Log inRegister an accountBrowse CSDbHelp & documentationFacts & StatisticsThe forumsAvailable RSS-feeds on CSDbSupport CSDb Commodore 64 Scene Database
You are not logged in - nap
CSDb User Forums

Forums > CSDb Discussions > the ed and joe graphic spam bomb
2007-02-03 18:34
Burglar

the ed and joe graphic spam bomb

guys, do we really need those tons and tons of already released material to csdb? I think not.

especially when you don't even upload a file with it. if I want to see your stuff, I'll check the original production.
2007-02-03 18:40
T.M.R
Account closed

Got to be said, it's going a bit too far when we get entries for the fonts...
2007-02-03 18:49
Burglar

next we'll get seperate entries for every pixel they ever placed on a c64 screen.
2007-02-03 18:52
TDJ

If you ask me (and you do), it's way too much. I love the Wrath productions as much as the next scener but this is getting out of hand. Any moment now we'll have to rename csdb into the wsdb.
2007-02-03 18:56
Deev

personally I quite like it, it's a shame that some of this stuff gets lost away inside other productions and it's good to be able to browse them in this way. Plus there's a lot of unreleased stuff.

I guess whether it fits the purpose of csdb or whether it should be on some kind of portfolio site is open to debate though...
2007-02-03 18:59
Burglar

eventhough most of the gfx they did is great, its heavily polluting the database.

for example, when I search for Vandalism News, I want to see all VN issues, not 987 seperate screenshots of those 48 issues. it is very annoying and should all be removed.

except for the gfx that havent been released yet, ofcourse. but please, delete the dupes!
2007-02-03 19:01
TDJ

Quote: personally I quite like it, it's a shame that some of this stuff gets lost away inside other productions and it's good to be able to browse them in this way. Plus there's a lot of unreleased stuff.

I guess whether it fits the purpose of csdb or whether it should be on some kind of portfolio site is open to debate though...

IMHO csdb should hold information about actual productions, not parts of those. I'm with Enno on this one: remove the dupes.
2007-02-03 19:10
Ed

I think you guys most get a grip together. Lets say all these releases would have been released over a 2-4 years time, you would probably not have complained one single bit.

Yeah, probably to perff or in some other forum when you realized that csdb has still some features to be improved...
but that would not have anything to do with Wrath Designs, Joe or Ed... So come on... ;)

And calling it spam? Are you comparing our stuff to WDR or someone else, TDJ?
2007-02-03 19:12
Joe

Please! I understand your point of view, now listen to mine: Most of the artwork made during the years wasn't released due to the fact that neither of the participant members had time nor outside connections to follow up/complete several main issues.

I felt the urge of getting rid of old stuff these last week’s out in the open, where it belongs as a part of a democratic process as a part of transparency of the "hidden" work the studio had produced so far (which at the moment isn't possible at our "private" site).

Of course several of the images released only as .png /.gif these last 2 days where published earlier in magazines, demos or whatever.

This will most probably be (among) the last things I do for this scene, as for one reason I’m very soon of to participate the built mass, the body of architecture and I demand of you a bit of respect in the same manner I've treated your participation during these last 15-20 years.
2007-02-03 19:13
TDJ

Quote: I think you guys most get a grip together. Lets say all these releases would have been released over a 2-4 years time, you would probably not have complained one single bit.

Yeah, probably to perff or in some other forum when you realized that csdb has still some features to be improved...
but that would not have anything to do with Wrath Designs, Joe or Ed... So come on... ;)

And calling it spam? Are you comparing our stuff to WDR or someone else, TDJ?

I honestly have no clue what you're saying here. First of all: I never called it spam. But please try to make it clear why you feel that making a separate entry for all these graphics that are PART of a product is necessary ..
2007-02-03 19:14
Ed

Quoting TDJ

Come on dude, play it nice! Read your own forum name ok
2007-02-03 19:18
Ed

and TDJ in order to make it more understandable:

1) artists like JOL, Sarge or whatever has numerous releases. You are not complaining about those are you? So why pick out Joe, when there are other examples... Oh my .. it is FLTDB, or whatever.. yeah...

2) the search engine is abit hard to use at times, and some times you have to be very specific in order to find what you are looking for. I hardly think vandalism news will make this more difficult! ;D

3) please, ... now please... stop making such a big fuzz about all this ok? Enjoy it while you can. You cant do it at home!
2007-02-03 19:20
Burglar

Quote: Quoting TDJ

I was the one that came up with the topic "the ed and joe graphic spam bomb" so dont shoot tdj for it.

anyway, I call some of the things you guys added spam, as they are dupes of already present releases (eg the VN #37 intro gfx, font + all pics in VN 37).
it would've been a lot more elegant to just create one big collection under 1 csdb entry.

