Log inRegister an accountBrowse CSDbHelp & documentationFacts & StatisticsThe forumsAvailable RSS-feeds on CSDbSupport CSDb Commodore 64 Scene Database
You are not logged in - nap
CSDb User Forums

Forums > C64 Pixeling > C64GFXDb
2023-12-19 09:23
Raistlin

C64GFXDb

I'd like to announce C64GFXDb (name is subject to change).

In the simplest terms, I plan for this to be something similar to HVSC but for graphics. Primarily, a ZIP file download of as much C64 scene and non-scene graphics as can be collected - but also backed up by a website presentation.

v0.05 download is here:
https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/rk8lhbt5lsaolfc836ql6/C64GFXDb-v..

And a WIP website is here: https://c64graphicsdb.netlify.app/

There's a lot to do to get it all into nice shape .. my todo list is quite long already.. for example:-

Collection (ZIP etc)
====================

- sort something out for sceners who used multiple handles .. these aren't handled well right now .. plus I seem to have a bug in my database code that pushes older names into "unsorted"...

- ensure that duplicates are removed

- favour a single palette for all, and a better compressed image format (eg. GIF) .. it's then easy to convert these to different palettes later

- ensure all images are a consistent size (multi-screeners can be different in size in the direction of scroll of course)

The Website
===========

- I don't have a main page as yet, just a nasty horrible, massive list of artist names ... this will of course improve at some point...

- for scrolling images I want to actually scroll them within their grid entry... so they'd be almost like animated GIFs (except animated GIFs are a bad idea, I've found, since they don't cleverly compress scroll animation (and so end up HUGE)

Questions
=========

For image dimensions I've been aiming for the same as CSDb - 384x272. This means we could lose pixels, though, as of course C64 screen can go up to 408px wide... any preferences here? I want most pictures to match so that I can setup the grid nicely without images being scaled oddly.

For such as interlace images my eventual plan was to use animated GIFs and to simply flip frames at 50fps (however many frames there are). Check out Leon's folder for a single example. Do you think this is better - or should interlace pics be given in a different form? Many of the screenshots on CSDb seem misleading to me...

Some images are animated .. where it makes sense I've added these as animated GIFs. Check out my own folder (the Turn Disk image) and Talent's folder for examples... do you think this is a good way to go?

Please, please let me know your thoughts, whether you like or hate it .. what can be done to make it better, more useful, etc etc.

Cheers!

... 64 posts hidden. Click here to view all posts....

2023-12-20 10:41
Oswald

Nice to see all images at once, instead of list if releases. just my 2 cents, clicking on an image I expect a fullscreen view, not a hop to csdb. that should be signalled to the user that he is leaving the site.

zooming the pictures on mousehover is a little too much imho, I'd just highlight the background or border around it slightly.
2023-12-20 10:58
Raistlin

Oswald, some good ideas there.

I already removed the (c) Raistlin just a few hours ago… that was really just to put “something” in my footer code - but I know it works so I just comment it out for now until I need it :-)
2023-12-20 12:12
Moloch

Quoting iAN CooG
I was wondering, "wasnt' there already another gfx only repo?" then I checked: what happened to https://c64pixels.com ?

Yeah, that was it, I knew something like this existed before
2023-12-20 12:15
Moloch

https://web.archive.org/web/20110719010723/http://c64pixels.com..
2023-12-20 12:19
spider-j

Quoting Raistlin
I already removed the (c) Raistlin just a few hours ago… that was really just to put “something” in my footer code - but I know it works so I just comment it out for now until I need it :-)

I don't know what you removed, but I was talking about this:

Maybe not a good idea in times where graphicians are already on their toes because of AI, wireing, giving proper credit etc... ;-)
2023-12-20 12:24
Shine

BTW:

Jailbird did something similar back then:

The Pixelling Cow - Beta
2023-12-20 13:21
Raistlin

Interesting. I hadn’t seen either of those.

I’m in two minds now whether this is worth pursuing…

A lot of what I’m trying to make is automated and designed to be relatively quick… or, it will be when finished…

Scraping should usually just be done on new entries on CSDb. I analyse screenshots from there, store their sizes in a CSV, “try” to automatically fix borders and sizes to be consistent. I had plans to unify the palette and switch to a better compressed format - eg. 4-bit GIF with LZW. And so on..

Hashtags for country, year, format, competition, etc… competitions will of course be included to show the results.

Lots can be done… but absolutely the big question is: will it survive? Maintaining something like this, even with all the automation above, will be difficult.
2023-12-20 13:22
Raistlin

Re: the copyright notice … I hadn’t pushed it to GitHub. Doing that now so it’ll be fixed later today :-)
2023-12-20 13:58
Oswald

copyright notice.. just add website by, etc.
2023-12-20 14:25
Shine

Quoting Raistlin
Lots can be done… but absolutely the big question is: will it survive? Maintaining something like this, even with all the automation above, will be difficult.

You never know if or how long it will survive.
I would really like this project though!
Previous - 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 - Next
RefreshSubscribe to this thread:

You need to be logged in to post in the forum.

Search the forum:
Search   for   in  
All times are CET.
Search CSDb
Advanced
Users Online
Didi/Laxity
LightSide
Alakran_64
Jucke
X-Raffi/X-Rated
Acidchild/Padua