Log inRegister an accountBrowse CSDbHelp & documentationFacts & StatisticsThe forumsAvailable RSS-feeds on CSDbSupport CSDb Commodore 64 Scene Database
You are not logged in - nap
CSDb User Forums

Forums > CSDb Entries > Event id #1583 : Dance to the Bit @ WORM Rotterdam
2009-10-08 12:07
Reggy
Account closed

Event id #1583 : Dance to the Bit @ WORM Rotterdam

WANTED: a (C64-)demogroup, willing and able to build a demo, live, at Dance to the Bit -- a demoscene / micromusic party held in WORM Rotterdam. The party will take place at November 21st, from 22.00 to 04.00, the demo will be presented around 03.00.

Ofcourse, it will be impossible to build a demo from scratch during this evening, so it might be an idea to bring ready-made routines and string them together or something like that...
The idea is to show the audience what and how much effort is put into building demo's / gfx / music by letting them see (part of) the process..

michiel [at] wormweb [dot] nl
///////////// www.wormweb.nl
2009-10-08 12:25
Sander

at Dance to the Bit -- a demoscene / micromusic party held in WORM Rotterdam
Read a similar request on scene.org recently..

What makes this party a 'demoscene' party btw? Just wondering..
2009-10-08 14:43
Reggy
Account closed

Good thing that you ask this.. It won't be a pure demoparty, but more or less a hybrid happening.
Dance to the Bit is basically a micromusic-evening, focused on 8 bit dancemusic, with live music-performances and a VJ taking care of the visuals. For this edition, we want the audience to get some insight in the "coding-effort", the building-blocks of the stuff they're enjoying, and that's where we need the help of the demo-sceners, preferably on the C64-platform.

This way, hopefully, it will become clear that you guys know kung-fu and that there is no spoon.

Hope I cleared things up a bit (pun unintended). If not, or if there are other questions or suggestions, just let me know..
2009-10-09 02:06
clonK
Account closed

Art students ftw :P
Hope it goes well stoter.
2009-10-09 07:41
Scout

Wat schuift het?

Translation: €? (overseas: $?)
2009-10-09 08:17
TPM

Quote: Wat schuift het?

yeah, music artist to the bone! ;-)
2009-10-09 13:39
Sander

Quote: Good thing that you ask this.. It won't be a pure demoparty, but more or less a hybrid happening.
Dance to the Bit is basically a micromusic-evening, focused on 8 bit dancemusic, with live music-performances and a VJ taking care of the visuals. For this edition, we want the audience to get some insight in the "coding-effort", the building-blocks of the stuff they're enjoying, and that's where we need the help of the demo-sceners, preferably on the C64-platform.

This way, hopefully, it will become clear that you guys know kung-fu and that there is no spoon.

Hope I cleared things up a bit (pun unintended). If not, or if there are other questions or suggestions, just let me know..

To be honest, i doubt there'll be a positive response to this. The description is quite vague - plus, i can't see how it would be rewarding doing it. (personally i wouldn't appreciate it when a party stops halfway to show a demo).

However, i do like the idea of 'promoting' the subculture as such to another creative group of people. Feel free to contact me, perhaps we can think of sth else instead, or how this idea would be feasible in some form... (i'm not volunteering to do a demo there - mind you).
2009-10-09 18:36
Reggy
Account closed

Quote: Art students ftw :P
Hope it goes well stoter.

thanks, clonK
no art student though..
http://www.let.uu.nl/tftv/nieuwemedia/weblog.php
;)
2009-10-09 18:37
Reggy
Account closed

Quote: Wat schuift het?

dunno yet how much more than payment of travel-expenses and free beer we can offer..

how much do you ask?
2009-10-09 18:43
Reggy
Account closed

Quote: To be honest, i doubt there'll be a positive response to this. The description is quite vague - plus, i can't see how it would be rewarding doing it. (personally i wouldn't appreciate it when a party stops halfway to show a demo).

