Log inRegister an accountBrowse CSDbHelp & documentationFacts & StatisticsThe forumsAvailable RSS-feeds on CSDbSupport CSDb Commodore 64 Scene Database
 Welcome to our latest new user Erik_Bam ! (Registered 2024-05-26) You are not logged in - nap
CSDb User Forums

Forums > C64 Pixeling > An update on ‘Pixel art in the C64 demoscene’
2024-02-01 16:54
Sander

An update on β€˜Pixel art in the C64 demoscene’

Dear fellow sceners,

In response to the comments we received, we’ve made some changes to the document.
Our goal was always to find common ground to maintain the fun and integrity of our hobby.

What this is not:
- It’s not written to limit anyone (only to encourage openness)
- It’s not aimed at specific individuals (it’s a scene wide practice)

Read the document here

We’d really love to hear your thoughts on this update.
Please post them in this thread, be kind and keep it constructive and on-topic please.
2024-02-01 19:49
acrouzet

Sounds pretty good to me. The primary use case for the document I can see is as a sort of primer for those getting into C64 graphics and the scene at large. The only thing I really question is the wording of the definition of creativity used in the doc. It's very hard to gauge what crosses the line between inspiration and copying, and this distinction may vary wildly from person to person. I personally believe that artists shouldn't be too afraid of being accused of copying, and the wording here may give people the wrong idea, if that makes sense.
2024-02-01 23:18
Burglar

this sounds much much better, well done!
2024-02-01 23:34
El Jefe

In my understanding the crucial message was there from the very beginning in v1 of the doc. It is great to see though, that the document has been updated and embraces all the constructive input that has been posted in the previous thread.

El Jefe/sidDivers
2024-02-02 10:31
Electric

Quote: Sounds pretty good to me. The primary use case for the document I can see is as a sort of primer for those getting into C64 graphics and the scene at large. The only thing I really question is the wording of the definition of creativity used in the doc. It's very hard to gauge what crosses the line between inspiration and copying, and this distinction may vary wildly from person to person. I personally believe that artists shouldn't be too afraid of being accused of copying, and the wording here may give people the wrong idea, if that makes sense.

The doc aims to recommend being creative, which in general is a good thing for the scene - to make something new and unique instead of making representations as C64 pixels. This is generally what art teaching is mostly about. It's a good healthy thing for the person making art too, to find his/her own way of doing and along it own identity as an artist.

In other words 'doing it all by yourself' is a way to learn while 'outsourcing it all' leads to learning less.

If we take a look at the current state of art, illustration and the visual world around us, we can of course see that wider and wider portion of it is getting involved by AI and heavy use of references. Refs are nothing new of course and those can be used either in creative ways or by simply copying. ‘Being incluenced’ is another thing – none of us is free from influences and even though we would not use ‘something’ intentionally our subconscious will do the work. However, I want to point out that the norms of today don’t really change the meaning of ‘creativity’. Shortly on the etymology of the word:

creatus - “to bring into being"
creare - “to make, bring forth, produce, procreate, beget, cause"

The doc is now written towards something that we (who wrote it) see benefitting the scene. Being creative is important part in this. I think it’s also very visible thing with whole C64 demoscene tradition - while some parts of it have more technical approach the main driving force behind the scene has always been in creating something new (or at least make it bit better than the rest).

In general about the new version: we read and discussed all the talk around the 1st version. The text is mostly all rewritten and tries to consider the critical points made on the earlier version that was titled as ‘a proposal’ on purpose.

As Sander wrote, we will adjust the new version too basing on the discussion here. So, let us know if something sounds weird, bad or anything else.
2024-02-02 14:48
chatGPZ

The sad figure in me is missing some more elaborate statement regarding gfx in demos (contrary to gfx compos), so it can be correlated better to the recent outcries. This way it leaves the sad figure baffled, wondering what all the fuzz was about - because it's basically what we already implemented in gfx compos decades ago.
2024-02-02 18:27
Krill

Quoting chatGPZ
The sad figure in me is missing some more elaborate statement regarding gfx in demos (contrary to gfx compos), so it can be correlated better to the recent outcries.
Demos and UNESCO (hah) und museums and such are mentioned, this seems to imply... something.

"HUMANMADEPIXELS"! :)

"Being creative? We believe it is Using your own mind, We feel it is not Outsourcing to AI."

Meanwhile, waiting for more great stuff like https://demozoo.org/productions/336619/ https://youtu.be/1PYzXyoasmc?t=426 - pretty creative guy, that. I believe he is human.
2024-02-02 18:39
chatGPZ

Museum is so 2003
2024-02-02 18:43
Krill

"Use of AI and conversion tools is commonly frowned upon."

Not so sure about the latter. Seeing the high frequency of some top-ranked artists churning out high-quality pieces, i'd be surprised (and doubtful) if there wasn't conversion involved at some point in the process. Not the final stages (manual brush-up), though.
2024-02-02 19:17
ws

Just a word on the whole conversion thing. Conversions must be possible. Or else all the code and many of the music will be next to be frowned upon in compos, because crossdevelopment. I don't see why, if i made something in Photoshop, converted it and corrected any details, why that it not human/handmade.
(So basically, what krill said)
2024-02-02 20:03
Deev

Quote: "Use of AI and conversion tools is commonly frowned upon."

Not so sure about the latter. Seeing the high frequency of some top-ranked artists churning out high-quality pieces, i'd be surprised (and doubtful) if there wasn't conversion involved at some point in the process. Not the final stages (manual brush-up), though.

This is why there's a request for transparency. Because clearly some top-ranked artists are regularly taking shortcuts and yet everything is being judged the same. It doesn't feel like a level playing field.
2024-02-02 20:06
4gentE

Quote:
Meanwhile, waiting for more great stuff like https://demozoo.org/productions/336619/ https://youtu.be/1PYzXyoasmc?t=426 - pretty creative guy, that. I believe he is human.

What an utter garbage.
2024-02-02 20:10
Deev

Quote: Just a word on the whole conversion thing. Conversions must be possible. Or else all the code and many of the music will be next to be frowned upon in compos, because crossdevelopment. I don't see why, if i made something in Photoshop, converted it and corrected any details, why that it not human/handmade.
(So basically, what krill said)

As the document mentions, it's about who decides how the artist's vision should look on the C64. Cross-development is fine if it's the artist who is in control, but if someone is using a tool to convert a high-resolution PC image to the C64 (even if it's an original piece they drew themselves), the tool is then making those decisions.
2024-02-02 20:28
chatGPZ

That really seems like an odd idea. Why wouldn't you be "allowed" to draw your image on paper, scanning and converting that, and then work from this?

Comparing this with "convert mp3 to sid" seems even more odd. What if i play a tune on guitar myself, and then convert it into tracker notes (With melodyne, this might actually be doable)? And how would this be different from playing it on the keyboard - and then use midi to put the notes into the tracker - which is pretty much the common way to do it for many people these days?

As long as no content from 3rd party was used in the process, i don't see how the tools being used matter. At all.
2024-02-02 20:32
ws

What about C/C++ code that is transpiled to C64 asm? The coder also has (afaik, correct me if i am wrong) no real control over how the code turns out.

