Log inRegister an accountBrowse CSDbHelp & documentationFacts & StatisticsThe forumsAvailable RSS-feeds on CSDbSupport CSDb Commodore 64 Scene Database
You are not logged in - nap
CSDb User Forums

Forums > C64 Coding > Berzek for C64
2008-07-30 18:07
trip6
Account closed

Berzek for C64

Hello... I recently recieved assembler source code for Berzerk video game. I was told that I would have to use CCS65 to compile it. However, I am quickly realizing that I have no idea how to do this in CCS65. Can some one help me our compile this for me with CCS65 if I sent the source code? All help is appreciated, I'd love to get a port of this classic on the C64.

... 260 posts hidden. Click here to view all posts....

2009-07-09 02:17
trip6
Account closed

Just got an e-mail from Lars Verhoeff aka Mirage, thought that I would share the body of it with you guys to keep the train rolling on this project:

Lars wrote:

Hi,
Sounds like a nice project, and I liked the redux version… What exactly is it you want me to do? Sprites and background tiles?

Cheers,
Lars.

I still have yet to hear back from Martin Galway about doing a SID tune...

I am so impressed how the scene is rallying around this project...
2009-07-09 17:48
onebitman

i'd love a cartridge version. and the sounds from the vectrex version http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gzf3obuzslI :)
2009-07-12 07:05
Martin Piper

The sources have now been uploaded to Codebase64.
http://codebase64.org/doku.php?id=projects:resurrection
2009-07-15 14:10
trip6
Account closed

Looks like Martin Galway is out as far as help for the audio portion , but I have contacted Jeoron Tel, hopefully I'll get a reply from him...

Here is what Martin had to say:

Martin sent you a message.

Re: Commodore 64 Project

"Kevin, I can't help you personally on the C64 audio, but I will have a think about who is still working on it and get back to you. -MG"
2009-07-15 21:40
LOGAN
Account closed

I already was afraid MG would be a no go. Jeroen Tel was one of the first names on my mind, maybe he can do some nice tunes that also include the samples :) Hmm so no 8-bit samples? hehe.
2009-08-13 20:34
trip6
Account closed

I am working on getting the licensing for a commercial release sorted out, but Gary Stern is turning out to be a tough nut to crack. When he realized this wasn't going to be huge money maker, he has grown somewhat apathetic about it. I have to find a way to get him something that he will value out of it. I have an idea, we'll see if he bites. I am thinking if I can get him some advertisement and\or an interview in Retro Gamer for Stern electronics, I might be able to entice him further into a licensing agreement for a commercial release of Berzerk. These things just take time unfortunately.
2009-08-14 03:09
jailbird

Quote:
When he realized this wasn't going to be huge money maker, he has grown somewhat apathetic about it
Are you fucking kiddin' me? This Stern guy actually wants to profit from the remake of a semi-retarded game, made for a 27 year old computer?
Seriously makes me wonder if he lives in the same world as the rest of us.
2012-03-21 21:14
Heavy Stylus

Sorry for digging up this ancient thread, but I'd like to have another go at contacting Gary Stern. Any idea how I can contact trip6 to see how far he got with this?
2012-03-22 05:03
trip6
Account closed

Gary said it was ok to do the c64 version as long as it was not sold commercially. If sold commercially whether it was 1 copy or 2,000 copies. He wanted a $5000 licensing fee plus royalties for each copy sold. He still owns the IP and it is still active. I told him I projected it would only sell 250 units. He said it was not worth his time to license it for that few. That is why Martin Piper released it into the public domain. You can hit me up on lemon or here if you want to chat more. Martin Piper was planning on doing an enhanced version and lars was going to do the tiles and graphics but it fell through with the licensing deal. I was even talking to Martin Galway about doing original sid tunes for the enhanced version. Heavy, you myself and Kenz should team up I usually offer game bounties each year for C64 conversions... I was going to anounce another this June for Sinistar including the digitized speech. I am working on the permission to do this as we speak RJ Michal (from Amiga fame) was one of the original programmers on this game.
2012-03-22 15:05
Heavy Stylus

Wow. That's quite an incredible sum, considering the size of the market. I wouldn't even expect to sell more than 100! What kind of royalties was he expecting? 50% of any profit made? Doesn't he understand that none of us are actually in it for the money? I could understand if it was an iOS port, but the C64?! Really?

Ok, so Berzerk looks to be a non starter from a commercial perspective (I have still promised to make myself and Martin a cartridge of it), but I wonder what other IP may be potentially available at a more reasonable price?

I've already sent a message to Jay Smith's son about potentially selling TRSi's Vectrex conversions with their permission. I'll be interested to hear what they say.

Trip6, send us your details via the Lemon PM system and lets have a chat about Sinistar :)
Previous - 1 | ... | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 - Next
RefreshSubscribe to this thread:

You need to be logged in to post in the forum.

Search the forum:
Search   for   in  
All times are CET.
Search CSDb
Advanced
Users Online
hedning/G★P
t0m3000/ibex-crew
ϵʟʞ/ₐтₐ
Slimex
Freeze/Blazon
Low Spirit