Log inRegister an accountBrowse CSDbHelp & documentationFacts & StatisticsThe forumsAvailable RSS-feeds on CSDbSupport CSDb Commodore 64 Scene Database
You are not logged in - nap
CSDb User Forums

Forums > CSDb Discussions > Demo of the Year
2003-08-25 13:08
Eyeth
Account closed

Demo of the Year

Hello.

I'm surprised this idea hasn't been floated around. In the past two years, we have had C64.SK and CSDb ramping up with up to date information on demo releases throughout the year.

Why not have a Demo of the Year voting in Jan. 2004 for demos that were released throughout 2003? Thanks to C64.SK, we know whose demo entries won various competitions, which ones were released, etc. Why not compile a list of demos that won their respective demo party/competition, plus maybe an open invitation to a demo or two to round up the list?

CSDb or some other forum could then host the list and have a voting function for the C64 demo scene in choosing the Demo of the Year 2003. This would be a nice honor and one that is finally made possible thanks to reliable sources like CSDb and C64.SK. I'd like to write about the winning demo entry in a printed Commodore publication as well. :)

Any thoughts? Ideas?

Enjoy.
-Todd Elliott
2003-08-25 20:04
Intensity
Account closed

I like the idea, especially the thought to write an article about the winning demo. I'd support this.

.: Intensity :.
2003-08-26 05:50
Nightlord

good idea i think...
2003-08-26 07:27
Dwangi

I also support the idea!
2003-08-26 12:37
Mihai

Maybe we can even organize the C64 Scene Awards :)
2003-08-26 14:45
LordNikon

Hehe! Thats cool! Nice idea!
2003-08-26 16:44
Steppe

Yup, me like this.
2003-10-30 03:20
Eyeth
Account closed

Hello.

I've went through the first eight months' worth of news at C64.SK, scanning for winning demo entries for possible inclusion for the Demo of the Year voting.

Surprisingly, there are 17 demo entries now being considered for this voting chart. I didn't realize there was a lot of activity going on at these C64 and scene parties.

I still have four more months to go. I think it is inevitable that I will have at least 25 demo entries. I think it would be tad too much for the voting chart? Would the sheer number of entries turn off people from voting?

My main criteria was that I picked one demo that won their respective competition. If a particular party had more than five demo entries, I would pick the second winning demo entry, due to heavy competition. Now, how do I trim down this list, removing some winning demo entries? There were some 4K compos, should I remove the winning demo entries for consideration of the Demo of the Year voting chart?

I'll see to it in four months and hopefully I'll have worked out a reasonable voting chart.

Enjoy.
-Todd Elliott
2003-10-30 06:25
Dwangi

Wait, wait wait... at first Todd this idea is great, but you want to do it serious, then you cant do it with your criteria?

Choosing 17 WINNING demos is NO good idea. I mean take a compo like floppy 2003, that compo had IMO atleast 4 great demos which surely belong to top 17demos this year. And there were some compos which had only crap entries which shouldnt be included at all.

And your criteria will not be fair either, take for example Vision 2003, many ppl who didnt attend vision 2003 wanted cosine to win the compo but they only placed 3rd in that compo.

4k-demos should not be in the category "best demo of the year" skip that ... EE2E by Krill/Plush is and will be the best 4K demo for 2003.

No Todd, this should not be preselected, every one should be able to vote for an entry, and then it's up to you to compile the results.

2003-10-30 07:35
Puterman
Account closed

I don't really like the idea of someone picking candidates. Let people vote for whatever demos they want to vote for. And _if_ candidates are picked by someone, that someone should be person who knows a bit about demos. Give Dwangi a place in the jury! :-)
2003-10-30 12:50
Merman

Maybe we can turn the criteria around? Pick 12 people who CREATED compo-winning demos in 2003, and then let them decide from ALL the entries which is the best.
2003-10-30 14:11
CreaMD

Surprisingly neat idea. I like it ;-)
2003-10-30 14:46
Eyeth
Account closed

Quote: Maybe we can turn the criteria around? Pick 12 people who CREATED compo-winning demos in 2003, and then let them decide from ALL the entries which is the best.

Hello.

This is an interesting idea. However, I'd like to give the C64 demo scene audience a chance to vote on the releases.

Maybe I can have my cake and eat it, too; Why not combine both ideas?