I am not trying to nitpick, i want to get an angle on how to better narrow down how to describe the unwanted conversion cases.
2024-02-02 20:32
Krill

Quoting chatGPZ
As long as no content from 3rd party was used in the process, i don't see how the tools being used matter. At all.
Indeed.

And "the tool is then making those decisions"... What? Why? :)
Are there no knobs and twiddles to control the tool?
2024-02-02 20:33
Krill

Quoting ws
What about C/C++ code that is transpiled to C64 asm?
Cannot be compared, and please do not say "transpile". =)
2024-02-02 20:34
chatGPZ

Its the same in every tracker - "packing" the tune will basically convert the "high resolution" representation into something that will be the final sid tune (which will ideally sound very close - but not necessarily, and often not 100% the same, like the "high resolution" tracker "original")
2024-02-02 20:35
Deev

Quote:
That really seems like an odd idea. Why wouldn't you be "allowed" to draw your image on paper, scanning and converting that, and then work from this?

Let's flip the question around. why do people try to hide that they're doing this? The document is asking for transparency.
2024-02-02 20:38
Deev

Quote:
What about C/C++ code that is transpiled to C64 asm? The coder also has (afaik, correct me if i am wrong) no real control over how the code turns out.

I expect if a tool came out that could do this better than a human can code asm (or even as good as), we might start to see some coders who wanted competitions that celebrated the traditional ways of doing things.
2024-02-02 20:40
chatGPZ

Quote:
Let's flip the question around. why do people try to hide that they're doing this? The document is asking for transparency.

That's a completely different question to me.

If someone really drew something by himself and then scanned it - how does it even matter if he works this way, or drew it in photoshop, or in Koalapainter?

This whole "transparency" really only makes sense to me IF someone is using 3rd party material.
2024-02-02 20:42
chatGPZ

Quote:
I expect if a tool came out that could do this better than a human can code asm (or even as good as), we might start to see some coders who wanted competitions that celebrated the traditional ways of doing things.

Every modern compiler on a modern platform produces better asm code than most coders (even good ones).

And on C64... you'd be surprised how much code has been generated and optimized by tools. Since decades.
2024-02-02 20:44
Deev

Quote: Quote:

That's a completely different question to me.

If someone really drew something by himself and then scanned it - how does it even matter if he works this way, or drew it in photoshop, or in Koalapainter?

This whole "transparency" really only makes sense to me IF someone is using 3rd party material.

Maybe to a lot of people it doesn't. If people are transparent, the audience can decide.
2024-02-02 20:45
ws

Quote: Quoting ws
What about C/C++ code that is transpiled to C64 asm?
Cannot be compared, and please do not say "transpile". =)

Ok, sorry, you're right, i used the wrong term. So: when someone writes code in any high-level language and compiles it to C64 ML, isn't that compareable in terms of "conversion"?
2024-02-02 20:47
Deev

Every modern compiler on a modern platform produces better asm code than most coders (even good ones).

And on C64... you'd be surprised how much code has been generated and optimized by tools. Since decades.

Unless I've missed something, C64 demos are not usually written in c++. There's a reason for that?
2024-02-02 20:50
chatGPZ

Quote:
Maybe to a lot of people it doesn't. If people are transparent, the audience can decide.

To me this whole debate seems to be much more about curiosity than fairness by now. And as for that, when i am curious about how someone made this and that - i'll ask. I might get an answer (and often do), or not - and both is just fine. No one is obliged to tell anyone. Or even do it in advance.
Quote:
Unless I've missed something, C64 demos are not usually written in c++. There's a reason for that?

Not directly, sure. But all kinds of high level languages (including c++, i am sure) are used to produce the code in one way or another.
2024-02-02 20:58
Deev

Quote:
To me this whole debate seems to be much more about curiosity than fairness by now. And as for that, when i am curious about how someone made this and that - i'll ask. I might get an answer (and often do), or not - and both is just fine.

From a graphician's point of view, process is interesting to see and sharing that process helps us learn. Again, the document mentions that. It's about fairness as well though.
2024-02-02 21:03
ws

@deev - not that i am a fan of his work, but would you consider the art of andy warhol unworthy to be entered into a compo, as in "unoriginal/uncreative" ?
2024-02-02 21:08
chatGPZ

Quote:
From a graphician's point of view, process is interesting to see and sharing that process helps us learn.

Sure, that's the same with code - obviously. That's purely about curiosity though. And you can't demand anyone to share anything because you are curious.
2024-02-02 21:14
Deev

From a graphician's point of view, process is interesting to see and sharing that process helps us learn.

Sure, that's the same with code - obviously. That's purely about curiosity though. And you can't demand anyone to share anything because you are curious.

No-one is demanding anything, it's a proposal. Sander asked for people's thoughts.
2024-02-02 21:22
chatGPZ

Quote:
No-one is demanding anything

really? Are we looking at the same document? Have we seen the same walls of outcry recently? I really wonder.

But that's exactly why i was mentioning demos vs gfx compos. In a compo you can demand this and that. Elsewhere... not so much. You could kindly ask, and might get an answer. Or not.
2024-02-02 21:38
CreaMD

To me this whole debate seems to be much more about curiosity than fairness by now. And as for that, when i am curious about how someone made this and that - i'll ask. I might get an answer (and often do), or not - and both is just fine. No one is obliged to tell anyone. Or even do it in advance.
Quote:

Not directly, sure. But all kinds of high level languages (including c++, i am sure) are used to produce the code in one way or another.

When we strictly talk about compo and the way it is presented. There is no way to know how it was made. You just see one picture after another. No time to ask anything.

That's why I think it's quite important (and it's not just about curiosity) to see how the picture was made. Is it original, derivative work (the author should be credited), is ai generated? Was it pixelled on native c64 tool from reference? Was it pixelled/drawn on crossplattform tool? Was it converted and then retouched? Such things. Most of the time, the process shouldn't affect the score, but in case of derivative work (if they are accepted as compo entries) people would least have chance to see the context. For online compo thus should be a requirement I think.

or party compos, it should be doable too, and in uniform way. You just need to wrap every image in presentation screen which shows all the info and after space, shows the compo entry. It shouldn't be hard to do C64 tool, and online tool capable of doing such packaging. I would call it "birthlist".
2024-02-02 21:42
ws

how about "optional/voluntary birthlist". hey magician, what's in that hat?
2024-02-02 21:47
CreaMD

Quote: how about "optional/voluntary birthlist". hey magician, what's in that hat?

I think birthlist should be requirement. Stages can be, but doesn't necessarily have to be, part of that. If note about sources, process and tools is handed in (and then presented on big screen before each the entry in some uniform way), stages probably won't be that necessary.