I also said you shouldnt get rid of the unreleased stuff.
2007-02-03 19:20
TDJ

Quote: Quoting TDJ

Dude, sober up .. I didn't start this thread.

And also to Joe: this has nothing to do with respect. I have the utmost respect for you guys, Wrath has been one of my fave groups for quite some time now. But I still don't see why that would mean that everything you ever did should get its own entry. I have several unreleased demo parts of Focus in my possession, should I also enter them here with just a screenshot? What about the logos Compyx made that were never used?

Maybe I'm wrong, but I haven't heard any good reasons from you guys yet.
2007-02-03 19:21
Ed

... and yeah.. all of the releases will be complemented with .prg and .d64 files also. This will make csdb grow even more...
2007-02-03 19:23
Ed

Ok Burglar. Did not see that one. Only saw TDJ starting all the fuzz before hand so.. ;D

And yeah.. Sobering up. So now we are finished discussing this right?
2007-02-03 19:25
Ed

Ok I quit the scene.. now c ya... sleep well.. (doing the richard thing on a sunday ;D)
2007-02-03 19:26
Joe

Actually it has all to do with "respect", I'm simply saying: I'm soon off from this scene, and here is my legacy, my heritage for the scene to participate, enjoy, feel inspired of etc. Now I told Incubus once, that I should be amongst the last to leave the scene. Well I guess, in retrospect it was a rather naive image. Now you may ever think what you do, so long I'm not even there. But then again, thanks for making my day!
2007-02-03 19:26
TDJ

Quote: Ok I quit the scene.. now c ya... sleep well.. (doing the richard thing on a sunday ;D)

No don't leave! Come back! I LOVE YOU!
2007-02-03 19:28
TDJ

Quote: Actually it has all to do with "respect", I'm simply saying: I'm soon off from this scene, and here is my legacy, my heritage for the scene to participate, enjoy, feel inspired of etc. Now I told Incubus once, that I should be amongst the last to leave the scene. Well I guess, in retrospect it was a rather naive image. Now you may ever think what you do, so long I'm not even there. But then again, thanks for making my day!

Hey, I will never delete that stuff from csdb, that's one thing that's for sure. But what I still don't get: most of the stuff is already in csdb right, only as part of another production. Why is that not enough for you?
2007-02-03 19:28
stash
Account closed

it´s a whining scene anyway :)
2007-02-03 19:29
Burglar

I should start making seperate entries for all scrolltexts I wrote in intros ;)

(pun intended!;)
2007-02-03 19:30
TDJ

Quote: I should start making seperate entries for all scrolltexts I wrote in intros ;)

(pun intended!;)

If I did something like that, not only csdb would explode but the rest of the Internet as well.
2007-02-03 19:35
Joe

You guys make me sick, now here's a reason alone just to fuck this scene over once and for all. You are so full of shit!
2007-02-03 19:36
Burglar

Quote: Actually it has all to do with "respect", I'm simply saying: I'm soon off from this scene, and here is my legacy, my heritage for the scene to participate, enjoy, feel inspired of etc. Now I told Incubus once, that I should be amongst the last to leave the scene. Well I guess, in retrospect it was a rather naive image. Now you may ever think what you do, so long I'm not even there. But then again, thanks for making my day!

I dont really see the respect in adding "vn #xx intro gfx" "vn #xx editorial 1" "vn #xx editorial 2", etc etc. I can only see a disrespect for the database...

now what I do respect is all the great gfx you made for so many different productions on the 64.

I take my hat off and bow to you, and will miss your productions (if you are indeed leaving the scene).

Burglar
2007-02-03 19:37
Ed

(and i returned on a richard friday!)

Seriously... I wish for you to stop your whining and get those 30 mb or gb of c64 warez ready for the scs-trc ftp instead. :) you can skip the dupes there...

I am not sure I ever heard the "dupe thing" apply to the legal scene. Heck just the other month or two I saw a release with a 100, 101, 102% being released. With some good reasons nontheless. ok so it was perhaps some "illegal" thing anyway and passed thanks to that, or? Did not hear any words about that. Please, prove me wrong.

Now you tell me how to handle all those turbo assembler releases, where only one single color is the R E A L difference? arguments or not.. how should we deal with this situation then? this SPAM situation... hard words for someone who just got more than 40 new releases... I dont hear those complaints when i see dousin of lousy cracks uploaded each and every day!