I could empanel a group of people who have created compo-winning demos in 2003. This panel would then whittle down the Demo of the Year 2003 voting chart to ten or fifteen worthwhile entries. The panel would be free to choose any demo released in 2003 in making up the voting chart.

With the editorial part of the panel selection done, CSDb could then present this Demo of the Year 2003 voting chart for the C64 demo scene audience for the final tally.

How does that sound? :) Problem is, anyone volunteering? :) I would need maybe 10-15 people for the editorial panel, and these people would have to be involved in a 2003 winning demo production. Then, there's the problem of the panel coming to a consensus in drafting up the voting chart.

I could do this myself; I make snap decisions and can quickly come up with a voting chart. But that will mean I probably will leave off worthwhile 2003 demos and leave myself open to heavy criticism. A panel definitely can easily come up with a far better voting chart than I could ever do on my own, but I don't know if they can produce a voting chart ready for January-February 2004 voting by the C64 demo scene audience.

Enjoy.
-Todd Elliott
2003-10-30 15:00
Merman

Quote: Surprisingly neat idea. I like it ;-)

Thanks! It was partly inspired by the "jury" voting for the SID Compo III. Who better to pick a shortlist than the people who know what they are talking about?

@Eyeth:
You know I am willing to help you with editorial/articles if you need it!
2003-10-30 19:49
hollowman

why not let people vote for any demo they liked best? why this desperation for nominees?

-more than two candidates for president?! mommy, i'm scared!
2003-10-30 21:47
TDJ

Would be interesting to see the results of this one compared to the "Dark Court 2003 special" I'm planning to do ..
2003-10-30 23:43
T.M.R
Account closed

Oh come on TDJ, we already know that nobody agrees with you! [grins and runs =-]
2003-10-31 08:36
TDJ

Quote: Oh come on TDJ, we already know that nobody agrees with you! [grins and runs =-]

That's what I'm hoping for, yes.
2003-10-31 09:07
CreaMD

Provocateur ;-)
2003-10-31 09:58
hollowman

what provocative opinion which noone will agree on is it that tdj has up his sleeve? that there were some great demos released in 2003 ?
2003-10-31 10:25
Turtle
Account closed

Attention: loosing the thread is imminent!!
2003-10-31 10:43
Turtle
Account closed

Don't become trapped in endless discussions. Keep it simple and see how it works.

BTW: All real scene interested people know every release (at least those posted on c64.sk!) and shouldn't be too exhausted after watching them again. You know, it's not the 90's with tons of releases not worth looking at.
2003-10-31 11:05
CreaMD

Especially when all download links will be provided.

2003-10-31 15:24
T.M.R
Account closed

Quote: Attention: loosing the thread is imminent!!

Speak for yourself, i lost the plot years ago!
2003-10-31 15:33
TDJ

Quote: Speak for yourself, i lost the plot years ago!

Cool, next step: your virginity.
2003-10-31 19:35
T.M.R
Account closed

Quote: Cool, next step: your virginity.

Ooh, cheap shot darling... =-)
2004-02-10 17:52
Eyeth
Account closed

Hello.

I have released the following blurb;
For the first time, the C64 community has a chance to select a C64 Demo that is worthy for the ultimate recognition: Demo of the Year. Come up on and vote for the C64 Demo of the 2003 Year! Check out the voting chart at:

http://noname.c64.org/csdb/demooftheyear/

Enjoy.

Replies, comments, criticism, etc. are encouraged here in this forum. :) For what it's worth, the voting chart is 11 demos too long. I liked to have a nice figure of 10 demos for the voting chart, but there were a lot of competitions running around during 2003 year. Goes to show there's plenty of activity running in the C64 demoscene!

Also, I wanted to include a wildcard demo entry, but I decided against it, due to the amount of the demos already on the voting chart. My wildcard entry was intended to allow a NTSC demo to 'sneak' into the voting chart. But, there wasn't really a noteworthy NTSC release during 2003. There were two noteworthy C64 demos that could have landed on the voting chart via the wildcard route, though. They are 'Singles Collection, Vol. 2' by Cosine and 'Phases' by Crest.

Looking forward to continued discussions here. More importantly, I look forward to the final voting tally and announcing the C64 Demo of the 2003 Year here!

