Log inRegister an accountBrowse CSDbHelp & documentationFacts & StatisticsThe forumsAvailable RSS-feeds on CSDbSupport CSDb Commodore 64 Scene Database
You are not logged in - nap
CSDb User Forums

Forums > CSDb Discussions > Cracked tools
2007-12-19 00:57
Rough
Account closed

Cracked tools

Cracked (commercial) tools/applications (mainly from the start of the C64 era) should be filed under C64 CRACKS, not C64 TOOLS.

... 24 posts hidden. Click here to view all posts....

2007-12-20 15:11
tlr

Technically cracked tools are also Cracks but I don't think they should be listed as such unless an option is introduced to tag them as tools.
I don't know about you, but I sometimes search for tools here.
It helps if the tools are tagged as tools.
2008-01-03 18:02
Rough
Account closed

Actually cracked tools are commercial utilities like Paint Magic/Datamost (Jedi), FCopy 3/Thomas Tempelmann (Crackman) etc., it we see them as tool entries they shouldn't be in CSDb at all, as they are NON-SCENE RELEASES like the infamous games discussion showed yet the majority dislikes those added.

therefore these should be filed as crack (.crt of Music Maker or .d64 of Paint Magic original shouldnt according to the rules be here at all..they are not btw.)

then there's plenty of tools by scene people like Sinus Sculpt by 2000 A.D., Dirmaster/Faces etc.

therefore those should be filed as tools

pretty simple.

2008-01-04 02:27
Tim
Account closed

oh my..

Some of you are actually seriously considering to count cracked tools as cracks just for the sake of bending the rules and allowing them into csdb?

What an idea.. I see a whole revival of diskmags that were only popular because 1 chapter: the cracking charts..

I thought I’d seen it all.. basic games getting points, seuck games getting point but now a whole new generation of action replay crackers can now, besides hunting for previously unreleased 80’s games actually go hunt and introlink tools just to make sure that they can be admitted into CSDB and get 0.1 to 0.5 points (I’m guessing here.. this calls for new standards) in the mags.

Wow.. ‘ brilliant ‘ (just incase someone doesn’t read into the sarcasm

I never understood the non tolerance of commercial releases and personally I think they should be tolerated, but .. well, if it’s not a scene release it then should not be here like rough says.

I am so (?) looking forward to the next example of how ‘scene’ is defined to a release as I’m sure it’s only going to get more fun.. next up maybe.. intro linking commercial demomakers, perhaps ntsc fixing diskfilers/editors, I could go on forever, but that would be trolling ;)
2008-01-04 08:39
chatGPZ

Quote:

Some of you are actually seriously considering to count cracked tools as cracks just for the sake of bending the rules and allowing them into csdb?

so cracked tools aren't cracks? or what are you trying to say? :)
2008-01-04 09:04
Oswald

Quote: Technically cracked tools are also Cracks but I don't think they should be listed as such unless an option is introduced to tag them as tools.
I don't know about you, but I sometimes search for tools here.
It helps if the tools are tagged as tools.

another reason to have tags
2008-01-04 11:36
Rough
Account closed

Bordeaux: I don't know what you are trying to tell us, your text is a bit confused.

In the first half of the C64 heydays commercial utilities definately had pretty good copy protections e.g. Copy Programs like Burstnibbler or some Data Becker software, so forget about your intro-linking stuff.
2008-01-04 14:00
Tim
Account closed

Rough.. sorry bout responding somewhat confusing.. i certainly recognise those (de-protected tools) as real cracks!

I guess I am just frustrated about all the consequences scene/non-scene causes in uploading and worried to see intro-linking of tools a new way of 'cracking in 2008' just to get stuff to the database.

That and a bit of 3am insomnia sarcasm ;) i'll try not to do that anymore.. hehe

2011-04-11 18:29
Rough
Account closed

Quoting Bordeaux
I guess I am just frustrated about all the consequences scene/non-scene causes in uploading and worried to see intro-linking of tools a new way of 'cracking in 2008' just to get stuff to the database.

An old thread re-opened just to remind people to distinguish between cracked commercial tools and tools coded by sceners.

@Bordeaux: Of course it's not my purpose to open up a new wave of intro-linked tools.
Previous - 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 - Next
RefreshSubscribe to this thread:

You need to be logged in to post in the forum.

Search the forum:
Search   for   in  
All times are CET.
Search CSDb
Advanced
Users Online
LMan
Jazzcat/Onslaught
JackAsser/Booze Design
TheRyk/MYD!
Guests online: 131
Top Demos