And what about fairlight, they released 600 releases.. or scs-trc??? my god ... (I am just giving you some examples here, not in any way intented to hurt peoples feelings but to give you a heterogeneous image).

If you feel the dupe thing is annoying. Then please suggest a list of things to be removed. I will soon start to add the .prg and .d64 files ;D You could save me hours and days of work here...

And besides. Please explain your act to everyone that actually thinks it is a good thing.

2007-02-03 19:39
Higgie

hi there!
1. i really like most of the stuff joe did over the years. so, joe, don't leave and continue provoking us with some post modern creations.
2. how about building a counterpart of HVSC for gfx? who want's to join? a database for all the chars, logos, fullscreens... that were ever done. including workstages whenever possible. that would be an appropriate way of preserving history in the field of c64 gfx art. (no joking here! what do you think about a HighPixelGrafixCollection aka 'HPGC'?) :)
2007-02-03 19:41
Ed

Higgie: now that sounds like a good idea. make csdb into seperate chapters:

crackers/illegal (never really wanted to take apart of that scene.. sure movies are nice and apps but... not participating in doing it myself)

demos

intros

graphics/logos/fonts

other stuff...

and yeah.. make .sid in a different category. according to some it is not a release here at csdb. oh my ;D
2007-02-03 19:46
Burglar

Quote:
If you feel the dupe thing is annoying. Then please suggest a list of things to be removed. I will soon start to add the .prg and .d64 files ;D You could save me hours and days of work here...

everything that was already released in for example a magazine. reread my previous post to find out ;)

the best way to solve all this is to create c64 gfx database, with all gfx ever put out. but csdb doesnt have that, and thats the root of the problem. no musician is adding all his tunes to csdb either, we have hvsc for that. we should have something like that for gfx aswell.

obviously I totally dig the "Collection *" stuff you released in the last 2 days, it should go without saying that those should stay and get a high vote aswell ;)
2007-02-03 19:47
Burglar

oh heh, higgie just said the same thing ;)

I wouldnt mind helping out in building a system for that
2007-02-03 19:50
Higgie

@burglar: just wanted to blame you for ripping my idea from my previous post! ;)
2007-02-03 19:53
Burglar

Quote: @burglar: just wanted to blame you for ripping my idea from my previous post! ;)

;)) actually, tmr came up with it on irc way before the both of us ;)
2007-02-03 19:54
T.M.R
Account closed

Did i? Shows you how much i listen to myself!
2007-02-03 20:00
Burglar

Quote: Did i? Shows you how much i listen to myself!

err no, you didnt, I mixed things up :/
2007-02-03 20:01
DeeKay

Okay, lemme raise another angle: Convenience!
While I don't actually think 200-300 releases break the CSDB or that we won't find anything - what about the people trying to enjoy this?
I'm working hard just clicking myself through this! It would be SO MUCH better if all of this would be released in one big gfx collie ("Joe's complete works" or sth!) to check out on the real machine! Who wants to download, compile and transfer 300 individual pictures?
And making such a collection would be less work than adding 300 entries to CSDB prolly! ;-)

Lemme just say that I think it was unfair to call this "spam", and that some people are really overreacting on this. They do have a point however, we definately do not need separate entries for fonts (!)...

And i gotta say i REALLY REALLY second that idea of a HGSC, like the HVSC or Zyron's Intro Collection! 8)
There are quite a few problems though: What about animated GFX? What about storing executables? Is that even possible? Some stuff just cannot be ripped out of a Demopart!...

As for Joe: Please, please, don't leave the scene! Seeing your GFX (among others!) back in 91 made me pick up making GFX! ;-)
While I have to say I'm not as fond of (most of) the industrial stuff as i was of your colorful piccies (I'm just a sucker for colorful, can't help it! 8) I do appreciate the experimental and artistic advancements you make with them. I certainly do most enjoy the industrial style in Demos, "A quoi ca cert" ranks pretty high in my book!
2007-02-03 20:08
Higgie

@burglar: ok! the points for the first release of the idea might go to T.M.R. but i will do the jewel version when i find time to. :)

it would be really cool if we could have such a database for gfx with links to the productions they were used in, links to the creators csdb profiles, screenshots and downloads of the picture in all possible formats. ... would be so great! :) but i have to admit, that i'm very low on sparetime these days. :(

is there anybody willing to join in such an effort? i guess it's too much for just a one man project. (maybe we should start a differnt forum thread then...)
2007-02-03 20:25
CreaMD

sorry, I'm not going to read this scene drama to the end because it started to get even more surrealistic than some of my own forum performances, just one thing addressed to Joe and Ed.

