Log inRegister an accountBrowse CSDbHelp & documentationFacts & StatisticsThe forumsAvailable RSS-feeds on CSDbSupport CSDb Commodore 64 Scene Database
You are not logged in - nap
CSDb User Forums

Forums > C64 Pixeling > C64GFXDb
2023-12-19 09:23
Raistlin

C64GFXDb

I'd like to announce C64GFXDb (name is subject to change).

In the simplest terms, I plan for this to be something similar to HVSC but for graphics. Primarily, a ZIP file download of as much C64 scene and non-scene graphics as can be collected - but also backed up by a website presentation.

v0.05 download is here:
https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/rk8lhbt5lsaolfc836ql6/C64GFXDb-v..

And a WIP website is here: https://c64graphicsdb.netlify.app/

There's a lot to do to get it all into nice shape .. my todo list is quite long already.. for example:-

Collection (ZIP etc)
====================

- sort something out for sceners who used multiple handles .. these aren't handled well right now .. plus I seem to have a bug in my database code that pushes older names into "unsorted"...

- ensure that duplicates are removed

- favour a single palette for all, and a better compressed image format (eg. GIF) .. it's then easy to convert these to different palettes later

- ensure all images are a consistent size (multi-screeners can be different in size in the direction of scroll of course)

The Website
===========

- I don't have a main page as yet, just a nasty horrible, massive list of artist names ... this will of course improve at some point...

- for scrolling images I want to actually scroll them within their grid entry... so they'd be almost like animated GIFs (except animated GIFs are a bad idea, I've found, since they don't cleverly compress scroll animation (and so end up HUGE)

Questions
=========

For image dimensions I've been aiming for the same as CSDb - 384x272. This means we could lose pixels, though, as of course C64 screen can go up to 408px wide... any preferences here? I want most pictures to match so that I can setup the grid nicely without images being scaled oddly.

For such as interlace images my eventual plan was to use animated GIFs and to simply flip frames at 50fps (however many frames there are). Check out Leon's folder for a single example. Do you think this is better - or should interlace pics be given in a different form? Many of the screenshots on CSDb seem misleading to me...

Some images are animated .. where it makes sense I've added these as animated GIFs. Check out my own folder (the Turn Disk image) and Talent's folder for examples... do you think this is a good way to go?

Please, please let me know your thoughts, whether you like or hate it .. what can be done to make it better, more useful, etc etc.

Cheers!

... 64 posts hidden. Click here to view all posts....

2023-12-19 10:01
Carrion

Are you going to put the wired pic to this database?
Do we need to provide workstages?
;)

On serious note:
This kind of database is hell of a work
you just mentioned interlace, but what about scrolled multiscreen images + many more issues... and most difficult thing who will keep it updated?

There was Artcity. There was c64pixels.com - not active
+ probably few more.

Right now a good reference could be the Toms Retro Gallery at:
https://tomseditor.com/gallery/browse&lang=en?lang=en&platform=..
2023-12-19 10:11
CreaMD

Quote: Good points!

I went with 384x272 at first because that’s the recommended and most often used size on CSDb. And I started the database with a scrape of CSDb screenshots - with the plan to fix these up over time…

I add borders where I can in my Windows tool (coded in C++) so I could extend that to 408x272. Everything coming from CSDb would need changing over time regardless (which means a LOT of image updates)….

CSDB started by scrapping my BOPC (best of party compos database/gallery) back in times (2001), so it's a kind of poetic justice that somebody is starting their project scrapping CSDB. This or that, as far as I remember* they started with finished usable beta release. Your is also usable (for me it's perfect simple interface for enjoying of gfx, I wouldn't make much changes ;-), but as you say, it's not finished. So, work your ass off and come back with something that might be called beta as soon as possible. ;-)

*well, I do. They used c64.sk to annouynce the launch of beta on 28. december 2001 ;-)

Quote:
The C-64 Scene Database (CSDb) is now open to public beta testing. Check it out at: http://noname.c64.org/csdb
Kilroy/No Name
2023-12-19 10:16
CreaMD

Quote: Are you going to put the wired pic to this database?
Do we need to provide workstages?
;)

On serious note:
This kind of database is hell of a work
you just mentioned interlace, but what about scrolled multiscreen images + many more issues... and most difficult thing who will keep it updated?