Enjoy.
-Todd Elliott
2004-02-13 06:44
Dwangi

Ok nice idea but hey...

01010101 (or whatever the name is) by creators (?) .. i dont know , but i cant find it anywhere, the same goes for that demo by TRSI from willowparty.... are they really released or is it just me who is stupid as always??

i dont think you should include 4k:s in that chart... bigbud - yes i coded it, but seriously there were atleast 3 4k:s at breakpoint which make bigbud look like a pile of shit from richard bayliss pants. So as coder of it i say "remove it".

sorry 4 bad english .... but hope you understand.

2004-02-15 04:34
Eyeth
Account closed

Hello, Dwangi-

I have removed Bigbud from the 2003 C64 Demo of the Year Voting Chart. It did not receive any votes.

Enjoy.
-Todd Elliott
2004-02-15 14:53
Ninja

Please remove also "True Story about Knoops". It was just a fun production...
2004-02-15 15:58
Eyeth
Account closed

Quote: Please remove also "True Story about Knoops". It was just a fun production...

Hello, Ninja/The Dreams-

Your demo has three votes logged, so I'm not removing it.

Secondly, with 100 votes I'm hoping to garner, this is a fun exercise. It is by no means definitive. Why did you enter it in a compo? You wanted your demo creation to compete with other demos, before a captive audience. Otherwise, it could have been a straight release on the Internet. Why not have your demo undergo a second type of competition, this time, for a Demo of the Year?

Also, having this kind of exposure gives your demo a second wind of getting more of an audience towards your demo creation. Obviously, three people thought enough of your production to vote for it. Not bad for what you call a 'fun production'. I think it is very nice to have C64 demos the chance of garnering additional recognition via avenues such as this Demo of the Year endeavor.

I realize the voting chart isn't perfect. 47 people have participated so far, and some demos have not even had any votes. Dwangi felt his demo wasn't 'worthy' and it did not get a vote. I disagree with Dwangi, as he did enter a C64 demo competition and subjected his C64 demo to rigor of competition and won. However, I will defer to his wishes as an author and since it had no votes, it was easier to remove it.

Hopefully with this small and fun exercise as a beginning, the C64 Demo of the Year Voting Chart can only get better as the years progresses. Or fall with a thud. I can only hope that this voting endeavor will become a strong tradition within the C64 demo production industry, hotly contested through local parties and on the Internet. We'll see when the results come out on April Fools' Day. :)

Enjoy!
-Todd Elliott
2004-02-15 16:57
hollowman

if you want to give demos a second chance to
have an audience, why only include demos
from compos, they most probably already had
an audience?
my favoruite from 2003 was the set up/triad,
but it wasnt in a competition, candy/triad
would be my second choise as demo of the year,
it was in the christmas competition but isnt
included here.
next time i'd like a demo of the year voting
where you get to vote for the demos released
during the year, not demo of the year-which
was released in a compo-and achieved a decent
place
2004-02-15 17:07
CreaMD

Quote: if you want to give demos a second chance to
have an audience, why only include demos
from compos, they most probably already had
an audience?
my favoruite from 2003 was the set up/triad,
but it wasnt in a competition, candy/triad
would be my second choise as demo of the year,
it was in the christmas competition but isnt
included here.
next time i'd like a demo of the year voting
place

"next time i'd like a demo of the year voting
place"

Yes me too. putting only 1st placers is not a good idea.
2004-02-15 20:58
Eyeth
Account closed

Hello.

Thank you for your feedback! Out of curiosity, I tried the Advanced search functions of CSDb and it is quite impressive. Here's what I did;

You searched for:
Releases matching:
Released between: 1 January 2003 and 31 December 2003
Release type: C64 Demo, C64 One-File Demo, C64 Intro, C64 4K Intro, C64 Cracktro, C64 Dentro, C128 Release, SuperCPU Release

Found: 116 matches.

So, approximately 110-120 C64 Demos were released during the 2003 year. Strangely enough, Set-Up by Triad wasn't in the list?

Anyway, I think it is a little bit unrealistic to put all 120 demos onto a Voting Chart. It's like a purebreed dog show; the Westminister Kennel Club just finished their national show a few days ago. Thousands of dogs have entered the competition, but they did so in local and regional competitions. In turn, many show-quality purebreeds were eliminated, leaving only truly the top show stoppers strutting their stuff in Westminister.

