Log inRegister an accountBrowse CSDbHelp & documentationFacts & StatisticsThe forumsAvailable RSS-feeds on CSDbSupport CSDb Commodore 64 Scene Database
You are not logged in - nap
CSDb User Forums

Forums > C64 Pixeling > Graphics on C64 demoscene: Guide of Ethics – a Proposal
2023-12-22 18:03
Sander

Graphics on C64 demoscene: Guide of Ethics – a Proposal

Dear fellow sceners,

This is an attempt to get more understanding among, and for, C64 demoscene pixel artists. It’s not written to limit anyone, but a prayer for more transparency.

Read the document here: ->Graphics on C64 demoscene: Guide of Ethics – a Proposal<-

We tried to give define and value different processes. Which is a result of discussion, where we saw mutual grounds and felt the need to write these down.
We will update the document periodically, when enough input has been gathered and sorted out.

We’d really love to hear your thoughts on the subjects in the document.
Please post them in this thread.

(Personally I will not always fully comply to these guidelines myself, but I will continue to be transparant about it. However, I do agree with the values communicated in this document.)
2023-12-22 18:40
iAN CooG

"scene" "ethics"?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_n5E7feJHw0
2023-12-22 19:06
Hein

While I agree with most of it, I didn't sign it, because I think everyone should decide for themselves what's right and what's wrong.

Besides, outside of this scene I just do my 'art', with and without references, mostly without workstages (I'm not recording my process or anything) and I'm perfectly happy working on it without any of these guidelines. Then again, I don't publish them, so it doesn't challenge anyone's personal ethics either.

I understand from a professional point of view, these guidelines are important (I've done game graphics in the past that obviously couldn't be copies of copyrighted work), but now I'm a c64 scene amateur fiddling around with pixels, so yeah, I can kinda do what I want here. :P

Anyway, the ones who signed it are the best artists in this (and Amiga) scene, so I think these are valuable considerations for artistic growth.
2023-12-22 19:13
LDX#40

Good idea, but I think it is a very long - well actually too long in my opinion - text. Maybe it could be condensed down to the essentials like: "credit all source material, mention use of AI" (yes, this is very minimalist).
2023-12-22 19:30
Jammer

I wholeheartedly support being ethical and transparent but I also support free and good will in expressing it. Best way is as usual setting an example yourself so more and more people will follow ;)
2023-12-22 22:14
CreaMD

Quote: Good idea, but I think it is a very long - well actually too long in my opinion - text. Maybe it could be condensed down to the essentials like: "credit all source material, mention use of AI" (yes, this is very minimalist).

Actually, it's not that long. It took me about 5 minutes to read with comprehension. while It took me hours to read the unfortunate "vangelis thread".
2023-12-22 23:24
Peacemaker

So it seems, you still did not understand that showing some workstages do not prof anything. Ah well.
2023-12-23 01:47
Nim

This is not ethics, ethics is about character and moral philosophy. The whole discussion that led up to this stunk of bad ethics. In fact, good ethics are best demonstrated without guidelines or some kind of regulation, all regulations do is gatekeep the ones who dont give fuck, and attract those who see ways to cheat the regulation.

Heres ethics for you... Dont lie, cheat, steal, defame, harm other people or their possessions and keep your promises.

In other words, honesty, integrity, respect for others, and honoring commitments.

In my humble opinion, much of the glue of the scene is based on the fact that the scene is largely a trust based community. Which is why drama, both painful to watch and entertaining at the same time, can be a healthy part of the scene, it airs grievances and bullshit gets called out - as long as it doesn't go too far that is πŸ˜‰

Rules are reserved for competitions of particular skill sets.

I'm sure more could be said and probably more thought out as well, but yea, this is pretty much my 2 cents worth...
2023-12-23 02:46
Fungus

Tools are tools, why is this is even a debate. I remember this in the late 90s when people starting using PC to convert, now it's accepted.

Everyone can tell when people hand pixel stuff, and when they don't, so it's just really weird to me anymore with the elitism and gatekeeping mentality.
2023-12-23 03:27
PAL

Embracing the Unpredictable Magic

Pixel art, the sheer joy it brings! Each square, a pixel, a piece of a magical puzzle. With limited colors come infinite possibilities, opening doors to a multi-level journey in art.

Yet, a demand for a solitary pilgrimage from idea to completion feels strange, especially when compared to the free-spirited ethos of demos. The demo scene thrives on real-time trickery, resisting the need for explanations. Pixel art isn't about conformity; it's about the unexpected thrill of creation in the moment.

Whether painting freely, using reference images, blending elements from our world, or incorporating AI-generated ideas, the canvas is limitless within its constraints. The Commodore 64 platform may not hold the assets found in the real world, and there's nothing wrong with importing video or stock footage to enhance creations.

Enter AI, not to steal the show but as a creative partner, suggesting and enhancing our artistic waltz. Will AI take over? No, it's a co-pilot, enhancing the human mind, where emotions are the strokes that color our canvas.

Pixel art's future isn't surrendering to AI; it could embrace it, working together as captains with AI as our copilot. However, automated pipelines that claim perfection raise suspicion. True art involves the unpredictability of creation, not a rigid, unchanged pixel through multiple stages.

Whether it's the Commodore 64 or anything else, art is about freedom. No suffocating rules.

For many old-timers, the epic moments were recreating something from famous art or images. Is that all gone now? Is it illegal? Talent, recreating Vangelis' portrait and more from reference images—is that a crime? The methods are unclear, but is it wrong?

No matter what one expresses, asserts, or shares openly within our community, there seems to be a tendency for someone to disapprove or dissent, leading to internal chaos for the individual who dared to speak. Let us foster an environment of openness and mutual acceptance. The escalating conflicts within our community are becoming overwhelming, and it's time for a more harmonious and understanding approach.

In the end, amidst the debates and complexities, let's not lose sight of why we embarked on this creative journey. Pixel art, demos, and the Commodore 64 are not just about perfection or conformity. They're about the sheer joy of creation, the thrill of pushing boundaries, and the magic that unfolds when passionate minds come together.

Let's revel in the freedom to express, explore, and compete—not as adversaries but as companions in this creative odyssey. In the pixelated realms and beyond, let's celebrate the camaraderie that arises from shared enthusiasm.

So, here's to late nights of coding, to spontaneous strokes of the pixel brush, to the sound of demos playing on repeat, and to the friendships that transcend pixels and screens. Let's venture beyond our comfort zones, compete in new arenas, and create memories that echo with the laughter of kindred spirits.

In the grand tapestry of the demo scene, may the threads of creativity, friendship, and adventure weave together seamlessly. Let's cherish the thrill of the journey, the beauty of imperfections, and the boundless joy of creating alongside the most fantastic, creative friends. Here's to having a blast—on and off the screen—because in the end, it's the shared moments of fun and creativity that make this journey truly extraordinary.

Very great document - I can not sign it, I do not want to sign it- I want a raw, freee andlimitless scene and everything goes... that is why this scene still blossoms, why try to kill it?

your PAL
2023-12-23 05:14
Nim

PAL, pixel and wordsmith both πŸ˜‰
2023-12-23 08:23
LMan

What PAL said, I wholeheartedly agree. Also what NiM said.

I agree with most points in the document and will likely adhere to most. I disagree with some.

It could serve as guidebook, however the tone is a bit oppressive for my taste, and the way it is conceived and signed feels quite elitist.

I fully support the proper crediting of sources, which should be mandatory, indeed. That is ethics.

I don't like however how this standard ruleset, under the guise of voluntary, kind of bullies other artists into workflows and methods deemed "the standard" by few. Because it conveniently matches their workflow. Know what I'm saying?
2023-12-23 08:30
LMan

Also workstages prove nothing, since they can be easily faked! That point is often overlooked.

I always love sharing workstages, and they are interesting to study and learn. But we can not create an atmosphere where artists feel forced to have people watch over their shoulders, figuratively speaking.
2023-12-23 09:17
Krill

"a Proposal" - proposal for what, specifically?

The document reads somewhat like this is aimed to end up as a set of rules in some kind of Code of Conduct people shall implicitly sign by attending "the scene".

I have yet to be convinced that Codes of Conduct do more good than harm. =)
2023-12-23 09:56
Fungus

The only rule is, there is no rules.

Also 300% agree with PAL.

The only reason I can see to present such things is that someone feels threatened, and that's a them problem.
2023-12-23 10:14
chatGPZ

To me it looks like some people are really afraid of something. Whatever it is.

What happened to the good old "don't be lame unless you want us to call you lame"? I'll sign that!

Pfff
2023-12-23 12:40
Burglar

I've been mostly staying out of the wired ai threads that have been plaguing csdb as of late. Not because I don't have an opinion, but because the personal attacks and pitchforkery displayed by many were appalling to me.
But now that a document has been produced (without the personal attacks) and a normal discussion can hopefully be had, I think it's time I share my thoughts as well.

In general I encourage artists to be honest about their creative process and share workstages if they want.

However, I will most definitely *not* sign any document:

1) I think this is trying to solve a non-existant problem. You are making it sound like all major graphics compo's are infested with dishonest wiring lowlives stealing all trophies away. I challenge you to pm me one example: top 3 of X, Zoo, Gubb, Transmission, etc from the last 10 years that was an unfair podium winner. (pm so there's no naming & shaming in public)

2) People can use whatever process and tools they want. Who am I to dictate a specific creative workflow. No more photoshop? No more sample fuckery and THCM-mod? No more cross-compilers? No more animations? Come on.

3) "pre-jury" sounds easy on paper, but impossible to properly pull off in a party setting with tight deadlines. Who will be that jury? 97% of people cannot distinguish "proper" pixel art from wirejobs.
What is the exact, repeatable bar that artists are no longer allowed to cross? It is all arbitrary and will lead to ppl getting unfairly disqualified. Who is going to take responsibility for falsly excluding people?

4) We can trust our fellow sceners to do the right thing, there has been no cheating in major compos in recent years.

Quote:
Proposal for party organisers

- Take care of your competition rules.
- Make workstages mandatory for all of your graphics competitions.
- It’s a good idea to use competent pre-jury to supervise your competition before going public.
- Try to share all the entry information with your audience during the party and in the post-party releases. However, share the workstages only if the artist gives you a permission.

- The X compo rules will not change: "Respect your fellow artists, please do not wire or use AI"
- Workstages will not be mandatory, there is no time and no knowledge on separating wired from non-wired. If people really want to cheat, they will fake the workstages too.
- There will be no "pre-jury" of elitist conformist supervisors. Let your votes speak instead. I liked Sander's voting-table in one of the threads.
- Artists are free to share information in the voting system for everyone to read when they vote, but it will not be mandated.

And what LMan, Nim and Pal said.
2023-12-23 12:47
Peacemaker

what Burglar LMan, Nim, Pal said.
2023-12-23 13:28
F7sus4

Quoting Burglar
1) I think this is trying to solve a non-existant problem. You are making it sound like all major graphics compo's are infested with dishonest wiring lowlives stealing all trophies away.

If that was the case, there would be nothing to debate, and no attempt in making "anti-cheat" measures would even be considered.

Quoting Burglar
4) We can trust our fellow sceners to do the right thing, there has been no cheating in major compos in recent years.

It's a non-falsifiable claim. We can't either prove or disprove it, unfortunately.

Quoting LMan
Also workstages prove nothing, since they can be easily faked! That point is often overlooked.