Quote:
... and yeah.. all of the releases will be complemented with .prg and .d64 files also. This will make csdb grow even more...

ADD the files and everything will be okay. Thank you.
2007-02-03 20:40
Steppe

Can I raise my hand in favour of Ed and Joe? I absolutely enjoy these graphical masterpieces, especially the dupes from VN, I almost forgot about them.
Ok, the fonts are a tad too much for me too. But CSDb won't explode because of these (how much are we talking about anyway?) 50 or 100 releases.
2007-02-03 20:45
jailbird

Quoting Higgie
how about building a counterpart of HVSC for gfx? who want's to join? a database for all the chars, logos, fullscreens... that were ever done. including workstages whenever possible. that would be an appropriate way of preserving history in the field of c64 gfx art. (no joking here! what do you think about a HighPixelGrafixCollection aka 'HPGC'?) :)
I'm on it since quite some time, collecting every kind of C64 graphics in an online database. Huge part of the web app is done. I'll let you know if it ever goes live (don't except it in the near future, though).
2007-02-03 21:05
Zyron

This is an "anti-comment", got tired of trying to explain anything at all cause it all seems so obvious to me.

I started reading cause I thought this was a concern of mine, but the tread is too long so I got bored & skipped the last 5-6 posts.

Anyway, I've in some comment stated something similar about Ed uplodaing lots of .sid files as entries here.
Let me start by pointing out that this is no try to step on anyone, both Joe & Ed are amazing artists & nice people..
BUT..
To me, the massadding of (sometimes) unreleased stuff seems pretty wrong.

Should this be the new "hit"?

"I hit CSDb last night, added 3 more unfinished demo parts that show examples of something unfinished. Oh, and the music can be found as .sid in HVSC. Only. But not anymore."

Should I add all the 400+ songs I composed as separate .sid entries?
No! I shouldn't.
Why should you?
2007-02-03 21:16
Ed

Zyron: sorry But I simply had to use your .sid example. I think it was a good example of the blind spot on csdb. To bad it had to be you that got to be my example, but...

What you shall or shall not do is not any concern of mine. You have made some good tunes, some bad. Hey taste is free, right?

To me it would probably be as hard to find among your stuff if you added the 400 releases, but then again 400 aint that much. But sure, it takes time... And perhaps time is also an issue here... We are talking about 20 years of production stuffed in collections. Hard to isolate. But obviously that is also the problem concerning this issue: hard to isolate the facts from fiction.

Now can I upload a dvd instead? What should I do? all the video releases have vanished from csdb. these were priceless documents due to the fact that there are no harddisk place for them. but come on. wd is a dvd at maximum. maybe some more if we add on some pc, amiga, stuff. So where should I store all this?

Would it worked if i kept the dupes inside the releases instead, like Mermaid did?

You want me to remove the dupes, sure. will do. will include the dupes in a more fancy way: Would like like to see it as comments instead perhaps?

Come one. When is this going to end? The releases are open and will stay that way. Go ahead. remove them. take the consequenses. Leave me with no choise around here. tell me how to vote and think and how I should react. Where is the fucking freedom man? Responsibility? Is that it? yeeez

Now. relax. I am not angry. Just had one of my drama queen moments :) let the show continue
2007-02-03 21:39
jailbird

Btw. personally I don't mind the release-attack too much, there are a lot of beautiful stuff there. But I must agree with Bulgrar, TDJ and Zyron in some points, it is already very hard to navigate trough the WD releases (did you actually realised what have you done? :D ), and search queries for some of the products lead to bloated result pages.

And I'm also afraid that a lot of Joe's amazing graphics will left unnoticed this way - I don't even know where to click or comment any more and only a day has passed since Ed started his upload session. That's not my problem all right but still, some of those pieces would definitely deserve much more attention.

Releasing the unreleased stuff slowly, day by day... Now that would make much more sense IMHO.
2007-02-03 21:49
Ed

Hehe. Jailbird I love you and please. please, dont take this as no sarcasm or anything allright, true words. but hey I am no gay so dont imagine too much ;D

If the releases would have been spread over 1 release each day, it would have taken around 150 days... That is much and time consuming. This way a couple of hours of hard work makes us to relax for the rest of time ;D

Who has for instance been the number one voter on csdb? Yeah, takes time but some hours of hard work will make people happy. I am generous in my votes and at times I am no pussy wanker but a honest man.

