo_world_records_and_..

Probably not very often updated both.

Thanks, exactly what I was looking for. Unfortunately these are very sparse and out of date... :)
2023-11-03 14:07
Krill

Quoting NoiseEHC
You do not have to decide which one is best. You just have to list all of them on a wiki page.
My point was that "all of them" would be quite a long list, with very similar things and rather few contestants in each category.
That, or you'd lump together separate categories and arbitrarily pick a winner.

Quoting NoiseEHC
For me it would be interesting to know whether something has been done or not, before making another world record. I just cannot remember all the effects from all a demos.
You could also just ask on this forum for a list of similar things to what you have in mind, then decide if it's worth to try surpassing them. =)
2023-11-03 14:30
NoiseEHC

Quoting Krill
My point was that "all of them" would be quite a long list, with very similar things and rather few contestants in each category.
That, or you'd lump together separate categories and arbitrarily pick a winner.

I understand you. But I need exactly that long list. Still no point to pick winners. Btw it would not be that long. There are not too many serious coder groups, and there are not that many demos either. I would guess the grand total would be <1000 entries for <200 demos.

Quoting Krill

You could also just ask on this forum for a list of similar things to what you have in mind, then decide if it's worth to try surpassing them. =)

Yeah, that is exactly what I want to avoid... ;)
2023-11-03 14:35
Digger

What I would like to see/create would be more like a lookup DB for demo effects.

When you type "sprite plexor" you would get all CSDb demos with that plus info on quantities, screenshots etc.

A bit similar to Plus4World where every demo has a list of fx incl. graphics modes etc.
https://plus4world.powweb.com/software/Rocket_Science

E.g. if you look for "plasma":
https://plus4world.powweb.com/effects/Plasma

Give it 1-2 years and AI would do most of that work =)
2023-11-03 14:49
Scrap

I am with Digger. Records or not, would be interesting to have a searchable database of who did what and when... We are getting old and sometimes it is hard to remember: "hey, where did I see that effect???" Also, would be good, before boasting, to check if you are really the first with an effect... ;-) But this database would be a whole lot of work with all those demos out there...
2023-11-03 15:03
NoiseEHC

Quoting Digger
What I would like to see/create would be more like a lookup DB for demo effects.

Exactly. However I would prefer a wiki format, as searching with google is much better usually...

Btw that is a nice site for +4.

... 33 posts hidden. Click here to view all posts....

Previous - 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 - Next
RefreshSubscribe to this thread:

You need to be logged in to post in the forum.

Search the forum:
Search   for   in  
All times are CET.
Search CSDb
Advanced
Users Online
Mr SQL
bugjam
Luca/FIRE
d'Arc/Topaz Beerline
Acidchild/Padua
FunFun/Triangle