There was Artcity. There was c64pixels.com - not active
+ probably few more.

Carrion, I totally agree (and that's what I suggest in my first comment)

1. Daily update frequency is the key for keeping the audience returning. Hence the need for something like "sid happens" for quick upload of entries (that will be maybe sorted later) or some kind of sync with CSDB.

2. Building userbase, ideally through some kind of interaction, like having compo plattform would make it a solid service worth support.

Additional notes: Worse kind of interaction would be setting up it's own voting, I don't think that is necessary for a gallery. Filtering pics by compo results, or better said, brosing by years and compos and sorted by results would be of course totally awesome. Same goes for gfx type. And last but not least, tagging (content type, composition, whatever) that could be used for filtering. Actually tagging as general filtering mechanism seems (to me) as best approach for categorising the content in general. Everything can be tag in the end (year, compo, country, nickname, gfx type...)
2023-12-19 10:25
CreaMD

I have just realized that your goal is to produce the downloadable zip of all files. Well, I don't think it's needed, because it's just representation of the actual releases, not the C64 files itself as is with GB64 or HVSC, so .... But having a site I have described in previous comments for GFX, that would be a bliss. Same goes for SIDs btw, I should probably ask JCH make a compo subplattform at deepsid along the same ideas ;-)
2023-12-19 10:28
Acidchild

Quoting Carrion

unfortunately this one is also not active anymore, otherwise i would have added some more diskcovers :(
2023-12-19 10:57
Carrion

@Acidchild.
TBH I dont know if it's active or not. There are some latest pics in it so I assuem it's running. But I may be wrong. Anyway ot looks and work very well IMO.

@CreaMD
if it's going to be a zip file then... well there Assembly64 already. maybe just a small feature in Assembly will do the trick.
2023-12-19 11:22
Raistlin

Re: ZIP: my thinking was that this can continue without me if need be .. because we never know what will happen a few years from now. But, yeah, maybe not needed. I use Assembly64 now and don’t use HVSC’s ZIP/downloads directly.

Re: compos. Yeah, that will be a big part of this. Hosting the compo results in a nice format. But that’s also a great idea re: compo voting. Someone mentioned just today about Sprites Only entries… they get 10 votes during the compo and then people go back and revote relative to CSDb. Generally, CSDb votes really shouldn’t be taken for compo results at all… my site could possibly solve that issue for graphics, anyway. For now, it’s too “volatile” - every picture could change overnight while I play with the formats.
2023-12-19 17:06
Raistlin

Oh, re: Compo Voting.. maybe someone has an idea here.. but.. it would be good to be able to do that on the site and, in theory, it would be easy enough to do… but…

Scener/User Registration.

You hate down/up votes right now? Without proper scener validation, like CSDb has, you’ll see people using 10 email addresses to upvote their own shit.

Anyone got any ideas how to fix that? Other than asking CSDb to provide some sort of Google-like user authentication, I don’t see how that will work.

Plus, unless the site becomes ridiculously popular (like CSDb), people won’t bother registering.
2023-12-19 17:18
Shine

What a cool project!

I would add (later) some statistic & sort features like:
Top10 || graphics mode || date || etc.

But for now i would like to have a decent zoom mode.
I think the best would be a 2x zoom without any interpolation. This current "small" zoomer makes the picture a bit buggy imo.

Anyway, go ahead to surprise us! :)
2023-12-19 17:30
Raistlin

Ah yes.. if anyone knows their way around CSS well enough to get pixel-perfect sizes, I’d be very interested to know how that works.

I had code that supposedly should’ve worked.. but then it looks like the OS is used to scale things - and on a 4K monitor will scale by 1.5x for example. So even when I’m supposedly showing a 384x272px image at exactly that, it’s still showing onscreen as 576x408px.

Some help on that from someone would be awesome :-) .. ChatGPT was no help at all ;-)
Previous - 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 - Next
RefreshSubscribe to this thread:

You need to be logged in to post in the forum.

Search the forum:
Search   for   in  
All times are CET.
Search CSDb
Advanced
Users Online
Airwolf/F4CG
Scrap/Genesis Project
Jazzcat/Onslaught
Knut Clausen/SHAPE/F..
Elder0010/G★P
t0m3000/HF^BOOM!^IBX