However, i do like the idea of 'promoting' the subculture as such to another creative group of people. Feel free to contact me, perhaps we can think of sth else instead, or how this idea would be feasible in some form... (i'm not volunteering to do a demo there - mind you).

You're right, Sander, the description was rather vague. Thanks for pointing out the weak spot. Perhaps we can think of something else -- WORM is very flexible..
Would be good to brainstorm a bit with you. :)
2009-10-09 19:02
Celtic
Administrator

Stoter: let me just ask a question.. what are you to Worm?
are you a promoter, or someone who is trying to set up a night with the promoter or someone else there.

Also, what is the meaning of the night, and how does it work?

I have worked in the music/performance industry for several years (i was f.e. promoter at Patronaat Haarlem) so i am just wondering how this idea came about, and who are behind it. If you answer that, i perhaps can help or advise you...
2009-10-11 20:41
Reggy
Account closed

Quote: Stoter: let me just ask a question.. what are you to Worm?
are you a promoter, or someone who is trying to set up a night with the promoter or someone else there.

Also, what is the meaning of the night, and how does it work?

I have worked in the music/performance industry for several years (i was f.e. promoter at Patronaat Haarlem) so i am just wondering how this idea came about, and who are behind it. If you answer that, i perhaps can help or advise you...

Hi Celtic,

Thanks for responding! I'm an intern at WORM trying to set up a night with one of the staff-members, who's responsible for / the driving force behind these evenings.

The meaning of the Dance to the Bit-nights is to enjoy 8 bit (dance)music, with live performances and a (couple of) DJ('s) in a small club setting. The artists and audience are mostly affiliated with the micromusic-scene.

For this edition we wanted to invite members of the demoscene to program live on the spot... basically because it's just a cool thing to witness -- and perhaps some 8 bit music lovers are totally unaware that there even is something called a demoscene, which is a shame. The reason I posted my request here, and not on Amiga or PC forums, was... well... for us it was kinda obvious that the C64 is the ultimate platform to demonstrate the demoscene.. :)

Help or advice is always welcome.. hope I've answered your question..
2009-10-12 06:51
WVL

This kinda reminds me of that 'demo' that Krill made to be used for VJ-stuff. Never seen it though, and I don't think it's on CSDb. Also, a couple of hours to make something, that really sounds like you need a lot of finished stuff already..
2009-10-12 11:32
Ventura
Account closed

Ik ga dit gewoon in het nederlands schrijven, ik vindt het hele Dance to the Bit @ WORM Rotterdam verhaal behoorlijk onsamenhangend. Ongetwijfeld dat WORM erg flexibel is, bij ons staat de agenda voor dit jaar vol. Waar ik werk, en waar dat mag zijn zeg ik niet, hebben we hetzelfde aanbod.
Desalniettemin ik vond de performance van Jeroen Tel begin 2007 wel ok.
2009-10-12 22:07
goto80

WORM is a very nice venue, hope this works out in one form or another! maybe one idea is to hook a C64 into a videomixer and use it as a feed to the VJ. assembler code on big screen is donder! say yoyo to jan from me.
2009-10-13 14:08
Reggy
Account closed

Quote: WORM is a very nice venue, hope this works out in one form or another! maybe one idea is to hook a C64 into a videomixer and use it as a feed to the VJ. assembler code on big screen is donder! say yoyo to jan from me.

great idea! thanks, duly noted!
a big smile and two thumbs up from Jan when I said yoyo..
2009-10-13 16:48
Ventura
Account closed

Quote: great idea! thanks, duly noted!
a big smile and two thumbs up from Jan when I said yoyo..

Regarding visuals maybe it's a good idea to look on youtube, look for Jeroen Tel & C-MAN @ WORM performing the Turbo Outrun music.
RefreshSubscribe to this thread:

You need to be logged in to post in the forum.

Search the forum:
Search   for   in  
All times are CET.
Search CSDb
Advanced
Users Online
CaiSSoN/Ascraeus
Bansai/BSILabs
Juzdie/Artline Designs
Guests online: 122
Top Demos
1 Next Level  (9.8)