Imagine someone submits entry with this birthlist: original sketch, converted, pixel retouched. Stages won't be necessary. Just one picture of original sketch.
2024-02-02 22:13
chatGPZ

Those things are however totally up to whoever organizes the compo :) I don't see this happening myself, not in such strict sense anyway - as that is quite some extra burden for the organizers (and takes extra time to prepare and show - and verify).
2024-02-02 22:14
ws

Ok so, let's say we have all the things that should be done, the moral and ethical and philosophical parameters in line as a good, reusable ruleset for works that should be submitted to a compo. Let's say someone is not truthful and in a deceptive or creative way finds solutions to circumnavigate QC.
Then what? Within the time of the compo all the facts have to be proven wrong? It is okay to disrespect participants who have been "found out"?
Does a ruleset really help to educate "cheaters"? Or does it just justify retrospective criticism? What if i am just a troll who enters a very sophisticated trolly entry and i am only found out weeks later? Does that does that subsequently improve the value of my seemingly underestimated contribution?
- Again, i love philosophical questions, and since the scene is full of (very lovely) magic, trickery, eyewash and boom effects - how would it help to have a refined ruleset?
I suppose it is only being applied at one or two parties/compos at all, but: how do you fact check before the results are out? Because: who carez if anyone complains if the results are published? People are namevoting, people are voting anynomously.
Would it really make you feel better? Is it really only about fairness?
2024-02-02 22:16
Krill

Quoting Deev
This is why there's a request for transparency. Because clearly some top-ranked artists are regularly taking shortcuts and yet everything is being judged the same. It doesn't feel like a level playing field.
Pretty sure that graphicians on this platform (at least) have never quite agreed on what's good practice and what's "cheating" or "taking shortcuts", long before AI or even wiring were serious business.

Transparency is a good thing, but it should remain optional.
And even when it isn't, you can lie about your process.

Quoting Deev
They'd be a minority, and they exist already. :)
2024-02-02 22:21
chatGPZ

Reminds me how Graham explained to me at Mekka96 how using a crossassembler is lame, because libraries <3
2024-02-02 22:22
4gentE

@ws: I see this problem (and possible solution) like this. I live in an apartment building. I separate my waste. I’m sure that some of my neighbors do not. I still think it’s a good idea (separating recyclables from bio etc.). The number of people that do not separate is in decline.
2024-02-02 22:28
acrouzet

In the end I think the overall goal here should be encouraging more transparency in graphics. If there's more transparency, individuals can make judgments on what processes they prefer rather than attempting to enforce scene-wide rules. Like I said before, the scene is very decentralized, so rule enforcement coming from a single source may be very difficult.

I think what makes graphics conversion such a difficult topic is that converting graphics is much more automated than say, converting notes from a DAW into a music tool, which still requires you to create much of the work yourself.
2024-02-02 22:31
ws

oh man i almost searched my ass of to find this gem again.

School Of Life
2024-02-02 22:39
chatGPZ

Quote:
I think what makes graphics conversion such a difficult topic is that converting graphics is much more automated than say, converting notes from a DAW into a music tool, which still requires you to create much of the work yourself.

Are you sure? A decent converter can produce pretty good results, certainly comparable to what those common ifli converters do for gfx. How much manual work do you think was spent on Aurora Remix?
2024-02-02 22:47
acrouzet

Are you sure? A decent converter can produce pretty good results, certainly comparable to what those common ifli converters do for gfx. How much manual work do you think was spent on Aurora Remix?

Ah. wasnt thinking about MOD converts, but I'd say that it's pretty obvious when digi is used. Perhaps one can spot a graphics conversion by dither patterns or something, but it's less of a certain thing.
2024-02-02 22:48
chatGPZ

I can do the same with regular .sid, no problem. Its just another commandline :) (And this one is 2 channels sid too)

And indeed - converted gfx is usually super easy to spot on first sight. At least if you have played with this a bit yourself, the flaws and typical patterns are often very obvious.
2024-02-02 22:52
CreaMD

Convert this ;-) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=27mB8verLK8
2024-02-02 22:55
chatGPZ

If you have a midi or mod, sure doable. And just like with converting GFX, the result depends a lot on the original - i certainly tried many more tunes than i released, a lot turn out pretty meh (just like effortless gfx converts)
2024-02-02 22:57
ws

now what https://bitmidi.com/pirates-of-the-caribbean-hes-a-pirate-3-mid
2024-02-02 22:59
CreaMD

Quote: If you have a midi or mod, sure doable. And just like with converting GFX, the result depends a lot on the original - i certainly tried many more tunes than i released, a lot turn out pretty meh (just like effortless gfx converts)

Totally.
2024-02-02 23:01
chatGPZ

We'll see how drunk i am this weekend. I havent touched this crap for a decade (wtf), i am sure kickass broke by now and it wont even assemble the old source anymore :)
2024-02-02 23:02
acrouzet

Quote: I can do the same with regular .sid, no problem. Its just another commandline :) (And this one is 2 channels sid too)

And indeed - converted gfx is usually super easy to spot on first sight. At least if you have played with this a bit yourself, the flaws and typical patterns are often very obvious.

Converting regular .sid still requires you to make all the instruments and do some manual adjustments with effects. I'd actually say that in some cases converting is harder than just inputting into the tracker directly.

If most people indeed can spot converted graphics easily, then is this entire discussion just about trying to get the scene to wholly accept or reject certain graphics-making processes? I think shifting everyone's perceptions of what artistic processes are accepted may be near-impossible unfortunately. Certainly fighting over it constantly isn't gonna make any progress if what's been happening so far is any indication. Educating people (in a non-judgmental way) to value artistic integrity is one of the ways I can see this issue getting better though.
2024-02-02 23:06
ws

Hold my beer while i make this easier for you

How to convert MIDI to SID the lazy way!
2024-02-02 23:06
chatGPZ

Quote:
Converting regular .sid still requires you to make all the instruments and do some manual adjustments with effects.

Not for MIDI - i already have complete GM set and just convert, including slides and such stuff. The only thing to do manually is selecting which channels will be mapped where.

Of course to make it *good*, it will require more effort - but the same is true for gfx.
2024-02-02 23:07
acrouzet

I stand corrected, wasn't aware of these tools. Though frankly these tools have existed for other sound systems for ages and people in chiptune circles don't really take them seriously in my experience.
2024-02-02 23:11
Dr. TerrorZ

Quote: @deev - not that i am a fan of his work, but would you consider the art of andy warhol unworthy to be entered into a compo, as in "unoriginal/uncreative" ?

What might have been an ingenious and needed move in the world of art at a particular moment in time, doesn't necessarily have a place within demoscene. I don't know why not. Buy at least simply taking someone's work and showing it as your own cannot really be equated with what pop artists were doing.

Perhaps the gesture was already so old by 1980s, and cannot work the same way in a world that's gone so far digital. Although the Warhol stunt with Amiga is now well remembered, I don't think many thought it very interesting that he could now recreate his old approach on a computer.

I guess the Warhol case shows the AI debate about authorship and what passes for creativity, are already rather old. The issue was raised eventually, whether it was right to copy Curt Swan's Superman just like that, or rip off the graphic designers who did the original Brillo boxes or Campbell's soup can designs.
2024-02-02 23:12
chatGPZ

Using that kind of tools is common business in "the industry" too :) Chris Hülsbeck wrote one as well (Musyx for the Gameboy) :)
2024-02-02 23:16
acrouzet

Quote: Using that kind of tools is common business in "the industry" too :) Chris Hülsbeck wrote one as well (Musyx for the Gameboy) :)

Yeah. It really is a subjective thing that can vary in perception from case to case. Though in most cases the "midislaps" are just badly done "8-bit cover" spam on YouTube which is easily discernible by anyone who knows a bit about the sound hardware.