We have probably made something unique here, maybe not (WDR was close I know..) and I think we will sort this mess up in a day or two. when the drama queen thing is gone.

I wonder what would have happened if I never told you guys what Joe was up to, or if it was not possible to see the newly added releases (after all, all we did at most was releaese .png files.. there is nightmare still waiting! ;D)

2007-02-03 21:55
Zyron

My personal opinion:

"Add release" - that's what it says when you want to add a release. This is where to click when you want to add a _release_. If you click this you should add a release. If you click "add release" & don't add a release you're not doing what you clicked to do & should cancel.

It's really quite simple.
2007-02-03 22:00
jailbird

Quoting Ed
Who has for instance been the number one voter on csdb?
Hold on guys, I just realised what's going on here! Now that Ed grabbed the first place on the Top Voters chart, he got all excited and now wants to rule the Top Submitter chart and set WD to the #1 spot of the Top 10 productive groups chart as well: Ed wants to become the new master of the fun-stuff statistics!!!

;D
2007-02-03 22:02
bfl
Account closed

Please stop discussing.It is annoying.

Let us rip all games apart and make entries for everything included,gfx,sound and so on...

Dupes forever!oneoneone
2007-02-03 22:04
Ed

Jailbird: yes!!!! ;D

The green bubblegum again... (sorry not this time, but it gives you a slight rush to be a top voter, by only voting.. I dont remember any disc-magazine worth voting that much for.. but proove me wrong... Brutal Recall? Shock? hmmm )

2007-02-03 22:05
Ed

bfl: go ahead. This is going to be very interesting and yes. go on annoyed doing so also. :) puss and good night
2007-02-03 22:05
Joe

Zyron: You lost my confidence in everything, you didn't even try to read my lines, I'm lost and I'm most disapointed in even having the pleasure of meeting you.

Jailbird: No, we tried to prove that we actually cared and that we had an genuine interest in the scene, somewhat from the builders of this gigantic apparatus didn't seem to have part from spamming the spread with dust.
2007-02-03 22:08
Ed

Quote: Quoting Ed
Who has for instance been the number one voter on csdb?
Hold on guys, I just realised what's going on here! Now that Ed grabbed the first place on the Top Voters chart, he got all excited and now wants to rule the Top Submitter chart and set WD to the #1 spot of the Top 10 productive groups chart as well: Ed wants to become the new master of the fun-stuff statistics!!!

;D

Jailbird: i think you could share some conspiration theory to others ;D

and now:

PM button PM button PM button.. oh PM button?
monkey button monkey button monkey button

zyron if you feel like helping out give me a call ok, I am in the book... I gave you some .d64 today after all.
2007-02-03 22:12
Zyron

Fine Joe. You should have the right to your opinion & way of using CSDb but I'm not allowed to express my view without destroying everything that ever happened?

"I'm most disapointed in even having the pleasure of meeting you."

All because of a website? I totally misjudged you then.
2007-02-03 22:18
Ed

kappan efter vinden. nej du...

This is not about some webpage only zyron. This is about possibility. do i hear someone cry over a sample from rob hubbard? a video from x2006?

I am glad i never knew you

naah this is all about the lack of .prg or?

come on. wake up. the dupe thing will be fixed and the d64 will be added. perhaps perff will have some good idea and after that the end.. finito... sleep tight guys ;D
2007-02-03 22:21
Zyron

Ed, please don't confuse what I say with what I haven't said.
2007-02-03 22:22
Ed

Zyron, please don't confuse what I say with what I haven't said.

2007-02-03 22:32
Zyron

Ed: "I am glad i never knew you"

Joe: "I'm most disapointed in even having the pleasure of meeting you."

Thank you guys.
I never had anything against you twins, but those two statements feels like far over the edge.
I've discussed things out of a databse-poimt-of-view; what belongs here, what doesn't. Somehow you seem to have taken this personally turning it into a grudge.
Get to your senses & reconsider, think trice before making such comments.
It's me who's the disapointed person right now.
2007-02-03 22:35
Scout

Okay...but where is that viagra ad?
2007-02-03 23:05
Moloch

Woohoo!

/me grabs a front seat

Ding Ding! FIGHT!
2007-02-04 00:58
DeeKay

Jeez, guys, will you stop taking the Estrogens and quit the bitching?

Ed, Joe: Don't take everything 1000% personally and please don't overreact. Your reactions to Zyron's posting were way way over the top, having differences in opinion about what and what should not be included is no reason to attack someone on such a personal level... Even Wikipedians (that argue about the exact same thing!) can do this in a civilized manner!