They can, but that would be an effort that would potentially make any technological shortcuts related to AI/conversion almost redundant (or at least burdensome enough), solely because of the amount of work required to manually adjust each stage to make it look trustworthy. The workstage requirement seems fair in my opinion, and taking a snapshot here and there on the way doesn't harm the process. It's quite established standard anyway.
2023-12-23 14:34
Peacemaker

Quote: Quoting Burglar
1) I think this is trying to solve a non-existant problem. You are making it sound like all major graphics compo's are infested with dishonest wiring lowlives stealing all trophies away.

If that was the case, there would be nothing to debate, and no attempt in making "anti-cheat" measures would even be considered.

Quoting Burglar

It's a non-falsifiable claim. We can't either prove or disprove it, unfortunately.

Quoting LMan

They can, but that would be an effort that would potentially make any technological shortcuts related to AI/conversion almost redundant (or at least burdensome enough), solely because of the amount of work required to manually adjust each stage to make it look trustworthy. The workstage requirement seems fair in my opinion, and taking a snapshot here and there on the way doesn't harm the process. It's quite established standard anyway.

You seem to have missed the wired gfx with a perfect workstage at the AI compo, or? and i doubt this faking has taken long. its a easy task to be honest.
2023-12-23 15:51
Monte Carlos

Quote: Embracing the Unpredictable Magic

Pixel art, the sheer joy it brings! Each square, a pixel, a piece of a magical puzzle. With limited colors come infinite possibilities, opening doors to a multi-level journey in art.

Yet, a demand for a solitary pilgrimage from idea to completion feels strange, especially when compared to the free-spirited ethos of demos. The demo scene thrives on real-time trickery, resisting the need for explanations. Pixel art isn't about conformity; it's about the unexpected thrill of creation in the moment.

Whether painting freely, using reference images, blending elements from our world, or incorporating AI-generated ideas, the canvas is limitless within its constraints. The Commodore 64 platform may not hold the assets found in the real world, and there's nothing wrong with importing video or stock footage to enhance creations.

Enter AI, not to steal the show but as a creative partner, suggesting and enhancing our artistic waltz. Will AI take over? No, it's a co-pilot, enhancing the human mind, where emotions are the strokes that color our canvas.

Pixel art's future isn't surrendering to AI; it could embrace it, working together as captains with AI as our copilot. However, automated pipelines that claim perfection raise suspicion. True art involves the unpredictability of creation, not a rigid, unchanged pixel through multiple stages.

Whether it's the Commodore 64 or anything else, art is about freedom. No suffocating rules.

For many old-timers, the epic moments were recreating something from famous art or images. Is that all gone now? Is it illegal? Talent, recreating Vangelis' portrait and more from reference images—is that a crime? The methods are unclear, but is it wrong?

No matter what one expresses, asserts, or shares openly within our community, there seems to be a tendency for someone to disapprove or dissent, leading to internal chaos for the individual who dared to speak. Let us foster an environment of openness and mutual acceptance. The escalating conflicts within our community are becoming overwhelming, and it's time for a more harmonious and understanding approach.

In the end, amidst the debates and complexities, let's not lose sight of why we embarked on this creative journey. Pixel art, demos, and the Commodore 64 are not just about perfection or conformity. They're about the sheer joy of creation, the thrill of pushing boundaries, and the magic that unfolds when passionate minds come together.

Let's revel in the freedom to express, explore, and compete—not as adversaries but as companions in this creative odyssey. In the pixelated realms and beyond, let's celebrate the camaraderie that arises from shared enthusiasm.

So, here's to late nights of coding, to spontaneous strokes of the pixel brush, to the sound of demos playing on repeat, and to the friendships that transcend pixels and screens. Let's venture beyond our comfort zones, compete in new arenas, and create memories that echo with the laughter of kindred spirits.

In the grand tapestry of the demo scene, may the threads of creativity, friendship, and adventure weave together seamlessly. Let's cherish the thrill of the journey, the beauty of imperfections, and the boundless joy of creating alongside the most fantastic, creative friends. Here's to having a blast—on and off the screen—because in the end, it's the shared moments of fun and creativity that make this journey truly extraordinary.

Very great document - I can not sign it, I do not want to sign it- I want a raw, freee andlimitless scene and everything goes... that is why this scene still blossoms, why try to kill it?

your PAL

Is this the longest post in this forum???
2023-12-23 16:02
Mixer

The gist of the proposal seems to be "how to prove that a production is an original work" now that we've got all these new toys. I may digress a bit, so please disregard all this if irrelevant to the subject.

I applaud the concept of transparency in everything, and that pretty much solves the issue in my opinion.

However, I have doubts with all of the ownership right aspects of the proposal, and the concept of originality. There are plenty of examples in many industries about how well ownership works and how it does not work after the product is published or sold.

Regarding AI: In programming, the AI assistants are a similar development step to what a compiler is to assembler programming. They make repeated tasks easier, and can act like a "smart function library", if you wish. Another form of AI are the various solvers and optimizers, they're different and often task specific.

Graphics format conversion tools traditionally have been in the solver/optimizer category, not in the generator category. Is hand pixeling a generating act, or a solving act or neither? I do not know.

At the moment generative AI models are trained with huge sets of data and the learning part is very expensive, and the users are not in control of that. Also, all input images or data must have some textual description of what is in the image, and there must be an attached language model. That is how the model can generate a house, when we ask for an image of a house. So, when we use an LLM, is the generated product the art or is it the prompt description the art or neither?

Compare for instance: I write assembler code to draw some sprites on screen and VIC does all the work. I write a GPU shader but the GPU does all the work. I set the prompt description and the LLM does all the work. Is there a difference?

I think the difference is that I as a programmer or musician am trained with a lot of what other people have done, but in case of the LLM, the LLM is trained with a lot of what other people have done. So, is writing a prompt more like instructing a programmer than being a programmer? is writing a prompt like instructing an artist instead of being an artist?

How to get over it? We can train our own models and in my opinion and that is when AI art will become "original" and "personalized". It'll be a tool like a brush, and we can train the models with our own drawings or music and it'll generate stuff within that context. Is this better? I do not know. It just will be. Some great artists had assistants that took care of the details after they set up the sketch and broad strokes. Perhaps the AI can be like assistant to an architect or a sculptor.
2023-12-23 16:46
Hein

Quoting Mixer

How to get over it? We can train our own models and in my opinion and that is when AI art will become "original" and "personalized". It'll be a tool like a brush, and we can train the models with our own drawings or music and it'll generate stuff within that context. Is this better? I do not know. It just will be. Some great artists had assistants that took care of the details after they set up the sketch and broad strokes. Perhaps the AI can be like assistant to an architect or a sculptor.

Luckily, AI engines are being fed with junkfood and other crap, because there's so much of that in this world. It's inevitably becoming what people want it to be, a crap engine.

Why would we want to have it generate our own personal niche style? Or why would we worry about a crap engine at all?
2023-12-23 16:59
Mixer

Quote: Quoting Mixer

Luckily, AI engines are being fed with junkfood and other crap, because there's so much of that in this world. It's inevitably becoming what people want it to be, a crap engine.

Why would we want to have it generate our own personal niche style? Or why would we worry about a crap engine at all?

Well, we do not have to, but it'll happen any way. LLM's are at a moment SISO systems like all computer expert systems. Shit In, Shit Out. Unless they've been shown what pre-Amiga 80's brutalism is as an art style, they can't do stuff like it.
2023-12-23 17:00
MaD ][

Quote: Good idea, but I think it is a very long - well actually too long in my opinion - text. Maybe it could be condensed down to the essentials like: "credit all source material, mention use of AI" (yes, this is very minimalist).

what LDX#40 said, couldn't strip to the bone better than this... PERIOD!
Also posts from PAL, Burglar, LMan and Nim suits me well 100%
Can't stand to those DRAMA anymore, our time should be spent doing better things... if someone has doubts about anything should feel free to express it, if the other party couldn't prove/motivate should be considered guilty, isn't it that difficult? "prove it, or it didn't happen", anyone recalls this simple rule?... BTW: giving proper credit or mentioning use of AI (or whatever can show up in the future) is the most ethical thing an artist must state very clearly.. by my side I do not have any complaint if a piece of code, gf or msx has been used as reference or ripped off entirely, just DO NOT CLAIM IS YOUR OWN ORIGINAL WORK... problem solved..
I simply won't sing this even if I agree with (almost) everything written on it... just use common sense anyway...
2023-12-23 17:06
Hein

Quoting Mixer
Well, we do not have to, but it'll happen any way. LLM's are at a moment SISO systems like all computer expert systems. Shit In, Shit Out. Unless they've been shown what pre-Amiga 80's brutalism is as an art style, they can't do stuff like it.

Right, it does seem just a few steps away from assimilating pixel art. Maybe the ones that signed the manifesto should act on that and start hiding their art to protect it from being translated into algorithms that we can use for graphics compos. ;)
2023-12-23 17:16
Ax!s

I'm coming out of my woods to give my opinion to 5 cc.

I agree with PAL.

For me, art has many forms. You can make photo collages, paper drawings or with drawing software, integrate elements and stage with software like gimp, photoshop, etc. All media and software are tools at our disposal.

When we talk about copyright it makes me smile given the number of cracks, tributes, etc. that there are on the site without real credit the real authors. Why double standards? Maybe I'll ask my kid to sign "Based on Bob Kane" when he draws Batman. Popular art has always been nourished by popular culture.

We talk about AI in graphics but it also applies to code and music. Why stigmatize only graphic designers? Because certainly music and code are less visual and more complicated to control.

Where we perhaps need common rules is for competitions with prizes but in all areas then (GFX, Music and code).
If it's a little competition for fun, I don't see the point.

Also in our time with the air of the rating with its stars (or commodore sign), this may also be part of the problem.

Conclusion: Letting people do their good and less good things is the wealth of our community. Anyway, I think you're adult enough to sort it out for yourself.

I'm going back to my woods...
2023-12-23 17:17
Carrion

What follows below is a post I wrote for Vanglis demo discussion but decided then to not post it.
Today IMO it fits here perfectly so let me share few of my thoughts. It looks like most of my thoughts copy Nim's, Pal's and mostly Burglar's opinion, but anyway. Here goes:

---

OK I read that shit through and through. Here are few of my thoughts:

I think my presentation at X (I promiss to mention it for last time) was very important to me. I hoped it is also important for the audience. I explaind how I do things and why I do it this way, so no-one can ever again call me a cheater (one guy at Transmission's presentation put words chetaing and Carrion in one sentence and it hurts me till this day and it felt bad!)

But the main goal of my presentation at X was a messege and question to pixel art community. Is it ok we share workstages, source files, references, etc etc. And you know what? Nobody actually responded to it. Nobody cared. And.... after the months of thinking, I think it's fine. Who am I to force anyone to confess his techniques, references, workstages. And I understood that it's not really my business and people actually dont care about it either. The MOST important part is, and I repeat that every time, to have fun doing it and joy of sharing your works with C64 friends. That's it! Maybe the people who convert or wire have fun with it? Who am I to take this fun from them? Do you feel being like a this kind of moderator of what schould be done on demoscene or posted on CSDB or what should be created on C64?
C64 demoscene is not a school of art and we are not professional artists like you. (edit: it was directed to one person) We Have a HOBBY here! And ofcoz you gonna respond that all you demand is workstages for this paticular case. But with thread like this (edit: Vangelis) the only thing you achieve is a witchhunt and looking for drama.