In all honesty, I'm tempted to say: if it isn't ripping anyone off, who cares how it was made? To most, what matters is the end result's quality and its use of hardware limitations.
2024-02-02 23:19
chatGPZ

Quote:
In all honesty, I'm tempted to say: if it isn't ripping anyone off, who cares how it was made?

That's pretty much what i was saying before.

I can turn it the other way around too. If some picture has this typical converter look to me - i don't give a damn if its actually converted or not, i won't like it either case. No Birthlist or reference list will change that. (And some of the supposed top pixelers fall into this frequently)
2024-02-02 23:25
acrouzet

and what usually eventually happens with rip-offs is that those who do the ripping off get caught. I don't recall seeing many covers passed off as original works in original music compos.

I think the conversation may have drifted from the original point of the use of AI. I'm of the opinion that AI art isn't solely the creative work/property of the prompter, so in a sense I'm of the opinion that not disclosing the use of AI is kind of like "ripping off the AI". The problem with AI is that there isn't an original work to compare with, thus less of a chance of detecting its use.
2024-02-02 23:36
chatGPZ

yes, totally. AI use is special. Although i have seen really cool images produced by it - which would pass as original works.

(And for giggles, here is one of those failed attempts. No, the prg will never leave my HD :o))
2024-02-02 23:43
CreaMD

In all honesty, I'm tempted to say: if it isn't ripping anyone off, who cares how it was made?

That's pretty much what i was saying before.

I can turn it the other way around too. If some picture has this typical converter look to me - i don't give a damn if its actually converted or not, i won't like it either case. No Birthlist or reference list will change that. (And some of the supposed top pixelers fall into this frequently)

I totally agree with you. When the result is great it doesn't matter how was it done. That's why I'm not retracting my 10 vote from you know which demo.

There is just that one slight problem. Attribution and acknowledgement.

The right of the creator or author of a work to be recognized as the author of their work. It is a moral right that ensures the creator's association with their work is acknowledged, giving them credit for their creativity and effort. This right is particularly important in the context of copyright law because it not only respects and honors the creator's personal connection to their creation but also helps in maintaining the work's integrity and authenticity.

(the last paragraph is slapped in from chatGP(Z)T ;-) I think it sums it up perfectly.

The "birthlist" is just idea to be able to present the compo the way, that it actually is able to "somehow" tell audience what are they going to see. If that doesn't affect their vote, good, if it does, good. In my opinion something like for example:

Screen 1.
Beatiful lady
AI generated
Conversion
PixelRetouched in XYZ crossplatform editor
Multicolor

Screen 2.
The gfx itself.

Is much beter than nothing. And it even makes the compo presentation nicely organized.
2024-02-02 23:47
chatGPZ

Everytime copyright law is mentioned as a reason to do whatever, in a scene that is largely based on ignoring just that, a kitten dies :(
2024-02-02 23:49
acrouzet

Quote: Everytime copyright law is mentioned as a reason to do whatever, in a scene that is largely based on ignoring just that, a kitten dies :(

Copyright law hasn't been about the artists in a long time (or forever?) anyway.
2024-02-02 23:55
4gentE

Copyright law primarily deals with lost (real or imagined) revenues and fair use. But it’s unfortunately the only law we have for now. This should change with the rise of AI.
2024-02-02 23:59
CreaMD

Btw. when we are talking about AI, this is almost passable asd good quality production. Beautiful colors

Source: playground.com. Converted using RetroPaint (sic) by Krzysztof Andrzej

It's still visible it's not hand retouched, but the control over colors (and dithering patterns, as I have hear) is quite cool feature.

The AI itself is not going anywhere, it will only get better and better and if some insane enthusiast trained it on C64 pixel art techniques, it might even happen that all this kind of images might be generated without middleman tools. I'm saying that in neutral tone. I'm probably more worried percepted value of art, in future. My daughter (17) is studying art school, I wonder what future holds for her. ;-/
2024-02-03 00:01
acrouzet

It all depends on if people are willing to be honest about the use of AI. I like to believe that humans value things made by other humans.
2024-02-03 00:02
chatGPZ

Quote:
It's still visible it's not hand retouched

Did you mean: it screams CONVERTED!!!!! so loud, i have to close the tab or my neighbours will complain.
2024-02-03 00:05
CreaMD

Quote: Everytime copyright law is mentioned as a reason to do whatever, in a scene that is largely based on ignoring just that, a kitten dies :(

Dude. This is an old joke. We no longer operate from our childhood bedrooms. I'm sure you have noticed that we can't be totally careless with certain high profile stuff. SMB64 comes to mind.
2024-02-03 00:06
chatGPZ

Don't give me this nonsense that people are no more pirating all over the place.

(There never was a problem with SMB64, that supposed C&D some Website claimed to have seen never existed, that was plain old attentionwhoring. The original links on Lemon are still there and work.)
2024-02-03 00:09
acrouzet

Just in general I don't think that citing copyright law is the best be-all end-all for arguments concerning the rights of creators. I think that may be what GPZ was getting at.
2024-02-03 00:10
CreaMD

Quote: Copyright law hasn't been about the artists in a long time (or forever?) anyway.

That's why I start with attribution and acknowledgement and that's why I say that the explaining paragraph is lazily pasted from chatGPT. I didn't want to skew and manipulate it to prove my point just to solely talk about chivalry of respecting of other authors, but I think that is obvious. Btw. (and I promise this is the last time I'm mentioning it).

Look at this:

Artist Credits:
Design: Ian MacDonald, Tom Jilesen, Zac Roane
Sculpt: Igor Catto, Steve Lord
Mold and Cast: Adam Smith
Paint: Chie Izuma, Holly Knevelbaard
Cut and Sew: Tim Hanson
The Sideshow Design and Development Team

This is complete credits for the thing that on our plattformu has just one TAG stamped on top right corner of the image.

Where one (original) author goes lenghts to give respect to everyone who was directly or even indirectly involved in creation of his sculpture, the other author of derivative work just ignores it completely.
2024-02-03 00:13
acrouzet

I see, I got the sense that copyright law wasn't relevant to your point anyway.
2024-02-03 00:14
chatGPZ

But this is about giving credit (which was always regarded high in the scene) not copyright (which does not exist in the scene)
2024-02-03 00:17
CreaMD

Quote: Don't give me this nonsense that people are no more pirating all over the place.

(There never was a problem with SMB64, that supposed C&D some Website claimed to have seen never existed, that was plain old attentionwhoring. The original links on Lemon are still there and work.)

Where on CSDB can I download it? And I don't say you aren't right, there is pirating all over place, but nobody goes around recracking, stealing other's work etc. We are past that I think. We even have some period when downloads aren't available for cracks. I don't want to kill too many kittens, but obviously something has changed during the past 20 years.
2024-02-03 00:17
4gentE

Quote:
But this is about giving credit (which was always regarded high in the scene) not copyright (which does not exist in the scene)

Right.
2024-02-03 00:18
CreaMD

Quote: But this is about giving credit (which was always regarded high in the scene) not copyright (which does not exist in the scene)

Exactly. Attribution and acknowledgement. A.k.a. giving credit where credit is due.
2024-02-03 00:19
acrouzet

Quote: Where on CSDB can I download it? And I don't say you aren't right, there is pirating all over place, but nobody goes around recracking, stealing other's work etc. We are past that I think. We even have some period when downloads aren't available for cracks. I don't want to kill too many kittens, but obviously something has changed during the past 20 years.