I just finished watching all the stuff.. and my god, there are some true masterpieces in there! 8)

I'm missing the Miracle #8/9 GFX!... That was some amazing work!
2007-02-04 01:25
Burglar

back after drinking quite a load of beer with friends, so, uhm..

jailbaby, so the project is already being handled, nice ;) if you guys need help, pm me, wouldnt mind to assist.

ed/joe, come on guys, kiss and make up with zyron.

now I think you said you'd get rid of the dupes and add prgs/d64s to the real things. if thats correct, there is no issue anymore as far as I'm concerned...

and I'd be very happy with the amount of added previously unreleased quality material.

Burglar
2007-02-04 01:47
Ed

Hey Burglar, no offence or anything but who are you really? :)

I had a beer myself... Makes you more calm after all this weird mish mash of old jargong in the scene... Might see if I get the time to delete dupes... waiting for clearance from perff here... Deekay has some idea of releasing a pack instead. A lot of the comments will be collected and remodified. Now this turned out to be a larger work than just uploading .d64 and .prg files...

Mirage helped some with a couple of releases. Thanks mate! Deekay thanks for all your honest comments (same goes to other people). Jailbird, etc.

Thanks for the thread Burglar, and the free publicity guys. Macx. Love you!

20 years of the c64 scene and still going strong. And yeah.. a lot of hard words. someones bad i guess.
2007-02-04 04:56
Style

On a related topic, Chrome will now release everything one pixel/note/instruction at a time. Ill start with a black background and one white dot in the top lefthand corner, and move on from there.

Thankyou.

2007-02-04 04:59
fade
Account closed

2007-02-04 05:00
Style

sei
2007-02-04 07:14
Trazan

YES!

No

Random

Insert Coin

This post is just as stupid as the thread.

CORNFLAKES
2007-02-04 08:19
Radiant

This thread is a nice example of why people should refrain from posting in the forums while under the influence. It's also a nice example of why people should not feed trolls and attention seekers; nothing constructive comes out of it in the end.

Interpret freely and excessively.
2007-02-04 10:16
Oswald

now whats the conclusion ? Ive found some hints of a new project, but what are the details?

ps: I'm glad for being able not to post something rude yesterday :)
2007-02-04 10:20
Ed

Oswald, I think the conclusion is that I have not yet seen a thread started about the Warriors of Wasteland releases that Violator keeps on uploading today. ;D My now why is that?

I guess csdb cops wannabees will have a good answer to that.

Smile everyone. I am on a good mood today and I am uploading some .prg and .d64. Let me continue stay in that mood ok? It will only help the work get faster done. Oh, and a warm greeting to everyone that did not fight my ideas.
2007-02-04 10:53
TDJ

Quote: Oswald, I think the conclusion is that I have not yet seen a thread started about the Warriors of Wasteland releases that Violator keeps on uploading today. ;D My now why is that?

I guess csdb cops wannabees will have a good answer to that.

Smile everyone. I am on a good mood today and I am uploading some .prg and .d64. Let me continue stay in that mood ok? It will only help the work get faster done. Oh, and a warm greeting to everyone that did not fight my ideas.

Maybe it is because these are actual releases and not elements of one that are then, maybe, later promoted to releases?

Also, I agree with Zyron here: you guys are (ab)using the csdb system in a way not yet done before, all we (at least I) want to know is the reason why, and instead we get 6000 episodes of 'The Drama Twins'.

CSDB is a community in my eyes so that means that yes, other users have the right to question your actions. If you can't stand that then please, by all means, get the funk out of here.

Or you can try to explain your ideas instead of just assuming everybody will agree with them. I know it's a rotten thing to do but it may make things a lot easier in the long run.

And one good thing already came from this thread: a (bigger) awareness that there's the need for a separate graphics database, like hvsc is for music. So let's focus (pun intended) on that instead of the 'ouch! the scene does not love me!' theatrics, okay?
2007-02-04 11:04
Ed

TDJ I PM:ed you on it (yes it is really possible if you see the small star to the right of the handle! ;D)
2007-02-04 11:22
Burglar

Quote: Hey Burglar, no offence or anything but who are you really? :)

I had a beer myself... Makes you more calm after all this weird mish mash of old jargong in the scene... Might see if I get the time to delete dupes... waiting for clearance from perff here... Deekay has some idea of releasing a pack instead. A lot of the comments will be collected and remodified. Now this turned out to be a larger work than just uploading .d64 and .prg files...