In a way, the same rationale applies; there are numerous C64 demos released throughout the year. Many of them have entered competitions and that is very admirable! In turn, many C64 demo endeavors were eliminated, leaving only a tiny sliver of geniune quality C64 demos. In this case, 21 C64 demos were still standing, a mere 17% of the total of 120 C64 demos released in 2003. It is then that these 21 (now, 20) demos have a chance to truly measure against themselves for the top recognition of being the 2003 C64 demo of the year.

I know about the 2003 XMas C64 Demo competition, but the winner hasn't been announced yet? If so, I would have added the winning entry to the voting chart.

Secondly, by somewhat recognizing the important role that local C64 demo competitions play a part in encouraging C64 demo creations, I think it's good to allow the compo winners a spot on the voting chart. That's the theory, and I'm sticking to it. :)

However, in actual practice so far, that really hasn't panned out. Several C64 demo competition 'winners' have not have had any votes recorded in their favor. Also, some decent C64 demo productions were released outright on the Internet and they were not included in the voting chart.

Perhaps a small panel, say, five people, could be a review board for creating the voting chart for 2004 C64 Demo of the Year. I did briefly explore the possibility of empaneling a few people for this 2003 voting chart, but I only received lukewarm responses and I felt I didn't have enough time to work with other people in hashing out a suitable 2003 C64 Demo of the Year chart.

Enjoy!
-Todd Elliott
2004-02-15 21:55
Puterman
Account closed

Eyeth: the fact that you can't find a demo doesn't mean it wasn't released, right?

I don't mind some kind of pre-selection, but please admit that the way it was done this time sucks. I don't know about the Westminister Kennel Club, but I kind of suspect that the judges in those compos have some kind of knowledge about dogs. If they were demo judges, they wouldn't have let Pero by Singular reach the finals, because the fact that a small one-part demo put together for fun in a couple of hours at a party happens to be the only one released doesn't automatically make it one of the 20 best demos of the year.
2004-02-16 06:18
Dwangi

eyeth: thank you.... yes bigbud won , but in a 4K compo, it would not have had a chanse in a normal demo compo, thats why i wanted it removed...

anyway the pre-selection is quite good anyway, but yes "set-up" and "candy" from triad and maybe we/lazer should have been there.

O.k i voted like this 1.chillot 2.loaded 3.fallout
2004-04-05 02:05
Eyeth
Account closed

Hello.

The C64 Demo of the Year 2003 Voting Chart is essentially over. Ironically, 64 people participated, making for a good turnout. Since I did not get 100 votes, the voting chart isn't definitive answer as to what is the 2003 C64 Demo of the Year.

Unfortunately, 14 participants 'abstained' from voting. An additional person only voted for 1st and 2nd place, but not 3rd place. Here is your second opportunity! Please check out the Voting Chart and vote for the C64 Demo of the Year 2003.

As it stands now, Industrial Breakdown and Loaded are within 10 points of each other for 1st place. (No, I won't tell yet who's in first!) There is a tie for 3rd place, shared by Emanation Machine and Fallout. Come on abstainers and vote! Break up the logjam at 3rd place and see if there can be any heat for the 1st place!

The rogue's gallery :) of abstainers are:
Bert/RDS
Cyberbrain
Dalezy
Derision
Graham
Icon
Map
Alias Medron
Randall
Raven
Shokray
Vai
xIII
Slator (Voted for 1st & 2nd, but not 3rd)

I hope to report back in a few days, hopefully tabulating more voting activity and announcing a final winning slate of 1st, 2nd and 3rd winning C64 demo entries!

Enjoy!
-Todd Elliott
2004-04-05 14:37
blackdroid
Account closed

The demo (insomnia) with most votes on csdb has 68 votes, now to be fair you cant really expect much more for the poll, or ? :)
2004-04-05 15:51
CyberBrain
Administrator

ok, now i voted too. This means i can go back to boozing?
2004-04-05 16:53
blackdroid
Account closed

No we need you for this "movie" production.
2004-04-05 19:35
CyberBrain
Administrator

I like the sound of that.. Guess i can stop drinking for a few hours just to be in that "movie"
2004-04-10 14:29
Eyeth
Account closed

Hello.