We've started respecting creators, regardless of copyright law I think. The SMB64 takedown may be more cautionary rather than value-based though, since Nintendo is very infamous for being stingy over its IP.
2024-02-03 00:22
chatGPZ

Quote:
Where on CSDB can I download it?

Strawman. Also it'd be no problem - as said, original links still work fine.
Quote:
but nobody goes around recracking, stealing other's work etc. We are past that I think. We even have some period when downloads aren't available for cracks. I don't want to kill too many kittens, but obviously something has changed during the past 20 years.

None if this is related to copyright law. And there ARE other easily accessable places (even websites) where you can download every single new crack, no problem. csdb is NOT the scene.
2024-02-03 00:24
4gentE

Quote:
We've started respecting creators, regardless of copyright law I think

And that’s a great achievement! Let’s cherish that and expand on it further.
2024-02-03 00:27
chatGPZ

PS: if you can think for a minute - you can also download those cracks from csdb (and i believe also SMB64).
2024-02-03 00:29
CreaMD

Where on CSDB can I download it?

Strawman. Also it'd be no problem - as said, original links still work fine.
Quote:
but nobody goes around recracking, stealing other's work etc. We are past that I think. We even have some period when downloads aren't available for cracks. I don't want to kill too many kittens, but obviously something has changed during the past 20 years.

None if this is related to copyright law. And there ARE other easily accessable places (even websites) where you can download every single new crack, no problem. csdb is NOT the scene.

Well, you are right, I choose carefully ;-)

CSDB is not the scene, but it strives to be single source of truth about scene. I just state that here for the sake of endlessly exchanging arguments with you, though. So let's cut it. Of course it's not about copyright, I was just lazy and sincere, I didn't want to manipulate the text to solely concentrate on my point, I didn't need that, but I should have known (you being you) that you will not leave it without response. I should have known better ;-)
2024-02-03 00:31
CreaMD

Quote: PS: if you can think for a minute - you can also download those cracks from csdb (and i believe also SMB64).

You are probably right, I didn't chooose carefully, but I had you ... at least for minute. ;-)
2024-02-03 00:32
acrouzet

Just goes to show that ChatGPT/AI still isn't great at automating information and creativity (in this case, expressing your thoughts through information as a contribution to a creative work/argument).
2024-02-03 00:39
chatGPZ

I'd still like to know how all this applies to gfx in demos. That's what spawned the wall of outcry afterall. You guys don't expect that "we" mention every single original artist, in case we convert whatever from the internet, do you?
2024-02-03 00:48
CreaMD

Quote: Just goes to show that ChatGPT/AI still isn't great at automating information and creativity (in this case, expressing your thoughts through information as a contribution to a creative work/argument).

Absolutely. I try from time to time to past my text there and ask to correct grammar and stylistic mistaked, but most of the time I end up with my original crap. It's just too flamboyant in general setting, and I don't feel like tweaking it.
2024-02-03 00:49
acrouzet

Quote: I'd still like to know how all this applies to gfx in demos. That's what spawned the wall of outcry afterall. You guys don't expect that "we" mention every single original artist, in case we convert whatever from the internet, do you?

I believe it was an artist using AI without mentioning it? I think we're just asking that people who want to use AI be transparent about it at least.
2024-02-03 00:50
4gentE

Quote:
… mention every single original artist, in case we convert whatever from the internet…

Nah, just attribute it to AI ;-)
2024-02-03 00:53
chatGPZ

Quote:
I think we're just asking that people who want to use AI be transparent about it at least.

In demos?
2024-02-03 00:55
acrouzet

I think we're just asking that people who want to use AI be transparent about it at least.

In demos?

Anywhere really.
2024-02-03 00:55
chatGPZ

good luck
2024-02-03 00:58
CreaMD

Quote: I'd still like to know how all this applies to gfx in demos. That's what spawned the wall of outcry afterall. You guys don't expect that "we" mention every single original artist, in case we convert whatever from the internet, do you?

Imagine you are making something like Batman demo. Everybody knows that you are acknowleding that it's about Batman so you aren't misattibuting anything and the inspiration is fully acknowledged and still I would expect that you at least try to include note or have it in final credits scroll. I know nobody thinks about it's importance, but look at it from the perspective of someone who wants to put your demo into national library of C64 art. Ok that's a long stretch.

Do you remember Electric speaking about making an exhibition of Finnish scene art and how they realized that due to the nature of selection of themes and sources, they had not much to choose from certain period (at least not without explanation). That's the problem. Either we start to accept that we aren't that isolated as we thought, or we still be just weirdos that can't be taken seriously.

Is it that hard ,after you make so beautiful and well polished production, to make a final "movie like" scroller with comnplete credits? That would not only look cool, but also give even more weight to the production. It's not that bad to think about c64 productions this way. In my opinion.
2024-02-03 01:02
chatGPZ

I don't see the problem really. Demos are not for museums. And i don't care if general arts takes them seriously. Or anyone else really. (And i am sure a lot of sceners will agree)

THAT is the "problem" we are discussing here? Really?
2024-02-03 01:17
CreaMD

Quote: I don't see the problem really. Demos are not for museums. And i don't care if general arts takes them seriously. Or anyone else really. (And i am sure a lot of sceners will agree)

THAT is the "problem" we are discussing here? Really?

Attribution and acknowledgement from the point of view of art and culture. And such things. I'm sure lot of sceners will also agree that not giving credit, and converting is bad. When you discuss that separatedly it leads to nothing, because as you remember there was this old thread which was just afful.. because:

"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man. And we wanna get loaded. And we wanna have a good time. And that's what we're gonna do."

But we aren't kids anymore. Some people take scene seriously and work with it as a plattform for their artistic expression, not just playground for reckless 40+ year old kids. And those people expressed their concern and laid out their ideas, and I sympathize with those ideas. It's not so hard to adopt them and it gives the whole scene credibility.
2024-02-03 01:23
chatGPZ

That indeed seems to be what the "problem" boils down to. Some (and its some, not many) take this stuff way too serious. And then make a huge fuzz about it, when the others do not. And they even have the nerve to demand from others that they should play by their rules, and stop being their inner child.

I wonder who are the sad figures by now.
2024-02-03 01:52
CreaMD

Quote: That indeed seems to be what the "problem" boils down to. Some (and its some, not many) take this stuff way too serious. And then make a huge fuzz about it, when the others do not. And they even have the nerve to demand from others that they should play by their rules, and stop being their inner child.

Hm. Last time I checked (before they released v2), some, if if not all, of those sad figures were prominent C64 graphics artists and the list went like this. And I'm quite sure more of their fellows would sign up.