Mirage helped some with a couple of releases. Thanks mate! Deekay thanks for all your honest comments (same goes to other people). Jailbird, etc.

Thanks for the thread Burglar, and the free publicity guys. Macx. Love you!

20 years of the c64 scene and still going strong. And yeah.. a lot of hard words. someones bad i guess.

Hey Ed, I'm just like everyone else on here, a nobody ;)

and well, its always good to have a jerry springer-like episode on csdb.

now let me get back to my hibernation ;)
2007-02-04 11:28
Oswald

1. as soon .prg's and .d64's will accompany all those gfx they will count as releases - no more arguments for zyron / tdj.

2. on the group page there should be an ability to sort releases by category (PERFF ARE YOU LISTENING ??? :) and please dont hide the sorting function in the right bar, it should be at the top of the releases in a drop down list.
2007-02-04 11:51
Mace

Oswald for president, on both counts.
2007-02-04 12:12
Scout

Finally a csdb drama on the 1337 level ;)
2007-02-04 12:53
QuasaR

Quote: 1. as soon .prg's and .d64's will accompany all those gfx they will count as releases - no more arguments for zyron / tdj.

2. on the group page there should be an ability to sort releases by category (PERFF ARE YOU LISTENING ??? :) and please dont hide the sorting function in the right bar, it should be at the top of the releases in a drop down list.

Your second point reminds me on something... Hmmm, maybe it was this...
2007-02-04 13:51
Rough
Account closed

puuuh, that thread went too long for someone with a hangover...

anyway:
@Jailbird: I had the idea of a graphics database as well years back, I'm just too occupied with Pirate's Portal already which in some view is a graphics database anyway.

One thing I would have added to such a 'HVGC' is the possibility to see graphics in different color palettes. Also I found a way to convert pictures into images which look like printed in magazines. Will explain that another day when I'm without headache. (urks)
2007-02-04 14:49
jailbird

Quote: puuuh, that thread went too long for someone with a hangover...

anyway:
@Jailbird: I had the idea of a graphics database as well years back, I'm just too occupied with Pirate's Portal already which in some view is a graphics database anyway.

One thing I would have added to such a 'HVGC' is the possibility to see graphics in different color palettes. Also I found a way to convert pictures into images which look like printed in magazines. Will explain that another day when I'm without headache. (urks)

Yeah, different kind of screenshots/palettes was in my mind too.
Someone mentioned connecting datas to CSDb (and/or Pouet), a feature that is also on my to-do list: relations to people, projects and events. Extra features could be added later on anyway.

Actually it's not a huge work, the application's skeleton (without any CSS formatting) is mostly done. I'm still hesitating if I should let it completely open or to close the database and have a few admins that would deal with the Db and moderate submissions (as far as I learnt from the actions of several idiots here, it should be at lest semi-closed to avoid intentional deletions or entering inappropriate data).

In case someone is interested in development/help, let me know (although the project goes on very slow at the moment since I'm sadly occupied with a lot of other things).

Help would be apprecaited from:

- people who'd like to do beta testing
- people who'd like to do administration/moderation later on when the site goes fully online
- people who do Ruby on Rails and would like to work on the code (this will be actual once an initial version goes up to a development server and I set up a bug tracking app)

In case you'd like to discuss this idea further, please open a new topic in the "pixelling" area of the CSDb forum. However, I'm afraid that the discussion is still a bit far ahead of it's necessity since I still don't have anything corporeal to come up with. Anyhow, I'll keep you up with the progress from time to time.
2007-02-04 23:44
blackdroid
Account closed

Quote: Yeah, different kind of screenshots/palettes was in my mind too.
Someone mentioned connecting datas to CSDb (and/or Pouet), a feature that is also on my to-do list: relations to people, projects and events. Extra features could be added later on anyway.

Actually it's not a huge work, the application's skeleton (without any CSS formatting) is mostly done. I'm still hesitating if I should let it completely open or to close the database and have a few admins that would deal with the Db and moderate submissions (as far as I learnt from the actions of several idiots here, it should be at lest semi-closed to avoid intentional deletions or entering inappropriate data).

In case someone is interested in development/help, let me know (although the project goes on very slow at the moment since I'm sadly occupied with a lot of other things).