I know good C64 art wnen I see it. And I can appreciate it when I see it. I appreciate Talent's talent a lot. His skills are not from this earth. I love Mirage and Mermaid, Joe, I like Duce, Veto, Sulevi, and many, many others. I dont have to like all of the C64 gfx posted here. I simply dont vote and dont comment - it's that simple. I used to call them lamers but again, who am I to judge? Who are you to judge? I have my opinions about why you started this crusade but it will be too rude to write it here in public. (edit: I think Fungus summed it nicely)

[...]

For me the dicsusion is over. I feel devasted after all I read here. I also feel frustrated bacause I don't know what will happen next. (edit: now I know as this thread hapened) Please don't take fun and joy from us !
There's place for any kind of demoscene activity either wired ninja or another hand pixeled cat. Let people enjoy and judge, or... or close CSDB and keep it only for real art elite!

----

That was my post one week ago. It more or less tells what I want to say here today. I would not sign anything like this document you proposed. My joy of pixeling at this moment flies away, after last threads here. Hop it will come back soon.
2023-12-23 18:18
4gentE

If you use references, or even if you make a 1:1 copy, go ahead! Just, please credit the original. Can we all agree on that?
2023-12-23 18:25
Hein

Quote: If you use references, or even if you make a 1:1 copy, go ahead! Just, please credit the original. Can we all agree on that?

The ones who signed it can, obviously. :)
2023-12-23 18:42
The Sarge

Thank you all for spending time giving your thoughts on this matter. Keep them coming! We who signed the document would however like to say a couple of things so it doesn't get misunderstood.

This is not about hindering anyone. Use whatever tool you like. But be transparent about it. If you used AI or pixeled over someone else art or converted it, state it alongside with the image or demo.

This is only about transparency and fairness to your fellow scener. We try to find the middle ground for the future.

Yes this is a hobby. For most of us it will keep being a hobby forever. But it's growing and we are actually reaching outside our usual way of showing our stuff. So therefore we should talk about the copyright since it's the law. Not much we can do about that. And it's also fair since we then again respect other peoples work.

This document is a draft and proposal. And if we have made some errors we will correct them accordingly.
2023-12-23 19:10
F7sus4

Quote:
You seem to have missed the wired gfx with a perfect workstage at the AI compo, or?

The point is how both of these topics are intertwined. It's possible to lead endless disputes where lies the line between utilizing certain automation tools during the act of creation, and where/when does the tool start to de facto substitute the author. I'm up for all the freedom. However, the AI brings up pretty important argument here - not regarding the conversion technique per se, but about the agency during the process. Can a person claim work as their own solely because they've ordered it as described or copied it? Whether "C64 is just a hobby" or not, it would still be inherently valuable in respect to art and to each other to be truthful about one's work and to credit it properly - pretty much like it's done when borrowing a few lines of code. ;-) Which leads to this:

Quote:
Maybe it could be condensed down to the essentials like: "credit all source material, mention use of AI" (yes, this is very minimalist).

Quote:
This is only about transparency and fairness to your fellow scener. We try to find the middle ground for the future.
2023-12-23 19:12
Hein

Looking forward to what this will bring. I do fear that creating a brotherhood of pixel artists with certain ethics won't help bring this scene together.

It is however starting to become quite a supergroup of artists. I'm sure at some point coders and musicians will sign up as well.
2023-12-23 19:20
Jammer

Quoting Hein
I'm sure at some point coders and musicians will sign up as well.

Should I sign a paper that I don't use unlicensed digis for singlespeed tunes? :D
2023-12-23 19:34
Hein

Quoting Jammer
Quoting Hein
I'm sure at some point coders and musicians will sign up as well.

Should I sign a paper that I don't use unlicensed digis for singlespeed tunes? :D

You can use them illegally without signing, I suppose. But that's not up to me. ;)
2023-12-23 21:37
Pararaum

My working style might be a bit unique and I know that I am a nearly unknown (pixel) artist in the scene, C64 or other. I try to combine two of my passions: retro computing and oil painting, therefore I tend to do sketches in oil, digitise one, and start working from there. For those of you who are so very fond of "proof" look at https://demozoo.org/graphics/325217/ and ask sensenstahl, he got one of the sketches. This work style would be in violation of the proposal...

In my opinion such "guide of ethics", "code of conducts", find any fancy name for them, serve only one purpose in the end even if they are made in the best intent: to get rid of somebody unwelcome quickly and without the possibility of appeal. Somebody says something you do not like? Just look through her/his work, you will find something, some minor misconduct and can evict the person. And the best thing is that you now have a fantastic reason, the person broke his/her own commitment to the "guide", "code", etc.

Should it ever come to this that signing such a document is mandatory then I would leave the scene and do more oil paints.

If there are competitions which exclude wired graphics or AI generated content people should, of course, stick to it. AI content should be mentioned. Vote fairly. And so on. Just behave like a decent person. I do.

And what Burglar LMan, Nim, Pal, Peacemaker, et al. said...
2023-12-23 22:14
4gentE

@Pararaum:
If you look at the second table in the document, it reads to me like you and your method fall straight under that second category that says: “original pixel art - nothing needs to be proven, and your process may be kept a secret.” So I wonder how did you come to conclusion that: “This work style would be in violation of the proposal.”? Not only is your method valid, but you also voluntarily provide description of your process which is a welcome added value.
2023-12-24 00:47
QuasaR

For me the scene is all about the C64 and it's limitations. I'm a poor little coder and in most cases the only rule (for code) is, it has to run on a vanilla C64 with 1541. How do I get there coding wise (using a monitor, assembler (native, REU expanded or cross); using the latest crunchers to shrink it under 4k, etc.) doesn't count as long as somebody else enjoyes watching it, at least myself while doing it.
So I don't get, why there should be rules about painting. Is it more "art" when done the oldschool way, joystick and 1084 and hours of hours of clicking pixel by pixel? In the end, sometimes, i couldn't care less how a picture was painted. In most cases, someone claims his/her own work and it wasn't so, somebody will post the original. So, he/she is a liar. But a bad artist? Or is reffering to other art "bad art"?
I think we all stand on the shoulders of giants and art is always about connecting or deliminating from things done before.
And ofcourse what PAL, LMan and NIM said...
Just my two cents.
2023-12-24 03:15
PAL

Back in the day, on the Commodore 64 scene, where nobody gave a darn about copyrights or legal hoops, we had this rad thing going on. It's like this secret club where crackers, coders, music composers, and pixel artists just do their thing, outside the rules of the real world. Even UNESCO noticed lately, thinking pixels, sid music and real-time code deserve a spot in the history books, or maybe a time capsule.

Let's dial it back a bit. Started with cracking software and tiny intros, then boom, the demo scene happened. Ideas were born, visuals were visualized, and audio was thrown in for good measure. It's all about nabbing ideas and going wild on the screen and in the speakers, today JBL boom box ;-) . Think pixels, audio, visuals—all whipped up by some code sorcery from totally insane folks. To snag an idea is all magical, the scene is the place where you can do just that and create something, like Censor Design's Tribute to Vangelis, a genius move done out of pure love. No ego boost, just a tribute to a legend - that most of us in the scene hold love to.

Our heroes in this scene are like rockstars. They got, and stil get appreciation. Inspired by everything—mainstream, old stuff, current events, or just their wild thoughts. The demo scene isn't about being total original; it's about grabbing ideas and making them into your own unique creation. It's the real deal, and there's no other place like the real scene in the whole world. That's why UNESCO in some spots called it a world heritage thing—it's the spirit of just creating.

Forget about life's bills, responsibilities, who needs that? The demo scene is about hanging with a bunch of crazy talented best-in-life friends. Zillion hours on ideas, pixels, code and music? As long as you create something awesome running live on old hardware and hear the cheers of a few hundred nerdy people who totally get your digital and non-work-related super insane madness.

Imagine sitting at Revision, signing books you're featured in, feeling like a demoscene celeb. For a moment, you were a rockstar! You felt like one, and at that very time, you were one—a rockstar for a day. I felt this and it was so joyful. Sure, I've worked on big projects, from airports to web browsers used by 85 million users per day (Opera web browser, designed with Trond), but nothing beats that day when me and Tom Zaphod hit the spacebar at the X party in 2010. Well, almost nothing. My daughter is pretty cool too. But when I and Tom sat there pressing the space bar between parts, that we all had created, all of us in offence and I did all them gfx and was so proud, people cheering after 20 years of hibernation, that was one of the best and single most epic times of my life.

In the demo scene, you can do whatever you want, just don't get caught. Never claim you made something if you just stole it —that's the golden rule. Never enter a gfx compo with something like that. Don't pretend you did everything solo when you've tweaked it with Photoshop, assets, or images, or whatever doing a collage, in a demo that's all okay. But don't do it in a gfx compo, never ever create fake workstages where pixels never change through the time of pixeling it whole new. Sure, having your own pipeline is cool, but claiming you did every pixel alone? That's a bit like claiming you've cracked time travel—sounds cool, but we're not buying it. When I did the never-ending story part together with coder Lars, the idea was to create the longest-ever scrolling streaming image with effects on the C64, a blend of painting and images, I am an advertising dude, a pro at it, but man, my bleeding finger was proof of what went down. It's still a marvel in the scene world—a whole disk side of streaming koalas with effects - very underrated effort it is by the scene. Could've had more effects, but it is what it is—time and all.

In the wild world of Commodore 64, where pixels, SID music, and insanity code party hard, it's all about collaborative chaos. It's a place where you can be gloriously insane, break all the rules, and create free art with a bunch of talented lunatics and all kinds of really strange people. It's a demoscene utopia where the only inquisition is asking, "Did you have fun?" And the answer is a loud, pixelated "Hell yeah!"

Let us have fun !
2023-12-24 04:17
PAL

The flow, to be in flow is a great thing for the scene
2023-12-24 09:02
Fungus

Should I document my entire toolset and build chain?

As a musician, I steal shamelessly, but I'm old school and that's accepted because that's progress. You build upon others work, or are inspired by it. I see no difference, you are meat based computer yourselves. I don't cite my influences on every note I play. I don't divulge my gear chain, if it's real amps and pedals or ai based profiled patches in a kemper or axefx or plugin. This whole argument doesn't make any sense to me.
2023-12-24 14:17
LMan

Even more wisdom from our PAL.
2023-12-24 14:44
Electric

Sorry for the silence. Managed to get hold of half an hour before Santa arrives.

So, my gathered comments below, fastly written but to the points I see relevant. Thanks for everyone commenting.

First of all: please read the document throughoutly. How I see the commenting many seem to react it with lots of emotion. It’s a difficult task to define something like ‘ethics’. Any feedback is appreciated.

@Hein: The issue with transparent references popped up few times with different views on it. We decided to suggest those to be presented as visuals OR as written description. Someone pointed out that for some art it’s a statement too not to show the references and in case of ‘art’ that’s of course OK too. This is anyhow, a proposal.

LDX#40: Yes, lots of talk it’s too long and might get better approval if shortened. However, it’s sorta repetiteve too with the intro and first table telling it all already and the latter part telling it again with a bit more details. I think this length is relatively short already – this could easily mushroom into a gigant no one reads, if going into very details of pixeling, what is art and all that. Anyway, I think we should try to shorten the text still.

@Nim: Very much agree with your list of ethics – I think the proposal done is about the same thing, just written bit differently.

@Fungus: Not sure if you read it throughoutly with thought but gatekeeping was something we did NOT want to propose. It’d help us out if you can point out the spots that you read as gatekeeping.