4gentE / Triad
Archmage / Andromeda / ENONE / Fossil / Shape
Danny / Lemon / TBL
Deev / Onslaught
Dr. TerrorZ
Duce / Extend
Electric / Extend
ibux / Artline Designs
Joe / Wrath Designs
Lobo / Atlantis
Mikael / Pretzel Logic
Ptoing / Funkentstört
Sander / Focus
SIT
Sulevi / Extend / Virtual Dreams
The Sarge /Fairlight and Bonzai
Twoflower / Triad
Vent / Extend
Veto / Oxyron
Worrior1 / Proxima / W1 Productions / Artline Designs

Any other idiotic questions?
2024-02-03 01:53
Flotsam

Quote: That indeed seems to be what the "problem" boils down to. Some (and its some, not many) take this stuff way too serious. And then make a huge fuzz about it, when the others do not. And they even have the nerve to demand from others that they should play by their rules, and stop being their inner child.

Doesn't matter to me if someone copies, takes inspiration, converts, whatnot. Doesn't matter if he/she is serious or not, but it's common decency to mention the source if you're heavily inspired by something or clearly lending visual / aural ideas from someone. Also, there's this: (altough, traditionally it's something that doesn't apply to scene stuff) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Copyright

If I grab a .png from internet, I don't save it as .jpg and claim it's mine. It's no different from saving a .png pic in Koala format. It doesn't magically transform into my artwork, no matter how much I rasterize it to make up for the missing colours.

It's not a big thing to mention the sources. If you like something enough to work your ass off to make a version of it for C64, hasn't the original creator deserved your acknowledgment on his part in the creative process? In my view, converting a pic 1:1 is 5% of the work at max (mostly technical, not much creativity in producing patterns) and thus the original artist's share is at least 95% of the work. So, if someone's name needs to be left out of the credits, perhaps it should be the person who did the rasterizing instead of the actual artist who had an idea, a vision and who made it reality in the first place.

Basically, just don't piss on the people that are your inspiration.
2024-02-03 01:56
chatGPZ

And what stops them to just do all this stuff if they want it so bad?
2024-02-03 01:58
acrouzet

There's a difference between being unreasonably demanding and requesting that everyone do a few simple things to help to create an environment where both the more "serious" artists can thrive and the less "serious" people still have plenty of room to play. Social contracts and all that.
2024-02-03 02:00
chatGPZ

Thanks for that list. Seeing Danny in there is hilarious. So you don't take it serious afterall <3
2024-02-03 02:01
CreaMD

Quote: And what stops them to just do all this stuff if they want it so bad?

Exactly, why they can't strive to cultivate the scene culture? ;-)
2024-02-03 02:02
CreaMD

Quote: Thanks for that list. Seeing Danny in there is hilarious. So you don't take it serious afterall <3

You and me didn't sign it. It's still good. πŸ˜›
2024-02-03 02:08
El Jefe

Quote: And what stops them to just do all this stuff if they want it so bad?

Honesty would be one thing, but most are probably not up to that!

El Jefe/sidDivers
2024-02-03 02:10
acrouzet

At least we have this document now to encourage people
2024-02-03 02:14
chatGPZ

Quote:
There's a difference between being unreasonably demanding and requesting that everyone do a few simple things to help to create an environment where both the more "serious" artists can thrive and the less "serious" people still have plenty of room to play. Social contracts and all that.

We already established compos have their own rules. We are not discussing that - no one would oppose these need (and actually already have) certain rules to prevent abuse.

We were discussing demos. Random demos with random converted graphics. How does that even matter for those "serious" artists? Do you think someone would suddenly appreciate Duces or Electrics pictures (just to name some whose original work i really admire) less, because i am using a converted gif animation? I don't think so.
2024-02-03 02:21
El Jefe

Quoting chatGPZ
Quote:
We were discussing demos. Random demos with random converted graphics. How does that even matter for those "serious" artists? Do you think someone would suddenly appreciate Duces or Electrics pictures (just to name some whose original work i really admire) less, because i am using a converted gif animation? I don't think so.

If it participates in a demo compo, my personal opinion is that it is not ok either. Graphics in demos are the strongest impression that is conveyed to the audience. Not everyone understands programming and can judge the quality of the code. but everyone will let himself be impressed/guided by the graphics.

El Jefe/sidDivers
2024-02-03 02:26
acrouzet

I think giving credit should be encouraged. Art of all kinds has meaning to at least somebody, even if you don't think it matters. Even outside of compos, I think most artists have some desire to have their efforts be known and appreciated over others
2024-02-03 02:30
chatGPZ

As said before, those who organize compos can always set up the rules they see fit. (Eg Revision always had a "only original content" rule). This isn't about compo. (I wouldn't use anything converted in compo. I even refuse to use anything not made by someone in my group for that matter).
2024-02-03 02:39
acrouzet

Or rather, I should say, most artists have a desire to have their works be judged fairly in accordance with the efforts of others in general, outside of formal competitions. If a work is converted from a source image made by someone else, but people judge the work as if it was done entirely by the converter, that may seem unfair to an artist who's done everything themselves no matter where or how the work is presented. You don't need to have a competition with clear rankings to be affected by peoples' judgements.

Of course, if it's a "shitpost" demo with obvious converts of meme images and such, I can see why all this may be a bit excessive in that context.
2024-02-03 02:50
chatGPZ

To me its pretty clear where to draw the line for that matter - when the gfx is actually attributed to a proper gfx guy, then i expect its "handmade". On the other hand, i wouldn't count the demos using gfx made by Banshee as shitposting memes.
2024-02-03 02:57
acrouzet

Quote: To me its pretty clear where to draw the line for that matter - when the gfx is actually attributed to a proper gfx guy, then i expect its "handmade". On the other hand, i wouldn't count the demos using gfx made by Banshee as shitposting memes.

The line may be in different places for other people. And what counts as a "proper gfx guy", someone well-established in the scene? What does that mean for new artists?
2024-02-03 08:05
4gentE

Quote:
And they even have the nerve to demand from others that they should play by their rules, and stop being their inner child.

Nobody can force you to say hello to your neighbors. Nobody can force you to hold the door for an old lady. Not even parents. Most people do it anyway.
2024-02-03 11:11
Joe

I think the document is alright and points at a more beautiful future, where people, think, use tools to do art and show each other respect and talk about the creative side, shortcomings, land-winnings and helps each other to strive and become a more beautiful being; collectively also as a whole, for the remembrance for future generations. It can only get better from here. To say it in a positive side, as I see the trend is rather negative in what some believe us being "too serious", or "complicated elite-thinking". Bashing each other in wordy competitions and rhetoric gameplay? With really nothing to offer as a difference?

On the contrary. We want to release your inner child: And children, though I don't have any of myself, is rather curious and investigative creatures, which tries to find their own methods (and I'm not going shady here as to their need of love and food), but rather in what life has to offer!

So for you ding-dong guys: Who still have your dark-black views in your ideas about "fun", I leave it up to you. Let us bright people at least have the decency to acknowledge that they are working (me included) for doing something to strive forward, in having fun! But with doing it yourself and leaving the shit behind (A.I., converts, non-discussed references). And as someone pointed out, say hey to your neighbour, this is afterall the neighbourhood...
2024-02-03 11:28
4gentE

Well said Joe!
In the long run, the truth (honesty) will always set people free.
2024-02-03 14:06
chatGPZ

Quote:
The line may be in different places for other people. And what counts as a "proper gfx guy", someone well-established in the scene? What does that mean for new artists?

