Log inRegister an accountBrowse CSDbHelp & documentationFacts & StatisticsThe forumsAvailable RSS-feeds on CSDbSupport CSDb Commodore 64 Scene Database
You are not logged in - nap
CSDb User Forums

Forums > C64 Coding > C64 crossdeveloping suggestions?
2008-09-05 07:02
Optimus

C64 crossdeveloping suggestions?

Yep. I am motivated to start coding something on the C64 again. I need to use some helpful tools that will speed up developing and make things less frustrating. I am searching for crossdeveloping tools on the C64.

I am already considering kick assembler. But I might want to hear more suggestions. Btw,. is there a C64 emulator coming with internal assembler? Something like the thing I use on CPC, the Winape32 emulator/assembler? That would be great!

... 66 posts hidden. Click here to view all posts....

2008-09-17 01:52
Martin Piper

Xpress Studio 2008 should work too as well as dasm, all you are doing is giving the IDE a command line to execute to assemble your files.

When I'm not so busy I'll have another look at DASM, but I'll need to see if I can get it to save labels in VICE format and in a decent label order as well. Most assemblers will dump immediate values and memory addresses in the symbol table without any indication that they are memory addresses, which isn't a lot of good because it causes VICE to display immediate values as zero page labels. :(

*Thinks* A proper debug file format would enable VICE to display the source code for each disassembled memory location. Hmm...
2008-09-17 05:25
Heaven
Account closed

my dream is always to have at least a kind of realtime debugger...

like the no$gba emulator ones. but haven't found any c64 or atari 800 emulator giving me that feature...

2008-09-17 05:43
Martin Piper

A debugger that allows the machine state to be rewound, code changes made and then continue debugging would be nice. :)
2008-09-17 07:51
Krill

Isn't an emulator's built-in monitor good enough for that?
2008-09-17 08:46
Martin Piper

Not for anything except really simple code changes. Also the monitor isn't going to display comments or nicely formatted source to edit. Then if the monitor is used to make several code changes there is the problem of reconciling those changes with the source code.
2008-10-17 14:06
cavey

Quote: Isn't an emulator's built-in monitor good enough for that?

it's the tool for manky!
2008-10-18 19:29
Warnock
Account closed

How do you set up WinVice to work with Relaunch64? I have Tass as my assembler but when I go to run the program in Vice, I get line error codes. I can't remember what the error message was. I was wondering if there was some type of setting that is needed to activate WinVice without getting an error message. Please help!!

2008-10-19 20:02
Richard

You would need to go to *setup emulator*. Find the path and .exe for where x64 (inside winvice directory) lies and then change textbox (where -autostart lies) to where your assembled .prg lies.
2009-05-06 09:56
Scout

For the cross-developers on Windows who use Editplus (http://www.editplus.com) as an programmer's editor, I've extended the syntax file (for syntax highlighting) with the 6510 illegal opcodes and the new C64DTV opcodes.

Get it here:
http://members.ziggo.nl/rolando/tools/asm6502.zip
2009-09-15 08:16
Hermit

I just started experiment of cross-development.

I use Ubuntu Linux, and 'GEANY' seems a great, light, fast IDE with syntax-highlighting (.asm) and split-window plugin.
(You have to use .asm extension if not set another in cfg.)

For compiling I think the best way is '64TASS', because it has the same syntax as Turbo Assembler on C64. E.g. it was easy to port&compile my Turbo Assembler source to PC..and maybe won't be problem with using it back on C64..
(Be careful, the 64tass won't compile source & write output with normal CR-endings, you have to convert the source with Geany to have CR+LR endings (Windows form))

The tester is (of course) Vice. There were two things to do to make things faster: Attach the tfr08.bin (Final Replay) as retro-replay cartridge into Vice, then set it as default & save settings. This fastens bootup of Vice.

The Vice '.prg'-autostart (from commandline) is delayed 3 seconds by default, it's slow when you want to test your program, because every test will start a new Vice.
The delay value can be found in the 'c64.c' in '/src' of Vice-source folder. Search second result for 'autostart' then rewrite '3' to '1' and recompile Vice...if you need I can send my Ubuntu compilation (.deb package) of Vice with 1s delay, ask it from me at hmtmade@gmail.com.
(0 delay didn't work, Vice couldn't autostart program, maybe the cartridge didn't came up fast enough')

Now, when you have 64tass and x64 in their places, only thing you have to do is opening a source code in geany with 64tass syntax & .asm extension. Then in build menu you can 'Set Includes And Arguments'. Type the next text into this box if you want to compile .asm to .prg, and then start Vice with the compiled .prg autostarted:
64tass "%f" -o "%e.prg" | x64 "%e.prg"
(In Windows 'x64.exe' and paths may be required.)

I think it's an useful set, I can compile my code&run it in Vice, all in around 2 seconds, then simply quit Vice by Alt+Q or Alt+F4 (and in Vice menu, should disable quit-confirmation then save settings). Though, the tfr08.bin cartridge seems slowing down the prg-autoload, so maybe some empty/non-fastload cartridge images with this fast machine-start would be better...:)

Hermit Software Hungary
Previous - 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 - Next
RefreshSubscribe to this thread:

You need to be logged in to post in the forum.

Search the forum:
Search   for   in  
All times are CET.
Search CSDb
Advanced
Users Online
hedning/G★P
csabanw
Dr. Doom/RAD
Laurent
iceout/Avatar/HF
Airwolf/F4CG