@Pal: I think the current draft is not about ‘rules’, only when it comes to actual competitions which already have even stricter rules. As the title says, it’s a proposal from graphic bunker and shall remain as that. If the scene decides to respect whatever over originality and creativity, that’s it. We’ve told how we feel and if it’s not worth of anything then all settled. The purpose is not to limit anyone nor kill the scene but the opposite. I think the gfx scene is already pretty dead in 2023 with several people talking about quitting due the AI and AI’s ‘organic proposal’ to convert.

@LMan: We’d definitely like to work with ‘the tone’ of the document. Already did, but since we’re mostly old farts it may often sound like Moses talking. If you can point these spots out, we’d appreciate. What we’re aware as well is that the doc most likely does NOT cover all the modern workflows and may confront with something we did not notice. Would like to hear more about this, here or in PM. What comes to workstages – there’s job to do at least with parties who have mostly done lazy job checking if the works are within rules. However, workstages DO mean a lot. They’re not only for paranoids to see if something was done by hand or not but a key to learn for many. They tell about the workflow and all in-between. I can personally say I enjoy seeing the workstages and timelapses – mostly due the ways of doing are often so different from my own. It is of course always possible to cheat even the stages and in future that’s prolly much easier. However, I can’t really believe many would do that as it’d set a new standard for the word ‘lamer’.

@Krill: Proposal for working ethic way. It’s not meant to be set of rules but a proposal for how to work with graphics, written by bunch of pixel pushers who’ve mostly done it relatively long time.

@Groepaz: You’re right: this doc wouldn’t be here without the past events, latest being the AI Ninja and Vangelis discussions. There’s certainly fear of that demoscene graphics will turn into ‘just decoration’ while it has not been that from the perspective of many graphic artists. I personally haven’t ever heard so many old sceners speaking about quitting as the fun (that many hear cry for) is sorta vanishing, at least for traditional pixelers. So, this doc can be also seen as a statement that you can take or leave. Quite many have left already but seems like more will go if things do not change at all. And yup: in the end lamer is a lamer. He / she can’t help it.

@Burglar: The document does not limit anyone in the ways they do work. It’s just proposing for transparency. We’ll update it for sure basing on the feedback received – especially with feedback from people making graphics for C64 demoscene. I guess the part that’s talking to party orgs is merely due the recent debates and flood with AI and conversions – there has been a lot of faked workstages etc in some big demo party comps. The document proposes just to pay more attention to the rules (which of course can be anything from no rules to something more strict) and see how they are executed in the gfx submitted. We’ll see what happens in the future. There are examples in our sandbox history where wiring for example took over leading to some original artists to disappear from the scene.

@Mixer: The concept of originality for sure is a difficult task – everything we do is mash-up of things we experienced and filtered until our memory calls them ‘our own’. We’d want to keep the guidelines relatively short while some say it’s too long already. Many have stated here this all in one sentence. From our point of view we’d like to define it all just a bit more so that people with different experience on pixel graphics can understand it – and in case they agree, also base their judging of graphics on something bit more solid. Note also that the doc deals with graphics, their originality. I think this discussion should be done seperately on music and code. With AI getting everywhere you’ll prolly start to talk about this just a bit later. In whole art / graphics scene AI has been already for a long time and people lose their jobs due it in rl. This same discussion concerning AI has been going on in all the work relating image from fine arts to commercial illustration, from game development to pixel graphics.

@Carrion: Your outcome with the presentation at X was exactly the transparency I’d like to see more. I might not have personally commented it but privately told to many about it and said it’s a *must* watch.

@Jammer: I suppose (as noted to Mixer) this talk will eventually reach SID composing as well, if not already. However, what the doc is about is gfx.

@Pararaum: There might be a missunderstanding here but how I read the doc it does not really say ‘you can’t do that’. That was the intention at least. Please point out what might be silly and we’ll work on that.

In general I’d just propose to really read the document through with thought. Many comments see it as a set of ‘rules’ that it is not. It’s not either telling what to do or with what tools. As I read it I see no limitations, just a proposal to transparency.

Note too that indeed the whole thrill about C64 is in it’s rules: standard machine, memory, tied colour palette +++. I think this is one of the main things why the scene has blossomed until now. I have zero interest with PC demos for example due the fact that I don’t see any challenge there. People write here lot about ‘no rules’ which ain’t true either – there has always been lots of unwritten rules in the demoscene too.

How I see it atm is that most of the comments here come from non-gfxers and most coders do not seem to care much about what we stated throug the document. All comments are welcome of course but to make the guidelines better we’d prolly need more commenting from people doing pixels – especially from people with really diverse workflows.
2023-12-24 16:27
MuZZa

Quote: "scene" "ethics"?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_n5E7feJHw0

XD XD XD hahahahahahahah exactly!! uffff xD

https://youtu.be/mBw3qzf4s18?si=ieSH3FDaNRvXtoZ0
2023-12-24 16:47
chatGPZ

Quote:
3) "pre-jury" sounds easy on paper, but impossible to properly pull off in a party setting with tight deadlines. Who will be that jury? 97% of people cannot distinguish "proper" pixel art from wirejobs.

I have to oppose the "impossible to properly pull off" - eg this is common business on the easter parties, for decades, in the music compos. In that case simply because there are way too many entries to be able to show all of them. A similar preselection could surely be implemented for GFX too. And regarding the easter parties, i know for sure that GFX entries are checked for conversions IF they look suspicious (i have disqualified one myself at some breakpoint...). It IS doable. But it is work someone needs to do (on the easter parties the preselect juries are ad hoc recruited from the visitors, similar to how it worked at X years ago).
2023-12-24 18:18
CopAss

I always experience it as a huge disappointment when a graphic designer I respect as a "god" turns out to be a fraud...
(conversion, copying someone else's work, A.I., "machine" dithering, etc.)
this does not require talent, only mastering the use of tools.
not his art, not his style, not his knowledge...
2023-12-24 21:52
LMan

@Electric pm sent
2023-12-24 23:18
Ervin

Purely on the theoretical and fun side, I wonder how similar guidelines could be utilized on coding? How intelligent should a tool be to deserve mentioning?
2023-12-24 23:31
Oswald

2023-12-25 06:43
Hein

Quoting Ervin
Purely on the theoretical and fun side, I wonder how similar guidelines could be utilized on coding? How intelligent should a tool be to deserve mentioning?

I suppose only one bulletpoint is needed:
Sharing the repository (with all its commits) is appreciated.
2023-12-25 07:38
NoiseEHC

Quote: Quoting Ervin

I suppose only one bulletpoint is needed:
Sharing the repository (with all its commits) is appreciated.

LOL, as Graphicians and Social Justice Warriors imagine that one day AI will write world records... Fantastic!!!

See, I understand that you like creating graphics in the most unproductive way possible, and I also understand that in graphics compos you might like to level the playing field by denying any advanced tool usage.

But please do not try to tell me what tool I can or cannot use creating a demo. And I will share my source code if and only if I want it to do.

Fortunately none of you have any authority over the scene so it might be wise to stop running amok with this "proposal". If you organize events then and only then it is in your right to enforce any and all restrictions you may seem fit.
2023-12-25 07:46
Hein

Yay, if you've read the opinions better, you'd know I oppose to making it mandatory. Hence the words 'is appreciated', which implies a voluntary sharing of sources.
2023-12-25 10:40
Scrap

Quote:

Oswald: please provide workstages for this piece of art… ;-)
2023-12-25 14:51
Deev

Quote:

It's interesting to observe that, whilst graphcians may not all completely agree, they can usually appreciate why these things are an issue for some.

It's equally interesting to observe how, in the case of many coders, they seem completely unable to grasp the most basic points of the discussion.
2023-12-25 16:36
Nim

Here's why this topic is sensitive, and ultimately why this document is a bad idea

The topic is really not about whether its ethical to provide work stages, or whether it's ethical to post references.

The crux of the matter is that theres (at the very least a perceived) push to change the baseline of what it means to create art, or rather, what is the least acceptable level.

To most its obvious that the base level is, and should remain, you made a picture, you release it, full stop.

The discussion as i see it isn't, like i said, is it good ethics to give credits ti influnces or references or a description of your process, which is sumple, yea its clearly ethical to do that.

The discussion, and the document, is clearly a push to make releases who do not provide any additional data to be considered sus, or to justify judging this on the basis of what basically amounts to 'suspicion on the basis of meta rules', as opposed to judging on actual evidence.

Basically it's eerily similar to what woke social justice people, or what that annoying backstabbing teachers pet did back in school, which is find ways to manipulate people through regulatory rules for self interest reasons.

So the real question is, is it unethical to _not_ provide workstages or _not_ provide credits or actually anything at all other than the picture itself, with no other information at all.

No... It is not. I maintain that it would however be unethical to imply that this isn't so.
2023-12-25 16:59
Krill

Quoting Nim
So the real question is, is it unethical to _not_ provide workstages or _not_ provide credits or actually anything at all other than the picture itself, with no other information at all.

No... It is not. I maintain that it would however be unethical to imply that this isn't so.
As for credits, why, in a community where recognition and attribution are the primary currency, it's quite self-evidently unethical to deprive the original authors of works you've based your work on (if that's what you meant by "provide credits") of - a mere mention.
2023-12-25 17:03
Deev

Quote:

No... It is not.

If you've recreated someone elses artwork, it's just courtesy to give a credit to the original author. No-one is asking for in depth documentation of the process. Just a few words mentioning it.

Similarly if someone has based a competition entry on something generated by AI, or if they've wired across an image and fixed it a little, just mention that alongside the image. Again, a few words is all that's needed. In 2023 these processes are going to happen, but just be open about it.

I would ask _why_ some people are seemingly reluctant to provide this information if they don't feel keeping quiet is giving them some kind of unethical advantage?
2023-12-25 17:13
Nim

Quote: Quoting Nim

As for credits, why, in a community where recognition and attribution are the primary currency, it's quite self-evidently unethical to deprive the original authors of works you've based your work on (if that's what you meant by "provide credits") of - a mere mention.

Its the same mistake most people make when it comes to understanding positive and negative rights. Bare baseline should not be considered wrong simply for being baseline.

Here's a crazy idea, if you want more context, ask for it. But again, it is not unethical to not provide any.
2023-12-25 17:26
Deev

Quote:
Here's a crazy idea, if you want more context, ask for it. But again, it is not unethical to not provide any.

This is not really practical when someone is deciding how to vote in a graphics competition, for example.

If someone has recreated another person's artwork and refused to include a credit to the original artist, why might that be?
2023-12-25 17:29
Nim

Quoting Deev
I would ask _why_ some people are seemingly reluctant to provide this information if they don't feel keeping quiet is giving them some kind of unethical advantage?

Because you should have a baseline of giving the benefit of the doubt, doing the opposite is destructive and antisocial, borderline narcissistic.

If you're being rude and demanding that i prove myself i'll tell you to fuck off gestapo, if you're curious and convince me of your sincerity i will gladly show and tell.

But just like when it comes to magic tricks, not always, sometimes an air of mystery is good for the soul.

Assuming ill intent as a baseline is what leads to socialism. Then everyone can pretend they're ruining the world for the greater good!

(Sorry, couldn't help myself 😎)
2023-12-25 17:35
Nim

Quote: Quote:

This is not really practical when someone is deciding how to vote in a graphics competition, for example.

If someone has recreated another person's artwork and refused to include a credit to the original artist, why might that be?

First, were not talking about a competition, where the competition rules apply. You should judge accordingly.

Seccond, it may be assumed it's obvious?

Third, and most importantly, just how many "You dont know, do you?" can you apply to each and every one of your sneaky suspicions? Which is why i again, refer you to the text you quoted.
2023-12-25 18:05
Fungus

The very premise of the title of this thread is evidence enough of elitism and gatekeeping.