To me it is "proper" if it can be convincingly related to a real person (which is obviously easier for established sceners). Unknown people who pop up from nowhere and then produce top 10 stuff (without having a former track record - lman comes to mind as someone who did, and had, here) will always raise questions - and none of what was said before would change this, because that is just extremely unlikely.
2024-02-03 16:52
The Sarge

First, well said Joe! Very much agree on everything you wrote.

And now on to what I want to say.

Why do we ask for transparency?

Two scenarios for making an image for standalone GFX compos or graphics for demo compos. There’s maybe more but for easy comparison I made these two.

Scenario 1
1. Google something cool and save that image. Or prompt an AI and save that image.
2. Convert it, pixel over it, put your name on it and you’re done.

Scenario 2
1. Start drawing and painting when you are young, lets say you start at year two or three.
2. Practice, practice, practice and when you are 14-15 years old your art are starting to turn out pretty good.
3. By this time you have learned the coordination of the hand and brain. Shapes, anatomy, composition, lighting, color theory and it will only get better and better.
4. Now maybe you make a decision to do pixel art because you feel this is your thing. You use all the life long learning and put it to use with your first pixels.

Yes, it’s 15 years of learning. Sounds a lot. But now that knowledge is yours.

After this your skills will only evolve and you will keep getting better and better. More on point with your art, more stylised perhaps, really finding your thing within the realm of art. You grow immensely as a human. Understanding the why’s.

There is also the process of coming up with a theme, idea and everything that makes your image great for a graphic compo that is shortcutted out in Scenario 1.

So which scenario do we in the end want? Do we want real or fake?

One thing with transparency is it make it fair for the person that chose the Scenario 2 path because he/she thought it was the right thing to do.

Do we really want more Scenario 1 art? While there sometimes may be a reason for choosing Scenario 1 let’s at least be transparent and fair to your fellow scener and also to the original artist.
You can always ask yourself if you made art that was great, so great someone else would like to remove your name on it and put their own name on it and by that claiming it all is theirs and pretending they are a Scenario 2 artist. How would you feel about that?

The scene more or less did Scenario 1 back in the day and most recently maybe. But this doc is proposing a new shift in how we produce and think about art for our beloved C64. This is not about what has been done, its about what we do further on. What do we want to be remembered for?
As Electric said some while ago, he tried to find C64 demos that he could show in art exhibition but he had such a hard time finding original art that he could show.

Isn’t it better to be remembered for making our own thing from now on instead of using characters from super heroes without giving credit? Draw one yourself and pixel it. It will be so much better and have soul, your soul.
And that is important. You express yourself with your art. Not someone else’s.

Im sure this can work if we just agree to be transparent and honest with each other. After all, we are all friends and want to be good to each other.
2024-02-03 17:05
vincenzo

What would be your advice to a totally new and beginner person(s) who want to start pixeling?
Let's say:
1. young person without any experience with oldschool computers or graphics
2. middle aged person who has experience with newschool computers but without graphics experience

In my opinion it's very nice to have rules and guideance, but I'm not sure this document in its current form does even address people outside the scene. What is its purpose exactly?
I'm asking this because potentially I misunderstand something here. There's no encouragement of new people who have interest in drawing. If it's only about the demoscene, then all is good and clear.
2024-02-03 17:23
Deev

Quote: What would be your advice to a totally new and beginner person(s) who want to start pixeling?
Let's say:
2. middle aged person who has experience with newschool computers but without graphics experience

In my opinion it's very nice to have rules and guideance, but I'm not sure this document in its current form does even address people outside the scene. What is its purpose exactly?
I'm asking this because potentially I misunderstand something here. There's no encouragement of new people who have interest in drawing. If it's only about the demoscene, then all is good and clear.

I don't really see how it's any more or less relevant to newcomers than people who've been making C64 graphics since the 80s.

You mentioned pixelling, so I presume we're not talking someone who just wants to convert graphics and fix a few pixels.

If someone wants to recreate someone elses work either to learn, or just because that's what interests them, that's fine, they're just being asked to be transparent about it (there's a section on fan-art). If someone is hand-pixelling original pieces then I feel they would appreciate that kind of thing being encouraged within the scene.

When I started in the late-90s, people were encouraging me to start attempting my own pieces, so this isn't new.
2024-02-03 17:30
CreaMD

Quote: What would be your advice to a totally new and beginner person(s) who want to start pixeling?
Let's say:

I can see it from my daughters progress. She started with doing fan art. Her enthusiasm was fuelled by interest in characters. Later she started doing her own stuff (own characters). Own stuff maybe get's less interactions and likes, but it's honest way to progress. In school they do a lot of own stuff and they teach them various techinques and media. She still loves to do fanart from time to time.

So, to answer your question. Advice for totally new beginner who start pixelling would probably be something along these lines: Use whatever you love to do, whatever way you do. Be sincere and upfront about sources and techniques if you upload your entries to the scene database. Fill in the production notes. it will help the audience understand your process and results, and judge it accordingly.
2024-02-03 19:05
Krill

Quoting The Sarge
Scenario 1
1. Google something cool and save that image. Or prompt an AI and save that image.
2. Convert it, pixel over it, put your name on it and you’re done.

Scenario 2
[no AI at all]
I may be a bit naive (with an entirely wrong idea about how pixel graphics are made), but isn't this a bit of a false dichotomy?

As in, what about a third scenario, where you use AI to give you some ideas for a certain background object, or composition, or the like?
Or to give you that particular background object, which you'd take and modify (after AI involvement) to suit your needs and integrate it via the rest of your toolchain?
2024-02-04 10:50
Sander

Quoting Krill
I may be a bit naive (with an entirely wrong idea about how pixel graphics are made), but isn't this a bit of a false dichotomy?

As in, what about a third scenario, where you use AI to give you some ideas for a certain background object, or composition, or the like?
Or to give you that particular background object, which you'd take and modify (after AI involvement) to suit your needs and integrate it via the rest of your toolchain?

I believe The Sarge sketched the two extremes, as there are many scenario’s in-between.
Like you said, one example could be incorporating elements of AI in your work, in a supporting way.

In the end it boils down to:
- Doing it all yourself: Full creative authorship
- Outsourcing parts of the process to e.g. AI: Less creative authorship (to any extent)

Here’s a graph.

It doesn’t automatically mean the results have no or little creative value. It’s debatable in each case, depending to what extent AI has been applied.

As for your example earlier in this thread
It is creative use of AI images, tied together by a (assumingly, a human made) creative concept.
- Without the concept, how would you value each image seperately? I'd say, rather worthless.
- What if the concept was also AI generated? How would you value the demo and the author? I wouldn't value the 'author'.
- What if it was all kept a secret? Then the author would suggestively claim it all.

(As a side-note; As long as the prompt ‘cool bird’ (example) generates beautiful images, one can not claim artistic ownership over style, composition, etc. AI will give you 99+% of the image for free, so without a great human idea, it is generally just covering up creative poverty).
2024-02-04 15:51
Burglar

Quoting Sander
Here’s a graph.

Exactly. One could ask where to draw the line in relation to graphics competitions :)

For X'2024 I will make the necessary changes in votox to support transparency. This includes workstages.zip support and a better option to share the creative process in text. All will be shared automatically during voting.

