Log inRegister an accountBrowse CSDbHelp & documentationFacts & StatisticsThe forumsAvailable RSS-feeds on CSDbSupport CSDb Commodore 64 Scene Database
You are not logged in - nap
CSDb User Forums

Forums > C64 Pixeling > Best program to draw C64 graphics with on a PC and on a MAC?
2009-11-25 21:53
Morpheus

Best program to draw C64 graphics with on a PC and on a MAC?

One of the very best artists from days gone by wants to dabble with C64 pixels again, so I'm asking on his behalf.

Cheers, Morph

... 43 posts hidden. Click here to view all posts....

2009-11-26 14:54
Morpheus

@Deev: I think it would put too much pressure on the man if it was out that he was pixling again. I'll forward links to the tools suggested - thank you - and we'll see what comes of it. It's not The Sarge though. :)
2009-11-26 16:07
Carrion

On grafx2 subject...
I tried it last week and it indeed has a koala and hires support. the thing is that you have to take care of the limitations yourself because the tool allows you put as many pixels in a char as you want... which make the tool no usable for me.
I hope they will add limitations checking during the pixeling because grafx2 is really great one (and works on mac ;)

timathes support for c4 modes limitations is probably the best out there. you can put anything you want but if there's more than 3 colors timathes will show you a red error color.

btw: grafx2 has nice support for checkboard dithering if you wish to use it. but timanthes on the other hand has a variety of different "dithering shades" support.

i use timanthes when photoshop is not enough.
2009-11-26 17:14
enthusi

use GIMP with cbmplugs.
No kidding.
8x8 grid, check for clashes yourself.
I patched the cbmplugs a little so it tells you at least where it clashed during save :)
Made all/most of my HiRes with it...
See i.e. here:
http://enthusi.de/c64/tape/gimp.png
2009-11-26 17:56
jailbird

Quoting enthusi
use GIMP

Why do you hate us? :)
2009-11-26 18:29
chatGPZ

its not *that* bad :) quite OKish for simple things actually.

but i would certainly not recommend it to pixel something completely from scratch. unless you are TMR =P
2009-11-26 20:11
Deev

Quote: Quoting irwin
Probably because he wants simply paint - not fight with unknow GUI, specfic file load/save, very limit gfx tools (no layers) and many more. ;)

Can't speak in the name of all C64 graphicians around, but I for myself really love the vintage, limited ambience of working purely on a C64.
For me, PC software is useful only when no real C64 is around or have to get done something really quick. And even then, I tend to enjoy minimalistic interfaces like P1.

The conclusion is: don't think that an easier option is always a better option :)

I've not made anything in a C64 program for a few years now, though my use of PC tools for pixelling is generally pretty simplistic.

The only real advantages of using a PC that come to mind are...

- PC tools work much better with a mouse.
- I can spread my workspace over 1920x1200 pixels rather than 320x200.
- Quick save shortcuts with saves that only take a fraction of a second, no need to swap disks etc (have modern computers made me lazy? :) )
- Quick undo shortcuts (and lots of undo stages)
- Usually have various brush options which make it easy to dither large areas (which I used to HATE back in the days of setting individual pixels!)
- Fill tool, which Gunpaint/Funpaint etc never had.

...and unless I missed something really obvious that's about it! I sometimes use photoshop to build rough prototypes of ideas and layers can be handy if you want to try something without affecting the main image, but I don't think I really need anything else. Anything more would be eating into the pixelling process which (because I'm sick and twisted!), I quite enjoy! Like you, I don't even zoom in and out, I just use a fixed zoom and a preview window at 200%.
2009-11-27 07:30
VoDKa

I still use my ELiTe PAiNt when I paint. For outlines and PC-pixelgfx I use ProMotion.
2009-11-27 07:36
MagerValp

Quoting Deev
I sometimes use photoshop to build rough prototypes of ideas and layers can be handy if you want to try something without affecting the main image, but I don't think I really need anything else.

Layers are *very* useful if you work in any advanced modes with sprite over/underlays.

Oh, and as of build 1046 Grafx2 has layer support:

http://code.google.com/p/grafx2/issues/detail?id=7

I'm really hoping that the color restriction in gfx2 will be able to work with the layer system, so you can set individual restrictions per layer.
2009-11-27 09:06
Archmage

If you want to do MC or Hires I highly recommend Project One. If you want to work in XYZHIFLI-modes I highly recommend reconsidering. Remember: real men and women do it in Koala.
2009-11-27 11:27
Radiant

When I do stuff I tend to use Project One. Working on a successor to CrossPainter V0.1, but things are going slow...

For Vita Spiralis I did the initial sketch in Inkscape since I use that tool professionally and know my way around it by now. I liked that way of working and any future attempts at graphics from me will probably be done in the same way.
Previous - 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 - Next
RefreshSubscribe to this thread:

You need to be logged in to post in the forum.

Search the forum:
Search   for   in  
All times are CET.
Search CSDb
Advanced
Users Online
Alakran_64
Martin Piper
Guests online: 100
Top Demos
1 Next Level  (9.8)
2 Mojo  (9.7)