Also this is some real luddite stuff, if you don't like AI, great, if you do, great. Should you be transparent? Always. It's not really a debate.

The whole demanding work stages is a joke, etc.

How many sceners copied Boris or Michael Whelan over the decades? I'd say a lot and never gave a lick of credit then, and they won't now either.
2023-12-25 19:10
Krill

Quoting Nim
Its the same mistake most people make when it comes to understanding positive and negative rights. Bare baseline should not be considered wrong simply for being baseline.
This raises more questions than it provides answers. Care to elaborate?

Quoting Nim
I don't see how this somehow allows some "artist" to blatantly rip off another. Rip off as in not giving credit, thus implicitly claiming it as their own work entirely.
2023-12-25 21:00
Nim

Quoting Krill
Quoting Nim
This raises more questions than it provides answers. Care to elaborate?

Baseline is you have a pucture, what ever assumptions you make say more about you than the artist.
Quoting Krill
Quoting Nim
I don't see how this somehow allows some "artist" to blatantly rip off another. Rip off as in not giving credit, thus implicitly claiming it as their own work entirely.
It may be an homage, it may just be the context it's used in where it's obviously not original (like known photoreferences). The point of the picture may be the motif itself, the artist may just have challenged himself by wanting to try and see how they manage a certain gradient in a picture or whatever. He may not give a fuck whether you're familiar with the original work.

The lack of any meta information does not imply anything. If you make assumptions or worse, accusations at that point, you are projecting your state 9f mind, be it naive, nice or nasty.

Personally i like to live without regulations, people _who are told_ how to behave tend to have a lower ability to figure out how to properly behave given a new as of yet unregulated situation, than people _who learn_ how to behave. It's like people who conflate laws for morals.
2023-12-25 21:19
4gentE

@Fungus
Quote:
How many sceners copied Boris or Michael Whelan over the decades?
For how long do we have to listen to this non-argument, this tired old trope? Please, just forget about the stone age, we’re trying to have a conversation about the present and the future. This is especially weird logic if one considers that you wrote “this is some real luddite stuff”, just a few sentences prior. You know, same way technological growth happens, artistic growth also happens. Are you not aware of that? You seem to think that some ‘luddite’ people are trying to hinder tech progress, and at the same time you seem to be in favour of hindering artistic growth.

@Nim
Quote:
It may be an homage, it may just be the context it's used in where it's obviously not original (like known photoreferences). The point of the picture may be the motif itself, the artist may just have challenged himself by wanting to try and see how they manage a certain gradient in a picture or whatever.
What about 1:1 “tracing paper” style copies?
2023-12-25 21:34
spider-j

Quoting Deev
It's interesting to observe that, whilst graphcians may not all completely agree, they can usually appreciate why these things are an issue for some.

It's equally interesting to observe how, in the case of many coders, they seem completely unable to grasp the most basic points of the discussion.

That's because coding works completely different than "art". There is also some creativity involved, but it's usually far less "personal" – at least when it comes to the compiled code it self and not how you represent it in your text editor.

There are only so many "optimal" solutions to solve problems in code. Usually split up in three categories: size, speed or balanced (size and speed). Once an optimal solution has been found there is no need to reinvent the wheel unless you question the status quo as being "optimal". So coding is to a large extend "copying".

A good example are the size coding competitions held here and on forums. Often they start up with a couple of approaches to solve the problem. As the compo goes on usually one or two approaches will be received as the "most promising" and people start iterating on those until the "best solution" is found.

---

Anyway: Although I do make a little fun about the matter I do understand why some graphicians feel the need to have more regulations – especially when they are more into the "competitive" part of demoscene.

I'd always argue not to take everything you do too serious and not "over-regulate". I like the way it is handled in music competitions where nowadays we distinct between "original" and "cover" music competitions.

I'm not sure if and how one could apply such a concept for graphic competitions. Until the rise of PETSCII and those getting their own compos there weren't even any distinctions about format made. What I always wondered about.
2023-12-25 21:43
Nim

Quoting 4gentE
For how long do we have to listen to this non-argument, this tired old trope?
Ok...
The point is it's ok because it is, not because it was ok before, but it demonstrates that it was ok before too. And its still not wrong, ok? πŸ˜‰

There is nothing wrong with providing credits, workstages or even a parental note.
Go ahead do it, it's good shit!

But to then turn around and imply that not doing so is bad, is wrong. Because you're implying that by me not bringing a note from a parent makes me a liar.

Its also ignoring the hypothetical Mr.Gore who fakes his own parental note and joins the Big Red angry quire because it makes him look legit, and hes not the only one. Now you solved nothing and everyones pissed off.
2023-12-25 21:54
Nim

Quoting 4gentE

Funny you should ask, i asked my daughter about what she was up to as she was tracing a picture just the other day, she goes to a primary school with extra curriculums in arts.

Her answer was, "I want to color it."

So naturally i gave her a scolding for being a fucking rip-off...
2023-12-25 22:04
spider-j

@Nim I feel you're reading to much into it. I agree with some of your points, but many of your arguments have imho nothing to do with the document linked by the OP and what the graphicians discussing this issue have in mind.

I also think "ethic" is the wrong term here, but maybe it is also not about "regulation", but about "values".

And I don't think anything of the bad behaviour you recite is automagically implied by having those values.

When I read the doc with an open mind and in good faith I see a lot of good values for creating art that I'd also teach any newbee in a similar way.
2023-12-25 22:05
4gentE

@Nim
And your primary school aged daughter, if she pursues her interest, will very soon outgrow tracing paper copies.
2023-12-25 22:25
El Jefe

Quoting spider-j
@Nim I feel you're reading to much into it. I agree with some of your points, but many of your arguments have imho nothing to do with the document linked by the OP and what the graphicians discussing this issue have in mind.

And furthermore I feel that Nim's comments are making a constructive discussion about this interesting and important topic impossible. One could be forgiven for thinking that this is intentional.

Shocker/sidDivers
2023-12-25 22:30
Peacemaker

Quote: Quoting spider-j

And furthermore I feel that Nim's comments are making a constructive discussion about this interesting and important topic impossible. One could be forgiven for thinking that this is intentional.

Shocker/sidDivers

I am glad you are here beeing one of the most productive and constructive guy since 1992. Keep it on, we need people like you.
2023-12-25 22:30
Deev

Quoting Nim
Quoting 4gentE

Funny you should ask, i asked my daughter about what she was up to as she was tracing a picture just the other day, she goes to a primary school with extra curriculums in arts.

Her answer was, "I want to color it."

So naturally i gave her a scolding for being a fucking rip-off...

The message isn't don't make a 1:1 copy, it's be open about it.

If your daughter had shown you the traced picture without any explanation of the process and your assumption was that she hadn't created the image from scratch, you would be a "destructive and antisocial, borderline narcissist"?
2023-12-25 22:35
Nim

The point is dont assume it was traced in order to lie about it when she shows it, jist because she didnt volunteer that information.
2023-12-25 22:36
Deev

Quote:
Also this is some real luddite stuff, if you don't like AI, great, if you do, great. Should you be transparent? Always.

the wording of the document might not be quite right, but this is a key point it's trying to get across. People only start to ask questions when something is (obviously) being hidden

Quote:
It's not really a debate.

Yet plenty of people are debating it...
2023-12-25 22:42
Deev

Quote: The point is dont assume it was traced in order to lie about it when she shows it, jist because she didnt volunteer that information.

But if you release a picture with no production notes, some will assume you did 100% of the work, others will take the opposite view. Why not just remove that ambiguity right away?
2023-12-25 23:34
LMan

It is the argument of every oppressive police state: if you got nothing to hide, why shoud you be worried about surveillance?
2023-12-25 23:39
PAL

The document outlines ethical guidelines for original pixel art creation on the Commodore 64 demoscene. It emphasizes the importance of individual creativity, the use of personal references, and crediting sources when necessary. The guidelines encourage sharing work stages in competitions, respecting authors' rights, and being transparent about the use of AI or converted graphics. The proposal extends to party organizers and social media group moderators, promoting openness and information sharing within the C64 scene. The guidelines are supported by a group of graphic pixel artists who advocate for the creation of original ideas in their work.

Individual Expression: Acknowledge that the demoscene is a space for individual expression, and artists are free to create without feeling obligated to explain every nuance of their work.

Optional Disclosure: Emphasize that while sharing work stages and details is encouraged, it's not mandatory. Artists have the option to share insights if they wish, respecting the diversity of creative processes.

Fostering Creativity: Highlight the importance of fostering a creative environment where artists feel free to explore and experiment without the fear of judgment, and that the demoscene values the results of diverse creative approaches.

By acknowledging and respecting the freedom of artists to create without exhaustive explanation, the guidelines can support a vibrant and inclusive demoscene community. I think this is already in place today, as Burglar said about X gfx compos and other compos... Do we really need more than that?

In Norway's art scene (not pixels), there has been a discussion earlier that artists used video projectors to portray their images or Photoshop creations based on many sources and then worked with a lot... but to portray it onto a canvas and then make a big oil painting of it is not accepted... it is a bit like the way one had a grid in the past and set every tile by hand and then copied that over to the Commodore 64 paint program one was using, or as to do a fast convert draft and move on for 100 hours from there.

When I won the X gfx compo, I created an image of a different Donald Duck. At the party, I did several alterations. Grasstust of Hoaxers told me, "PAL, can you do something with those eyes?" and I pixeled new eyes while he and I sat there. Burglar told me it should be named "Duck It!" when I was to enter the file into the gfx compo, so I changed it to that much better title before the deadline. Should I credit this to the Walt Disney company? Really? In fact, Donald Duck was not my inspiration for the image; it was Arne And (https://www.xn--fl-mka.com/ics/serier/a-b/arneand/Images/1197.j..) because I loved that take on Donald. I wanted to make him trapped in the raster bars and in a kind of necklace or imprisoned in a way. He is still in full frontal attack and ready to party, but he is stuck there in a kind of despair, not being able to go full monty bananas on the clubbing scene or the dance floor.

In the end it come down to the fact that we are all children, still, we are grown up children and we do not want to be part of a scene where we have to document everything, that is the other side of life, the aduld side... lets be children and have fun. Lets be free... I will never ever enter a graphic compo staging fake workstages... that is just too lame.

You know, in the art world today, things are getting pretty wild. You can whip up an image using some AI magic, let it generate some cool stuff, or you can dive into live painting solutions where the canvas dances to your tune. But hey, how different is this from traditional painting, right?

I mean, think about it. If you're using a fancy 3D software with your own pipeline, tweaking nodes, and then splashing it onto the canvas of a Commodore 64, is that any less artistic than strokes in Painter or something?

The question is, where's the line? When does the magic created by the artist end, and the assistance from AI, shaders, or other tools begin? It's a bit like wandering into the unknown. What really counts as the artist's creation?

Some say it depends on how much manual effort you're putting in. If you're the puppet master pulling the strings in real-time, that's pretty artistic, right? Others argue that as long as you're steering the ship, making decisions, and shaping the creative direction, it's still very much your creation.

Intent matters too. If you're using these tools to enhance your unique vision rather than replace it, that's a big deal. And, of course, being honest about it. If you're upfront about the role of these tools and don't try to pull a fast one on your audience, it adds integrity to your process.

So, where do we draw the line? Well, that's a bit like asking where the wind begins, my friend. It might not be a clear-cut answer, but it keeps the creative world interesting, doesn't it?