I will not mandate transparency, but rely on proper scener behaviors: respect your fellow artists, please don't wire or use AI :)
2024-02-04 16:59
Jetboy

Quoting Sander

I believe The Sarge sketched the two extremes, as there are many scenario’s in-between.
Like you said, one example could be incorporating elements of AI in your work, in a supporting way.

In the end it boils down to:
- Doing it all yourself: Full creative authorship
- Outsourcing parts of the process to e.g. AI: Less creative authorship (to any extent)

Here’s a graph.

I can pixell all the pixels by hand, yet image might not be creative at all. Creativity is much more complicated than that.
2024-02-04 17:06
chatGPZ

Indeed, and you can be very creative just by "remixing" what others created. "Doing it all yourself" is mostly about craft, not about art.
2024-02-04 17:09
Krill

Quoting Sander
Here’s a graph.
Haha, that ELI5 graph was entirely superfluous. But funny nonetheless. =)

Quoting Sander
As for your example earlier in this thread
It is creative use of AI images, tied together by a (assumingly, a human made) creative concept.
- Without the concept, how would you value each image seperately? I'd say, rather worthless.
- What if the concept was also AI generated? How would you value the demo and the author? I wouldn't value the 'author'.
- What if it was all kept a secret? Then the author would suggestively claim it all.
It's part of a graphic novel that was written by a human and painted by a machine.
There was obviously no attempt to hide the fact that the imagery is AI-generated.
Whether parts of that story are machine-written, no idea (i don't think so), but at some point there'd be a supervising human mind directing the machines to produce somewhat coherent content.

It's not a demo at this point, but i consider it a piece of art that undoubtedly sprang from some human creativity (and i don't mean the countless unnamed artists who made the original content to train the AI).

Quoting Sander
As a side-note; As long as the prompt ‘cool bird’ (example) generates beautiful images, one can not claim artistic ownership over style, composition, etc. AI will give you 99+% of the image for free, so without a great human idea, it is generally just covering up creative poverty.
Obviously.
2024-02-04 17:41
4gentE

Quote:
I can pixell all the pixels by hand, yet image might not be creative at all.
Of course. And how creative is your work is for the audience to decide. It’s only fair to give them full disclosure.

Quote:
It's part of a graphic novel that was written by a human and painted by a machine.
The “graphic” part of that graphic novel is horrible. I hope we can agree on that. It also fails as a proof of concept. Because it’s superfluous: (1) of course prompt-to-img AI can do this, no need for proving it, that’s its main purpose and (2) of course images can be converted to HAM. So which concept it proves?
2024-02-04 17:52
Krill

Quoting 4gentE
The “graphic” part of that graphic novel is horrible. I hope we can agree on that. It also fails as a proof of concept. Because it’s superfluous: (1) of course prompt-to-img AI can do this, no need for proving it, that’s its main purpose and (2) of course images can be converted to HAM. So which concept it proves?
Thank you for giving some explanation to your original dismissive post #12. Let's agree to disagree, shall we.
2024-02-04 17:55
4gentE

Yeah, sorry for that short and pretty dumb first post (#12) on the subject.
2024-02-04 18:10
Jetboy

Quoting 4gentE
So which concept it proves?

Does art need to prove anything?
2024-02-04 18:38
Rex

With the right spirit and wording you can inspire others to join your efforts. Here is an example that I like a lot https://handmade.network/manifesto

The new version of the document does move somewhat in this direction. However some of the wording still seems more judgemental than inspiring. For instance the title and introduction indicates that the document defines good and bad art for the entire C64 scene.

To me, this smells more like gate keeping than inspiration. When I read this, I want to rebel against the arbiters of good taste - even if they may have valid points.

If the document was renamed to "Human made Pixel Art Manifesto for the C64 Demoscene" and reworded to inspire others to join, I believe you might have a better shot at starting a movement.

I am a coder, and not an artist. So take my opinions on art with a grain of salt.

“The old guard in any society resents new methods, for old guards wear the decorations and medals won by waging battle in the accepted manner.”
― Martin Luther King Jr., Why We Can't Wait
2024-02-04 18:49
chatGPZ

Yes, indeed, all of that :)
2024-02-04 19:02
zzarko

I am no artist by any means, as I have zero talent for graphics and music, nor I try to represent myself as one. I am here because it is fun, I like fiddling with old computers, their software, old and new. I enjoy watching demos, pictures, listening to music. I do not judge nor vote, as I do not consider myself neither important enough to do so nor that I have qualifications to do it.

So, as someone who is here for fun, here is my two cents on the topic if anyone cares:
Always Look On A Bright Side Of Life

Sorry for posting here, I think I understand both points of view, but I really feel a bit sad to see so many wonderful people arguing about stuff that, at least for me, is supposed to be enjoyable thing to do and share...
2024-02-04 19:17
4gentE

Quote:
When I read this, I want to rebel against the arbiters of good taste - even if they may have valid points.
I think that’s why the document has been posted here in a forum. So that the authors can see what people think, get help how to better phrase the thing. Posts like yours are very helpful in this respect.
2024-02-04 20:49
chatGPZ

That said, IMHO it would be a very good idea to replace all that "we expect..." by "we encourage...", "it would be nice to...", "we prefer..." or something like this.

And it should perhaps even mention that doing those things is perfectly fine, and normal, in the learning process.

The key point to me is "don't pretend to have done something that you didn't". Not how it was done.
2024-02-04 20:59
4gentE

@ChatGPZ : make sure you’re reading the v2 doc. There are no “we expect”s. It’s all “we believe” and “we encourage”.
2024-02-04 21:02
chatGPZ

I am looking at the link in the first post - is there another? (eg the bullet points after "It will often be the case that:")
Ok these are compo rules. Fine
2024-02-04 21:22
CreaMD

Quoting Groepaz
don't pretend to have done something that you didn't.

Carve in stone!
2024-02-04 22:46
Deev

Quote:
The key point to me is "don't pretend to have done something that you didn't". Not how it was done.

The first point is the key. Encouraging transparency is because if someone doesn't volunteer the information, the audience will often just assume they did it all themselves
2024-02-05 06:28
ws

Do not adorn yourselves outwardly [...] , but adorn yourselves inwardly with the lasting beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which is very precious in God's sight.
Source: 1 Peter 3:3-5

π•­π–Žπ–‡π–‘π–Š π–ˆπ–”π–“π–™π–Šπ–“π–™ π–‰π–Šπ–™π–Šπ–ˆπ–™π–Žπ–”π–“, 𝖆 π–˜π–Šπ–—π–›π–Žπ–ˆπ–Š π–‡π–—π–”π–šπ–Œπ–π–™ 𝖙𝖔 π–žπ–”π–š π–‡π–ž π–™π–π–Š π–ˆπ–π–šπ–—π–ˆπ– 𝖔𝖋 π–˜π–†π–™π–†π–“.
2024-02-22 13:24
rexbeng

Here's an interesting watch, about the ongoing relation between art and technology and the ethics involved.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cOFBAJStuk8
RefreshSubscribe to this thread:

You need to be logged in to post in the forum.

Search the forum:
Search   for   in  
All times are CET.
Search CSDb
Advanced
Users Online
csabanw
Higgie/Kraze/Slacker..
El Jefe/Slackers^sidD
Jammer
Clayboy
Drees