Help would be apprecaited from:

- people who'd like to do beta testing
- people who'd like to do administration/moderation later on when the site goes fully online
- people who do Ruby on Rails and would like to work on the code (this will be actual once an initial version goes up to a development server and I set up a bug tracking app)

In case you'd like to discuss this idea further, please open a new topic in the "pixelling" area of the CSDb forum. However, I'm afraid that the discussion is still a bit far ahead of it's necessity since I still don't have anything corporeal to come up with. Anyhow, I'll keep you up with the progress from time to time.

I can do ruby ( eventhough im a pythonista ), subversion + trac should be enough for source control and bug tracking ( if you havent checked trac out do it, the best imho for 0$ out there )
2007-02-05 10:28
dalezy

would it still have been considered spam if ed would have spread doing all this over several days?

it would have been great to see all the graphics in a collection though. re-using stuff that way doesn't seem wrong at all. =)
2007-02-05 12:54
Dane
Account closed

Very nice of you to release a lot of previously unreleased stuff.

However, quite infantile to promote it with trolling in this thread.
2007-02-05 17:53
DRAX
Account closed

I really enjoy the stuff from Ed and Joe, please don't stop ;) ... Much of my work stuff has been released in HVSC... Maybe lame in a way, one the other hand I like it because of perservatory reasons... Besides some people might like the unfinished stuff... You can even find previous versions of finished tunes among them... If Ed and Joe are just a bit like me... I would feel quite hurt when someone comes with the above mentioned statements eventhough there could be some reason in it... I guess it's all about the perspective...
2007-02-05 18:06
TDJ

A few things to close this off. First of all Drax, if it was up to me all your tunes would be removed from hvsc. That ain't music! There isn't even somebody singing on it!! In my time etcetera etcetera .. ;)

Seriously though: Ed & me had a private discussion about this and I completely understand him now. I originally was under the impression that they just wanted to create entries without actual releases, knowing that the .d64/.prg files will actually be uploaded later makes a huge difference.

Now I still feel that the release date of those binary files should be set to 2007 and not the same as the production they were taken from but that's just my personal opinion ..
2007-02-05 18:18
DRAX
Account closed

Hehe, now I better kill myself ... again ;)
2007-02-05 22:06
Hein

I suppose CSDb is one of the few places to showcase this material, valued as c64 pieces. Kinda shows how unproductive others (like myself) have been past years. (Not you, Drax ;)
2007-02-06 01:40
chatGPZ

Quote:
Now I still feel that the release date of those binary files should be set to 2007 and not the same as the production they were taken from but that's just my personal opinion ..

i'd vote for that aswell, if the actual files in the entry were released now, the releasedate should reflect this.
2007-02-06 03:24
Jazzcat

I don't really care, as long as the release credits are accurate.
2007-02-06 05:27
Radiant

So it's possible to release files retroactively? Interesting implications.
2007-02-06 08:13
Mace

Retroactively... I like that word.
2007-02-06 08:22
TDJ

Quote: So it's possible to release files retroactively? Interesting implications.

And if that's the case I demand that it also should be possible to de-release files retroactively. There are a few demos in csdb I'd rather have forgotten .. ;)
2007-02-06 14:01
Oswald

btw, to go against my former opinion, lets imagine this situation with a coder's work. how about releasing all your demos as seperated faders, demoparts, effects ? :) in this glance ed&joe's move doesnt seem to be so good again.
2007-02-06 14:14
enthusi

since Im bored, here is my opinion:
maybe the problem is to find a rule for this.
This is an approach doomed to failure.
I.e. some VN-gfx are stunning some are just what they are: some menu-pic. Same goes for gfx in demo-arts. I.e. the Unicorn ;) Worth a stand-alon-release for sure. So it's a matter of taste/pride. If a scener feels the world should see/know/experience his work as separated part, well up to him/her. There's always the danger of blurring it all and thus decreasing the relative impact of truely stunning pieces.
It's up to ed and each and everyone if this has already happened here. It's a matter of morals. Most fonts are boring. If I worked for long on one and personally think of it as a masterpiece and its just part of some unknown intro - why not release it as font? I interpret all modern releases as "the author wants me to see this" - if it's overwhelmingly boring (to me) this has impact on my view on him and nothing more and nothing less. No harm done to the database or anything. In general I'd even say - the more the better (quite contrary to my usual believes but in peaceful harmony with this post).
Oh and keep it calm,
enthusi
RefreshSubscribe to this thread:

You need to be logged in to post in the forum.

Search the forum:
Search   for   in  
All times are CET.
Search CSDb
Advanced
Users Online
Smasher/F4CG
sebalozlepsi
Guests online: 89
Top Demos
1 Next Level  (9.8)
2 13:37  (9.7)