Log inRegister an accountBrowse CSDbHelp & documentationFacts & StatisticsThe forumsAvailable RSS-feeds on CSDbSupport CSDb Commodore 64 Scene Database
You are not logged in - nap
CSDb User Forums

Forums > CSDb Discussions > Questions about the demo scene of today
2002-04-08 20:31
Richard

Questions about the demo scene of today

What do you think of the demo scene of today?

Here's my thoughts. Demos improved in the past and it is generally extremely difficult to come up with really cool effects. However, does this really matter? Demos are meant to be entertaining. Take Royal Arte, Deus Ex Machina and many other demos for example. I've been ever so impressed with the work put into the demos. They were entertaining.

As long as these demo groups are enjoying theirselves coding demos, or attending these scene parties, a massive thumbs up to them all :)

... 61 posts hidden. Click here to view all posts....

2002-04-12 21:58
CreaMD

Not many of us, web-enabled (or addicted) people are able to get back to swapping, but at least we found better ways to spread our works over the web (finally). Look, few months ago you even didn't have to place to talk about dying scene ;-)). Look, less than year ago you didn't have convenient and well visited place to post the news about your works. Look, few years ago we didn't have place to argue about releases and discuss them. We also know much more about parties organised all around the Europe and thanx to the fact that we are all (at least as far as age is concerned) grown up, and more-or-less financially independent, we can travel around the Europe, meet our fellow sceners, and simply live the scene life to it's fullest.

I don't care whether the scene is dying or not, what is important for me that it's finally starting to work much better than few years ago. We are communicating more than before. It's all starting to feel like movement again. I'm not optimist, but rather, well informed pesimist and I see that people are on the move. Not only "oldcomers" (ask CSDB maintainers how many celebritneys joined the forums in last few days ;-)). I'm sure that some newcomers (not necesarilly young guys ;-) are getting more and more involved. And hey as far as inactive people is concerned, we not only need active people, we also need those who are lurking around, watch our works, and live with us. Those who contributed to the scene before us and still feel attached to it and also those who never contributed but enjoy your work of art.

roman

PS: I have few unaswered packages at home rite now. I'll send back soon!! ;-) (and I mean it)
2002-04-15 07:59
bubis
Account closed

Quote: c64 scene dying ?? dont know.... but there is no newcommers on the c64 anymore.

Except me. :) My very first C64 production was "Voxel Shade" and it was #5 on the MS2002 4K intro compo. :)
2002-04-15 10:52
CreaMD

Quote: Except me. :) My very first C64 production was "Voxel Shade" and it was #5 on the MS2002 4K intro compo. :)

I'm sure, you are not alone. ;-)
2002-04-16 08:50
Commander
Account closed

Quote: c64 scene dying ?? dont know.... but there is no newcommers on the c64 anymore.

There are still some newcommers, be sure of that!!!
2002-04-16 10:28
TDJ

I for one hope these 'newcommers' bring a dictionary :)
2002-04-16 12:44
T.M.R
Account closed

Quote: I for one hope these 'newcommers' bring a dictionary :)

Aww c'mon, you're being a little harsh there... Terrible spelling and piss-poor grammar are the heart and soul of the scene, we'd be lost without them! =-)
2002-04-17 21:48
Matt

Quote: What do you think of the demo scene of today?

Here's my thoughts. Demos improved in the past and it is generally extremely difficult to come up with really cool effects. However, does this really matter? Demos are meant to be entertaining. Take Royal Arte, Deus Ex Machina and many other demos for example. I've been ever so impressed with the work put into the demos. They were entertaining.

As long as these demo groups are enjoying theirselves coding demos, or attending these scene parties, a massive thumbs up to them all :)

This question is being asked for more than ten years now.
Anyhow, the scene still isn't dead yet, and as far as I'm concerned, I'm pretty sure it'll last for atleast another decade.
Wanna know why?
Way back the coders had that immense pressure of making several demos a year. (Otherwhise they would have been called 'lazy' and all that stuff...) Nowadays people release their stuff whenever they want - there's no rush involved anymore. That's why things still get better every time! More time - more ideas - cooler demos.

Well, that's what I think!
2002-04-18 23:42
Black Belt Jones
Account closed

I totally agree!, theres more of a feeling of anticipation now for a killer demo to come out. Its about quality, not quantity, as long as we dont see like 1 demo every year!

Its a bit like a band, you dont want your fav group to pump out average albums... you want them to take their time and produce something wonderful.

Yeah Matt, i second that :)
2002-05-09 14:03
Bert/RDS

I disagree. There are newcomers (like me). The sad thing is that most of the "celebrities" and super-sceners of today don't seem to appreciate it, but keep ignoring them or making fun of them.
BERT
2002-05-09 16:21
CreaMD

Quote: I disagree. There are newcomers (like me). The sad thing is that most of the "celebrities" and super-sceners of today don't seem to appreciate it, but keep ignoring them or making fun of them.
BERT

It's not so simple to get a respect. Some people might look high-nosed, but do you know anyone who gained respect or fame just by claiming that he is here. Everyone who is highly respected in todays scene gained his fame after the years of hard work. And still, some people stay unrecognised for ages. Raiders is quite known to me. I remember your Dual-Head and I'm sure when you will release more things you will get more attention. I (we all ;-) look forward for your creations guys.

Roman
Previous - 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 - Next
RefreshSubscribe to this thread:

You need to be logged in to post in the forum.

Search the forum:
Search   for   in  
All times are CET.
Search CSDb
Advanced
Users Online
tlr
Didi/Laxity
Nordischsound/Hokuto..
E$G/hOKUtO fOrcE
kbs/Pht/Lxt
Guests online: 94