Log inRegister an accountBrowse CSDbHelp & documentationFacts & StatisticsThe forumsAvailable RSS-feeds on CSDbSupport CSDb Commodore 64 Scene Database
You are not logged in - nap
CSDb User Forums

Forums > CSDb Discussions > saving the screen
2008-02-23 11:13
assiduous
Account closed

saving the screen

hi

I seek some way to save the screen on a real C64. I need to save everything from the screen (or asmuch as possible). Im equipped with Action Replay7 and i have already tried to tamper with the freezer options but it seems that with freezing certain elements from the screen are lost like raster bars or other effects. i also tried using the backup option in AR7 which saves the executable of the frozen C64 state but that doesnt seem to save the necessary elements of the screen either (they are generated in the next frame after executing the snapshot and thats not what Im after).

thx for any help.
2008-02-23 12:16
JackAsser

It's impossible. Use a VCR connected to the c64 or something.
2008-02-23 12:18
AlexC

I think that the only option is to grab a screen with hardware - use your TV card for it for example.

AR and other freeze cartridges just save memory screen, color memory, sprite data and VIC registers states (not all!). As some effects are based on timings and raster you will not see it on screen from freezer. Similar problem will be with IFLI pictures for example. So the best option is to get a frame from video output, not from c64 CPU view.
2008-02-23 12:41
Mace

You might want to try a PC equiped with screengrabbing interface.
That way you can digitally grab the video output of a C64.

On a real C64, like said before, it's absolutely impossible.
It can't be done, no way, it doesn't work, it won't happen.
2008-02-23 13:16
Conrad

What everyone said. It's impossible to do something like this without using PC hardware and video capturing software.
The only other and inefficient way would be to take a photo of your TV close-up :)
2008-02-23 13:18
assiduous
Account closed

thx for enlightement. using a tv card is no option because it saves the TV output. my TV is an LCD with a resolution of 1366x768,the C64 screen is auto stretched vertically and horizontally (with the aspect ratio kept though). i would get a stretched and blurred screen shot and what i need it for is to precisely count the number of pixels. A PAL tv would be no better in this respect.

as a matter of fact i dont need the whole screen,in 1 instance its 2 raster lines ,in the others it's just 1. but i take your word for that its not very possible and will just give up for now :)
2008-02-24 03:28
ptoing

Emulator screengrab might work, no? I guess depends on the effect in some cases, but Vice is getting rather really good.
2008-02-24 06:22
Jon
Account closed

I imagine a screen shot of a stretched image at 1366x768 would appear rather blocky and it'd be easier to count the pixels.

J
2008-02-24 10:40
assiduous
Account closed

ptoing: VICE doesnt display the pixels i want to analyse atall. i'd grab a screen from Hoxs64 normally but the thing is that the (side-)effects i want to have a look at are not emulated correctly in any emulator (yet,some of them should be slotted in the next Hoxs64).

Ninjasbane: not really,an LCD TV performs some blurring to make a lower resolution video look better in the HD resolution,for example hires white dots every second pixel form a grey solid line !
2008-02-26 19:51
chancer

well apart from using an emulator , and perhaps snag it.. or save out as AVI without compression..

you can make/get a composite cable, and use the audio/video out on the back of the c64.. and get a usb capture device that supports composite / rgb input into ya pc.

there are a few things that do a cleaner freeze state MMC's expert cart software (AlexC I haven't forgotten..hehe)..

as you said , your doing it via HD tv? doesn't it have a vga input.. would be cleaner if you used the PC due to the refresh rate being higher in windows.

or can you adjust the tv / monitor to different modes?

I guess you could buy something to up the refresh rate so it's better suited for HD, but I'm suprised it's not backward compatible. I would go for the capture device into a pc though, you just wanna record something right?

2008-02-26 21:55
AlexC

Quote: well apart from using an emulator , and perhaps snag it.. or save out as AVI without compression..

you can make/get a composite cable, and use the audio/video out on the back of the c64.. and get a usb capture device that supports composite / rgb input into ya pc.

there are a few things that do a cleaner freeze state MMC's expert cart software (AlexC I haven't forgotten..hehe)..

as you said , your doing it via HD tv? doesn't it have a vga input.. would be cleaner if you used the PC due to the refresh rate being higher in windows.

or can you adjust the tv / monitor to different modes?

I guess you could buy something to up the refresh rate so it's better suited for HD, but I'm suprised it's not backward compatible. I would go for the capture device into a pc though, you just wanna record something right?

Thanks for remembering about me ;) Coming back to topic - I think this could be very good solution. If I understand it correctly the objective is to analyze some vic effect so actually recording few frames are better than just static screen shot.

... 15 posts hidden. Click here to view all posts....

Previous - 1 | 2 | 3 - Next
RefreshSubscribe to this thread:

You need to be logged in to post in the forum.

Search the forum:
Search   for   in  
All times are CET.
Search CSDb
Advanced
Users Online
goerp/F4CG
Sokrates
www.gb64.com
Guests online: 132
Top Demos
1 Next Level  (9.8)