A rebel of the pixel seas! So, this document, the holy grail of pixel art rules. Hold your horses, matey, because you've got a ship full of wild ideas, and you're not about to be tied down by pixel commandments.

The Uncharted Artist:
You're a free spirit, a pixel pirate sailing through the vast ocean of creativity. Signing a document? That's like asking a cat to walk the plank, it will just not happen.

Mind Full of Pixel Plots:
Your brain's a treasure chest of ideas, each pixel a potential adventure into something bigger and grand. Signing on the dotted line? Well, that's like putting your imagination in a tiny tiny box and always keep track of where inspiration came from. No can not do.

Apply, But Never Sign:
Sure, you might throw your hat in the ring, apply like a pixel renegade, but sign? That's for the rule-abiding sailors, not for a free spirits.

Divide and Pixel Conquer:
Signing? That's just creating a hierarchy of pixel artists. You're here to unite, not to divide. Pixel solidarity, my friend!

So, let them have their pixel treaties and signed declarations. You? You'll be out there, painting the waves of the pixelated unknown, a free spirit with a palette of the rebellion.

In the end, it's all about having fun with pixels and ideas. Can't we just keep it simple and enjoy the creative ride together?

PAL of Offence, Fairlight and FIG
2023-12-25 23:40
spider-j

Quoting LMan
It is the argument of every oppressive police state: if you got nothing to hide, why shoud you be worried about surveillance?

WAT? Come on. This is about being transparent about your inspirations, implementing original works by others etc... That is not "surveillance" and some fellow artists wanting to know / learn about your workflow is no police state.

We should leave the parables to Jesus ;-) In discussions like this they often fail to get the point right.
2023-12-25 23:43
LMan

I said it is the same invalid argument used to justify the prying. Not that it is the same thing.
2023-12-25 23:44
Deev

Quote: It is the argument of every oppressive police state: if you got nothing to hide, why shoud you be worried about surveillance?

This isn't about governence or demanding compliance. It's simply that in a scene where one person's work is compared to another's, it's good to be open about your processes. I don't see why this is a problem
2023-12-25 23:52
LMan

I fully agree, and I love sharing and seeing workstages. but not in an atmosphere that would lead to repercussions if you don't want to.

The document should be rewritten in an encouraging tone, that would work much better. It's the point NiM is trying to get across, too. Encouragement to participate in learning and teaching by sharing. But as it is, it rather feels like "workstages or didn't happen"

And I have seen enough c64 pixel workstages where I suspect reverse engineering, that I stand by the opinion that workstages can never serve as proof.
2023-12-25 23:56
PAL

When no pixel ever change in workstages it is sure a con, just to say so.
2023-12-26 00:03
Deev

Quote: I fully agree, and I love sharing and seeing workstages. but not in an atmosphere that would lead to repercussions if you don't want to.

The document should be rewritten in an encouraging tone, that would work much better. It's the point NiM is trying to get across, too. Encouragement to participate in learning and teaching by sharing. But as it is, it rather feels like "workstages or didn't happen"

And I have seen enough c64 pixel workstages where I suspect reverse engineering, that I stand by the opinion that workstages can never serve as proof.

I do completely agree with you on this. I've mentioned myself I think it needs a far more welcoming and friendly tone.

And I think we've all seen clearly faked workstages.

My own personal view is that nothing should be defined as "wrong" (AI, conversion etc etc), but there should be some openness about the process (happy for this to be brief), so everyone can judge for themselves. Some people will still only ever care about the end result and that is also fine.
2023-12-26 00:12
spider-j

Quoting LMan
Encouragement to participate in learning and teaching by sharing. But as it is, it rather feels like "workstages or didn't happen"

Reading through the document once again I have to say: doesn't feel to me like "workstages or didn't happen".

True, there is a strong emphasis on "workstages" in the document – what I also find the rather silly aspect of this discussion – as I demonstrated in some of my recent comments and releases here. BUT the main focus still reads for me like "give credit where credit is due" and this is for me totally okay.
2023-12-26 00:21
Copyfault

Ok, seems this topic gets everyone involved sooner or later. So I dare to add my point of view. Interesting that once a document tackling the topic of ethics in our demoscene exists, it causes *that* much discussion...

Maybe I've been reading it (again and again) with the wrong eye, but for me it reads like a plea for transparency - not more, but also not less.

Taking it over to coding, I guess a similar debate could arise if e.g. someone releases a brand new effect or some really hard thing improved - let's say that UFLImax with 187 lines (just in order to have something in mind). Now if that someone who releases it did not do any line of code by him/herself, but just fed an AI again and again with clever phrases until this AI-tool spits out the complete code - I *do* think everyone here'd consider that someone lame right away - unless the reference to that AI tool was given.

Not being a graphics guys at all, I can just faintly try to imagine how complex such kind of "trickery" can become in the field of graphics. Thus, the persons who created that Guide of Ethics-document tried to go into detail here and there, but, well, it's a well-meant proposal trying to sensitise for being honest ("true to the game" as was written in quite some demos back then).

Workstages were discussed here, too. While they can serve as transparency token for the workflow of some artist and at the same time as a blueprint others might be able to learn from, they can also be faked already today - and I'm no prophet of doom when saying that workstages will be faked more easily in the very near future. Still, the very moment some aritst tries to learn from someone else's workstages and starts to struggle, fake will become evident. Ofcourse, there's no flood of artist getting their hands on workstages every time they get released, but the point is: workstages might be fake-able, but when created honestly, they prove a point and share goodness.

It was also said before that a very similar debate was led (and is still led every now and then) when the powerful pcs became standard and converting "took over". Well, I think it never really did "take over" the field of pixel gfx if you ask me - it just added a bit to it, but in almost all cases, the WIRED-tag was given by viewers instantly. As lame as it was (and for sure not art-related in any way!), I also do think it was a necessary phase that somehow helped the C64-scene to overcome the early 90ies. But that's a completely different discussion, let's not go that way now...

What really makes me sad is when people consider heading away from the c64. The people that created the ethics document seem to be at a crossing - and I f**king do not want any of them (or any other one still around here) to leave due to some "odd feeling" that honesty does not play an important role anymore. Ofcourse, good behaviour cannot just be implemented by setting up "rules" - it can only be asked for in the most polite way, but... I think that "Guide of Ethics" does exactly this. The name is a bit dramatic in a way, but I guess it says more about the feeling (some of) its authors have rather than it sheds light on the contents.

In the end, everyone of us has to decide it for him/herself: is there any reason for not being honest? Well, it's still christmas, so I tend to hope noone really favors that...

And (coming back to the constructed coding example): it's so much more valuable to go through something and solve things with the own mind, that -at least for me- doing the work oneself will always win over involving fancy AI algorithms. And somehow I think that's valid for most of the still active c64 people and let's me look positively into the future...

Sorry for the long blah...

CF
2023-12-26 00:27
PAL

In today's software, we have AI integrated into many applications. One can use AI in real-time painting, similar to how Painter used to work its magic. However, with AI, you can alter the representation and behavior of each stroke. The question is, how should one credit that? Is it the artist, the AI, or just pure magic?
2023-12-26 00:28
LMan

Quoting spider-j
True, there is a strong emphasis on "workstages" in the document – what I also find the rather silly aspect of this discussion – as I demonstrated in some of my recent comments and releases here. BUT the main focus still reads for me like "give credit where credit is due" and this is for me totally okay.

Yes there is the problem, emphasis on workstages. It's the question, do we want it as proof? Or to learn from each other? In the latter case it does not belong into an ethics codex.
2023-12-26 00:36
Burglar

Quoting Electric
@Burglar: The document does not limit anyone in the ways they do work. It’s just proposing for transparency. We’ll update it for sure basing on the feedback received – especially with feedback from people making graphics for C64 demoscene. I guess the part that’s talking to party orgs is merely due the recent debates and flood with AI and conversions – there has been a lot of faked workstages etc in some big demo party comps. The document proposes just to pay more attention to the rules (which of course can be anything from no rules to something more strict) and see how they are executed in the gfx submitted. We’ll see what happens in the future. There are examples in our sandbox history where wiring for example took over leading to some original artists to disappear from the scene.

When a group of elite c64 artists drop a "Guide of Ethics", the tone was immediately set. Good to hear it was not intended. I hope emphasizing "especially with feedback from people making graphics" only to me (a non-artist) was also not intended.
When a document is causing so much drama and requires constant clarification of intentions, it's a pretty good sign the doc has not been written properly. If it's meant to only propose for transparency, then that's what it should be about.
It is puzzling to me to see people signing *and* claiming they won't always follow the guidelines themselves.

I still read your GoE as a call to action for party organizers to adjust their rules, demand workstages and set up review & disqualification processes with "competent" supervisors (whoever that may be). Because this is what the doc proposes.
These processes require clearly defined rules to be of any use, otherwise they will just turn into what happened now.
For you, as an esteemed artist, it's maybe easy to detect cheaters. For me (besides the obvious), it is impossible, even with workstages.
It is premature to even list a proposal for organizers when the normal discussion has just started.

Archmage put it nicely: "Theory is one thing, but organizing a competition is hard enough as it is without curating the thing in the heat of the moment.". This is the point I'm making again, I would appreciate a response.

I'm still waiting for someone to pm me real examples from recent major compos, so that I can understand the impact through fact and not just by unsubstantiated claims. A tribute demo with a pic based off of a photo reference is not an example, of course he used a reference: it's a tribute pic and he did not enter it in a graphics compo either. I believe Future Ninja was an honest mistake.

So, no change with my preference for relying on the ethical behavior of the artists themselves when they enter compos. I'll gladly increase the input textbox size in votox and encourage people to share something about their creative process. I will also consider optional workstages.zip support that could be published during voting, but not shown on the big screen.

I will happily support transparency, but I don't want to be the pixel police.

Quoting chatGPZ
Quote:

I have to oppose the "impossible to properly pull off" - this is common business on the easter parties, for decades, in the music compos. In that case simple because there are way too many entries to be able to show all of them. A similar preselection could surely be implemented for GFX too. And regarding the easter parties, i know for sure that GFX entries are checked for conversions IF they look suspicious (i have disqualified one myself at some breakpoint...). It IS doable. But it is work someone needs to do (on the easter parties the preselect juries are ad hoc recruited from the visitors, similar to how it worked at X years ago).

The problem is not with spotting the obvious, the voters will spot it too. Many voters will spot suspicious entries better than me.
It is also not about pre-selection (thank god I don't have to deal with that at X), removing the crap is easier than to disqualify a possible podium winning picture.

Then there's the pragmatic stuff, 1 person taking care of 100+ compo entries, 1 person on compo hardware/adhoc testing/wifi and 1 person on a/v/beamer/performances/talks/etc. And still they started every single event exactly on time.
I do not have the time to organize and manage juries, decide on 40+ gfx entries, deal with appeals and angry sceners, and still have tight deadlines before compos.
2023-12-26 00:42
spider-j

Quoting LMan
Or to learn from each other? In the latter case it does not belong into an ethics codex.

Hm. As I said, I also agree that "ethics" is kind of misleading. In general I also think that some of the wording could have been chosen to sound less "dramatic".

But I do think that some kind of: "it is a plus to share your workflow in whatever way that fits" can be a useful part of such an "inner cirlce sceners" agreement.

I feel "workstages" is just put there because it's the easiest way to get the point across. *shrug*

But afaik "workstages" are already mandatory at many parties. At least I've seen a lot of them shown at the big screen.
2023-12-26 01:48
ws

Quote:
Not nice:
Using someone else’s ideas
Using someone else’s style
Using conversion tools
Keeping it all a secret

seriously? a postulate with such vague definitions is just pointless thought policing and doesn't help anyone. this is the c64 scene. we can and will do whatever we want, everything is free, reshuffle the deck, everbody gets to have their own rules. we don't answer to anyone, except MOS 6510 - who's the boss.
2023-12-26 01:50
El Jefe

Quoting spider-j
Hm. As I said, I also agree that "ethics" is kind of misleading. In general I also think that some of the wording could have been chosen to sound less "dramatic".

Spidey, I think you're right about the choice of words on a few points. But that has been emphasized again and again by the creators of the doc. It is meant as a draft and feedback is very welcome in order to adapt the document in the course of the ongoing discussion, so that the best possible agreement can be achieved.

Shocker/sidDivers
2023-12-26 01:51
spider-j

Quoting ws
we can and will do whatever we want

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IpF9O0R873I ;-)
2023-12-26 01:54
El Jefe

Quoting ws
Quote:
Not nice:
Using someone else’s ideas
Using someone else’s style
Using conversion tools
Keeping it all a secret

seriously? a postulate with such vague definitions is just pointless thought policing and doesn't help anyone. this is the c64 scene. we can and will do whatever we want, everything is free, reshuffle the deck, everbody gets to have their own rules. we don't answer to anyone, except MOS 6510 - who's the boss.

ffs, is it that hard to read AND comprehend??

@ws: please read my last post (#92)

Edit:
So far you missed your opportunity to contribute in a constructive way to this topic. If it is important to you why not make some suggestions instead of making just negative comments?
2023-12-26 02:04
ws

Which part of "such vague definitions" did you not understand? And do you really think i'd help with such a pamphlet? I was just trying to make a point.
2023-12-26 02:08
Krill

Quoting spider-j
BUT the main focus still reads for me like "give credit where credit is due"
Yeah, that magical border between due and undue credit is what the discussion should be about. :)

Of course assuming that nobody in their right mind would deny due credit. =)
2023-12-26 02:12
El Jefe

Quoting ws
Which part of "such vague definitions" did you not understand? And do you really think i'd help with such a pamphlet? I was just trying to make a point.

Why make a point if you are not willing to participate in the discussion? Also Im not sure what you point actually is.
2023-12-26 02:20
ws

My point is: why should we actively participate in the curtailment of our freedom?
2023-12-26 02:40
El Jefe

I still dont get what your point is. Is it the "vague definition" or the "curtailment of your freedom"? The document can by no means be interpreted in the latter way and you say that you are not willing to help finding a not-so-vague definition.

See what Spidey, Krill, Copyfault and also others wrote. Good night!

Shocker/sidDivers
2023-12-26 02:57
ws

If you honestly, openly answer to my last question ("NOT NICE" is a curtailment), it will unlock a new level to this discussion. And sincerely, i wish you a nice night, too.
2023-12-26 03:32
Fungus

4gentE, nope you're the one who wants to force people to do things how you think is correct. Going by all your replies, it's not a tried trope when it's a fact either. It's a valid argument.

I'm all for people using any kind of enhancements they like, the future is moving towards it. Is it a good thing? Maybe, maybe not, but it's going to continue and be a thing if you like it or not, so deal with it.
2023-12-26 06:11
Hein

Quoting PAL

In Norway's art scene (not pixels), there has been a discussion earlier that artists used video projectors to portray their images or Photoshop creations based on many sources and then worked with a lot... but to portray it onto a canvas and then make a big oil painting of it is not accepted... it is a bit like the way one had a grid in the past and set every tile by hand and then copied that over to the Commodore 64 paint program one was using, or as to do a fast convert draft and move on for 100 hours from there.

Interesting, I've tried this as well, projecting and tracing. This is a perfectly fine process for doing portraits that have to be accurate, else someone might not pay the bill. But it's alot more exciting for an artist to not work like that, and see where the painting goes. Most of the time the end result is an insult for the person being portrayed, but for an artist it's a bliss, adding dimensions to a painting that would not be there if traced. From my experience, that is.
2023-12-26 08:13
LMan

Exactly! If I want an accurate colored pencil portrait I use projections to place key features. The rest is freehand, including corrections and sometimes erasingnans moving features to make it work better. It is but one part of the creative process. It is shunned by art schools. That's what reflects here in a way.

There is always the matter of the measurement of creative merit. Is a completely hand drawn pixel art higher in level than a plain ai wire? Certainly. Is an AI wire higher than some of the crap that passes as high art in museums and fetches millions? Imho yes.

Is a deformed freehand portrait higher in level than an accurate one where tracing was used? Imho the level is the same. The accurate one used the helping technique whereas the other did a rough approximation.

I understand and accept that others view this differently, especially people indoctrinated by art schools.
2023-12-26 09:06
Hein

Quoting LMan
It is but one part of the creative process. It is shunned by art schools. That's what reflects here in a way.

Funnily enough, from a Dutch point of view, Rembrandt, Vermeer, Frans Hals or Van Dyck, all technically superior painters, are not half as popular as that drunk lamer without skills called Van Gogh. I suppose a lot of people can relate to him or are at least touched by his ordinary looking art.
2023-12-26 10:13
chatGPZ

I haven't seen as much artistry on csdb ever since those threads exploded.
2023-12-26 10:21
LMan

Indeed. All fair and good. "What is art?" The answer can and will always be completely subjective. I reject the official academical elitist answer to it. Art is free.
2023-12-26 10:31
chatGPZ

There is very little "Art" happening in the Demoscene according to MY definition for that matter. And that's why i like it. YMMV
2023-12-26 12:20
4gentE

I address this post to all graphicians that feel this initiative is out to hinder them or tell them what to do. You are misunderstanding its point if that’s how you see it. Please, read it again, open minded, think about it, turn a blind eye to occasional clumsy wording that makes you raise an eyebrow. And try to get to the core of it. I’m telling you that this initiative is not out to restrict you. On the contrary, this initiative is, if anything, out to set you free. So that no one is put under pressure to portray his/her work as something it’s not. There’s enough room for all kinds of graphics and all kinds of processes. Don’t let some half-defined feeling of uneasyness box you away from the red pill.
2023-12-26 13:20
Joe

People talk about things that are off the stage and try to make their own thing to be something special, it disgusts me. We all do it and its part of the guild.

Quite a lot disgusts me, such as enduring awards and voting, because no one votes, it becomes like partisan communities that disgustingly bring out things they hold dear. And I vote the most, it disgusts me and it doesn’t even make a difference having over 50.000 votes. And fashion changes year after year and something else is in focus. Looking at things disgusts me, from A.I. images to well disputed first winners: Death skulls and animals, always portraits with no stories, hires and borderless.

I think that when we desire authenticity, it has to do with the fact that society at large has already lost focus on art, culture and education. It's the same everywhere. Libraries look more and more like bookstores and those, in turn, seem almost more like libraries. Schools are more and more like YouTube videos and nothing seems to be more than entertainment.

Everywhere we see the decay of cultural institutions, in favor of some kind of TikTok culture, where the exaggerated and invisible replaces a long tradition of craftsmanship and know-how.

And for once, as in a single phase and resistance to where the world is barking, some graphic artists ask for just; Authenticity, work-stages, resistance. And then we see how it turns out: Everyone has cheated. But for what does it mean in the long run? That the disgust was greater than the admiration!
2023-12-26 13:30
Hein

You sound like an old man, Joe. ;) Modernity does not take authenticity away from you.
2023-12-26 13:30
LMan

Quote: I address this post to all graphicians that feel this initiative is out to hinder them or tell them what to do. You are misunderstanding its point if that’s how you see it. Please, read it again, open minded, think about it, turn a blind eye to occasional clumsy wording that makes you raise an eyebrow. And try to get to the core of it. I’m telling you that this initiative is not out to restrict you. On the contrary, this initiative is, if anything, out to set you free. So that no one is put under pressure to portray his/her work as something it’s not. There’s enough room for all kinds of graphics and all kinds of processes. Don’t let some half-defined feeling of uneasyness box you away from the red pill.

It's not that we don't understand. We argue about the wording, and the scope, and whether such a document does more good than harm or vice versa.

I understand that was the op's intention. Get input to refine the document.
2023-12-26 13:36
Joe

@Hein: It's obvious you have neither worked at a communal school teaching or at a library, so I might sound like an old man complaining, since I have done both! But you seem to be missing what is happening.
It's called digitalization and everyone is so hooked on it, it's destroying our world!
2023-12-26 14:07
Hein

Quoting Joe
@Hein: It's obvious you have neither worked at a communal school teaching or at a library, so I might sound like an old man complaining, since I have done both! But you seem to be missing what is happening.
It's called digitalization and everyone is so hooked on it, it's destroying our world!

The same was said about our first computers. But we'll see, in the meantime try to find things that make you wonder, there are plenty. Or, as you actually already do, make others wonder.
2023-12-26 14:38
Joe

Wow, you are so completely off the real world, it makes one cry.
2023-12-26 14:40
Hein

Quoting Joe
Wow, you are so completely off the real world, it makes one cry.

Heh, how do you know about my real world problems? :P AI is the least of my problems, let alone CSDb votes or TikTok.
2023-12-26 16:35
4gentE

@Joe :
Just please don’t stop doing what you’re doing on the C64. You make a whole bunch of us happy.
2023-12-26 16:42
Joe

The lot of you make me disgusted, it's hard to go on, with being disgusted at people, trying to do art, with people laughing at art and just keeping on making fun at it with poor competitions and awards like the Ninja, and stuff like that. Poor is the references when texts arise, and poor is the references when art is aroused (Part from MultiStyle Labs which has serious music-value). Poor is values when stuff is shown, it's always THIS THIS IS and seldomly THAT, THOSE and THEIRS. disgusted. I think the text was a start at this, to try to find the real starting point, and not that one we all felt before - the disgusting one.
2023-12-26 16:56
Hein

A pitty, there may indeed be alot of mediocracy, but it is still valid.
2023-12-26 17:31
Nim

Quote: The lot of you make me disgusted, it's hard to go on, with being disgusted at people, trying to do art, with people laughing at art and just keeping on making fun at it with poor competitions and awards like the Ninja, and stuff like that. Poor is the references when texts arise, and poor is the references when art is aroused (Part from MultiStyle Labs which has serious music-value). Poor is values when stuff is shown, it's always THIS THIS IS and seldomly THAT, THOSE and THEIRS. disgusted. I think the text was a start at this, to try to find the real starting point, and not that one we all felt before - the disgusting one.

Joe, we obviously worship different gods, in the context of a tree, you worship the fruit, the end result and the labor... There are many, some are better, some are worse and some are rotten, but glory be the perfect fruit, basking in the sunlight.

There is nothing wrong with it, the quality of the fruit is the treasure. It deserves attention.

Some of us worship the whole, the ground, the roots, the trunk of the tree, the branches, the leaves, the sunlight, the air and the rain.

We worship what makes the fruit possible. And when we see fruitlovers cutting at the roots because they're not considering the whole, someone like me will say stop, you don't know what you're doing.

So stop, you don't know what you're doing.
2023-12-26 17:42
Joe

"So stop, you don't know what you are doing", wow, you stop. es ekelt mich an! This disgust me! This is not ok adressing me this way Nim!
2023-12-26 18:02
Nim

Quote: "So stop, you don't know what you are doing", wow, you stop. es ekelt mich an! This disgust me! This is not ok adressing me this way Nim!

Stop what? I'm reacting to a bad idea, i and others are trying to explain why it's a bad idea. It's not that the sentiment is wrong, it's the implementation that isn't thought out, and probably the imagined problem either.

Workstages? Not one person is against,
Credits? Who would object?
Explaining your process? A bit more suspect, but if you're genuinly interested i love to share some knowledge.

We ALL know and agree with this, so what then is this document trying to do?

But how about the unseen?

Experimentation, learning process, getting feedback, giving feedback, the necessity for mystery, guesswork, optimization and speeding up processes.

All of these and a whole bunch more are all part and necessary for the pixel garden of the scene.

The weeds you're trying to get rid of, the lies, the cheats, and the people who just want to see the world burn, those will remain unaffected, and in some cases, empowered by the type of nudging this type of regulation implies.

It's just a bad idea.
2023-12-26 18:04
LMan

@Joe: why not form a gfx group and set new standards? Like MSL for gfx. The scene needs and loves em all, pros, amateurs and even lamers.

Amateur is supposed to be a positive word btw.
2023-12-26 18:07
Joe

At least people can see for the future how people act against each other with comments above ^^ and can be assured the c64 scene was less than happy to be around; D.

The funniest bit was the competitions, which sometimes was around the corner. Sour looser as seen in many of the threads and threats as these recent ones. I hope someone could still share a happy Christmas greeting: With sour dinosaurs they are at least honest too people who pretend to be honest: Happy Losers and and a happy New Year.

It's just a bad idea, now leave me alone, so I might be able to do art again! And I always put workstages.
2023-12-26 18:13
Nim

Quote: At least people can see for the future how people act against each other with comments above ^^ and can be assured the c64 scene was less than happy to be around; D.

The funniest bit was the competitions, which sometimes was around the corner. Sour looser as seen in many of the threads and threats as these recent ones. I hope someone could still share a happy Christmas greeting: With sour dinosaurs they are at least honest too people who pretend to be honest: Happy Losers and and a happy New Year.

It's just a bad idea, now leave me alone, so I might be able to do art again! And I always put workstages.

Merry Christmas and a happy new year, i hope it's not... disgusting ;)
2023-12-26 18:13
Hein

Quoting LMan
@Joe: why not form a gfx group and set new standards? Like MSL for gfx. The scene needs and loves em all, pros, amateurs and even lamers.

Isn't it already a gfx group?
2023-12-26 18:17
Joe

You can find most of my graphics here:
https://www.behance.net/james_svard
2023-12-26 18:26
acrouzet

Looks like this thread has gone on long enough to start to devolve into the exaggerated arguing phase. For my own hastily-written two cents, I honestly can't really see a scene-wide guide like this working out, especially since the scene is so decentralized (which I think is a good thing). I'm sympathetic to the motivations behind it. I'm deeply concerned about AI too, but at the same time, obsessing over potential new rules may make things worse? From my limited and young experience, I feel like the scene's "rules" kinda just came about through unwritten agreements developed on a case-by-case basis. The scene is such a voluntary thing, nothing will work unless everyone agrees that it will ultimately make their life more fulfilling.

Maybe we can learn from the music scene. Even the greats of the likes of Rob Hubbard and Martin Galway sometimes straight up covered artists like Jean Michel-Jarre and Pink Floyd without credit. Eventually the development of the HVSC and the STIL.txt allowed these covers to be known, and it became more of an untold responsibility for musicians to credit any influences in their work. Even now, I've recognized a few uncredited covers in the HVSC from as late as the 00s, but providing credits to the HVSC is seen as a good and even fun contribution to the scene. I've seen threads pop up on the forums where people work together to hunt for uncredited covers as a sort of game. And nowadays, nearly everyone who makes a cover makes sure to specify so.

I'm pretty much against trying to restrict the use of technology for anyone, but I also think that fairness in creativity is important for it to thrive. Maybe the best way forward is for competitions to make their own rules, for the community to call out bad actors when they arise and work together to do the obvious right things when the opportunities arise. In the end, the future is unpredictable, best to just enjoy creating and sharing art while we can.
2023-12-26 18:35
LMan

Yeah that's what I twas getting at... Form a group, have group principles as outlined in the document, and let the best set new standards by example rather than general public rulesets. More will aspire to follow, surely not everyone.

That was also the gist of Carrion's presentation. Setting a positive example to escape the AI and cheating dilemma.
2023-12-26 18:50
Joe

Let’s just see how fun 2024 starts, with copies in music, art and demo-effects. I guess it will be just as hilarious as this year has been? I hope Propaganda News is also released, I made an image for that mag 1 year ago, and it's the last time I make an image which who’s up 1 year later.
2023-12-26 22:31
hedning

Quote: Let’s just see how fun 2024 starts, with copies in music, art and demo-effects. I guess it will be just as hilarious as this year has been? I hope Propaganda News is also released, I made an image for that mag 1 year ago, and it's the last time I make an image which who’s up 1 year later.

I am sorry for that. I'll talk to you in private about that. We are 3 months after deadline for Propa right now, and I recieved your pic in April.
2023-12-27 00:12
PAL

It's very sad to witness the downward spiral of this thread – personal releases delayed (?), disgust over differing opinions, what others create and find fun and the always assumption of the worst. This is precisely why a document signed by the absolutely "elite" pixel artists, dictating a join-sign-or-else stance, is a terrible idea, despite the document's valid and sensible content. Without the signing it could actually work, and it do almost today, allready.

Let's wrap up with some Neil Young wisdom that I think fit perfectly:

There's colors on the street
Red, white and blue
People shufflin' their feet
People sleepin' in their shoes
But there's a warnin' sign on the road ahead
There's a lot of people sayin' we'd be better off dead
Don't feel like Satan, but I am to them
So I try to forget it any way I can

Keep on rockin' in the free world
2023-12-27 07:54
Hein

Here we are, groups of pixel artists that despise eachother. Oh well, nothing changed, only that it's out in the open now. Maybe that's a good thing after all.
2023-12-27 09:28
LMan

Nope I still love you all. Can't be the only one, surely?

Peace.
2023-12-27 20:05
Nim

Quoting Hein
Here we are, groups of pixel artists that despise eachother. Oh well, nothing changed, only that it's out in the open now. Maybe that's a good thing after all.

Oh come now, I'm sure we can separate the topic from the person? Nothing wrong with a little passion πŸ˜‰
2023-12-27 20:56
Hein

Quoting Nim
Quoting Hein

Oh come now, I'm sure we can separate the topic from the person? Nothing wrong with a little passion πŸ˜‰

What was the topic again? ;)
2023-12-27 22:37
CreaMD

@Hein

Graphics on C64 demoscene: Guide of Ethics – a Proposal

Dear fellow sceners,

This is an attempt to get more understanding among, and for, C64 demoscene pixel artists. It’s not written to limit anyone, but a prayer for more transparency.

Read the document here: ->Graphics on C64 demoscene: Guide of Ethics – a Proposal<-

We tried to give define and value different processes. Which is a result of discussion, where we saw mutual grounds and felt the need to write these down.
We will update the document periodically, when enough input has been gathered and sorted out.

We’d really love to hear your thoughts on the subjects in the document.
Please post them in this thread.

(Personally I will not always fully comply to these guidelines myself, but I will continue to be transparant about it. However, I do agree with the values communicated in this document.)

Sander/Focus
2023-12-28 02:56
Raistlin

Quote: @Joe: why not form a gfx group and set new standards? Like MSL for gfx. The scene needs and loves em all, pros, amateurs and even lamers.

Coders need these groups too… musicians have them, graphicians -have- had them in the part (DiArt etc I believe?)… coders are just underrepresented :p .. coders should be in 10 different groups at the same time too :p

Anyway, sorry, I took this careering semi truck of a thread off course … back to the chaos of whatever the current topic was.
2023-12-29 10:06
Jetboy

There is one simple fact we need to face:

We are all getting obsolete quickly.

No amount of petitions will change that. So have fun while you still can.
2023-12-29 15:26
CreaMD

Quote: There is one simple fact we need to face:

We are all getting obsolete quickly.

No amount of petitions will change that. So have fun while you still can.

Although technology and art forms may change over time, certain pieces of art will continue to be valued and remembered. This could be due to their unique expression, emotional impact, historical significance, or a combination of these factors. Even as artists and the tools they use become obsolete, their art can live on and maintain its relevance and value to future generations.
2023-12-29 16:26
Mixer

Perhaps there should be a general discussion thread about this new hammer we've got to play with.
2023-12-29 23:52
arch0N

Technology is simply a tool; it needs someone to operate it. AI won’t replace you, but someone who knows how to use it might.

I respect the desire to remain true to pixel art, but just as photography didn’t eliminate the artist, AI is here to stay and will continue to improve. If you avoid using AI, photo references, stock images, or anything that comes to mind, you might be making your work more difficult. I’m not suggesting that simply entering a prompt into Midjourney is enough - actually, the more detailed you are with your prompt, the more the results might stray from what you envisioned. It’s just a tool, after all.

Rob Hubbard’s statement “Mutate or Die” from his speech at 10:25 comes to mind:

https://youtu.be/rSDz7x5UVIc?si=W-YE_tJHkJzpTKtd.
2023-12-30 01:23
PAL

arch0N: cool post
2023-12-30 03:39
acrouzet

In the end, do what's most fulfilling to YOU, and surely there will be people who appreciate it.
2023-12-30 09:25
arch0N

Quote: arch0N: cool post

Thanks Man and great post of yours #10, fully agree there.
2023-12-30 10:18
4gentE

Quote:
Technology is simply a tool

While this claim makes sense when put together with the rest of the sentence, as it was made to show that technology is dependent on human operator, I just want to point out that on its own, this claim is dead wrong. In context of your post = right, on its own = dead wrong.
What you’re saying is very defetistic, you’re basically saying: if you are a charcoal drawing artist and they invent a charcoal drawing machine, you should better quickly learn how to oil and service this machine, as this will be your job from now on. Mutate or die. It’s very defetistic and perhaps very true.
But why are we philosophizing about “AI” here, let’s get back to the conversation about the paper.
2023-12-30 11:17
Hein

Quoting 4gentE
Quote:
Technology is simply a tool

While this claim makes sense when put together with the rest of the sentence, as it was made to show that technology is dependent on human operator, I just want to point out that on its own, this claim is dead wrong. In context of your post = right, on its own = dead wrong.
What you’re saying is very defetistic, you’re basically saying: if you are a charcoal drawing artist and they invent a charcoal drawing machine, you should better quickly learn how to oil and service this machine, as this will be your job from now on. Mutate or die. It’s very defetistic and perhaps very true.
But why are we philosophizing about “AI” here, let’s get back to the conversation about the paper.

Or, if you're an oil painter, you can use an iPad with Procreate (as a tool) and mimic oil paint.

But adaptation seems a good strategy indeed if you want to be ahead of the curve.
2023-12-30 11:30
4gentE

Quote:
Or, if you're an oil painter, you can use an iPad with Procreate (as a tool) and mimic oil paint.

Or you can use an iPad with or without Procreate as a literal tool for applying paint to the canvas. ;)
2023-12-30 11:31
Hein

Quoting 4gentE
Quote:

Or you can use an iPad with or without Procreate as a literal tool for applying paint to the canvas. ;)

Even better!
RefreshSubscribe to this thread:

You need to be logged in to post in the forum.

Search the forum:
Search   for   in  
All times are CET.
Search CSDb
Advanced
Users Online
celticdesign/Gβ˜…P/M..
Laurikka
Hagar/The Supply Team
El Jefe/Slackers^sidD
ibux/Artline Designs..
Alakran_64