Thanks to last minute voting activity, the 2003 C64 Demo of the Year is completed! A total of 64 people participated in this voting chart activity, making it unofficial and not definitive. There are a lot of good quality demos released throughout the 2003 year, making for a close ballotting.

I'd like to give thanks to Perff and Noname crew for hosting the voting chart! Without further ado, here's the top five:

1) Industrial Breakdown by Booze Design - 72 points
18 1st place, 7 2nd place & 4 3rd place votes
2) Loaded by Fairlight- 62 points
9 1st place, 14 2nd place & 7 3rd place votes
3) Fall-Out by Smash Designs - 31 points
4 1st place, 6 2nd place & 7 3rd place votes
4) Emanation Machine by Fairlight - 28 points
4 1st place, 4 2nd place & 8 3rd place votes
5) Beertime III by Dekadence - 22 points
3 1st place, 3 2nd place & 7 3rd place votes

4 demo entries on the voting chart did not receive any votes, unfortunately. They are:

00101010 by Creators
Galowarm by TRSI
Pero by Singular
Rasta by Creators

All other demo entries have received votes. Thanks to the discussions in this forum, voter activity and the strength/quality of C64 demos, I will strive to make for a better voting experience in future C64 Demo of the Year competitions. Anyone up for Cycle by Booze Design as the 'winner' of the 2004 C64 Demo of the Year? :)

Many thanks to all people who have contributed and created these fine C64 demos throughout the 2003 year. It has been a good year and I look forward to many more of the same, receiving a lot of good CBM demos!

Enjoy.
-Todd Elliott
2005-03-25 06:27
Eyeth
Account closed

Hello, it's me again. :)

I would like to set up another voting chart, for the 2004 C64 Demo of the Year. However, I'd like to name ten entries and not necessarily name compo winners like I did the first time around.

So, I'm looking for some editorial guidance and assistance in fleshing out the voting chart. I have already decided that 'Cycle' will be in the chart, but what else? I'll try to investigate 2004 demos myself and try to fill it out the best I can, anyway.

Thanks in advance for whatever ideas, suggestions, etc. you may float this way!

Enjoy.
-Todd Elliott
2005-03-25 06:35
Eyeth
Account closed

Hello.

Hate to follow up on my own posting. :) I wonder if there is a 'sponsoring' diskmag or papermag for the 2004 C64 Demo of the Year and perhaps sharing of some editorial duties? I originally did the 2003 C64 Demo of the Year for the UCUGA Digest, a C64 paper newsletter, but that publication is no longer around.

Thanks,
-Todd Elliott
2005-03-25 08:48
TDJ

Quote: Hello, it's me again. :)

I would like to set up another voting chart, for the 2004 C64 Demo of the Year. However, I'd like to name ten entries and not necessarily name compo winners like I did the first time around.

So, I'm looking for some editorial guidance and assistance in fleshing out the voting chart. I have already decided that 'Cycle' will be in the chart, but what else? I'll try to investigate 2004 demos myself and try to fill it out the best I can, anyway.

Thanks in advance for whatever ideas, suggestions, etc. you may float this way!

Enjoy.
-Todd Elliott

I'm already working on something similair - The Dark Court 2004 special. Ofcourse that one isn't open for other people's opinions, so I'm kinda curious to see how much the total results will differ.

I can tell you this though: for me there are only so-called 'GEMs' (let's say scoring 8 or higher) in 2004. It was not a good year.
2005-03-25 17:45
Nightlord

my humble suggestions for other nominees:
plastic kiss
wok zombie
brief bursts of happiness
yktr
yktr2
darwin

i can't even suggest any other demo
2005-03-25 18:17
hollowman

i'd like to add: borderline,we control,kymmene
2005-03-25 18:21
TDJ

Darwin? For real?

Still missing 2 of my top 5.

Edit: and only now I notice that I didn't say there were just 5 gems ..
2005-03-25 19:29
Eyeth
Account closed

Hello.

Thank you for chiming in with some suggestions! I remember viewing Brief Bursts of Happiness and liking it, so it stands a good chance for inclusion into the chart.

One NTSC demo I liked very much and probably would include in the voting chart is Geotrope Preview just to have a representative NTSC C64 demo. I can't believe Onslaught would ever release a 'crack' of that particular program. What's there to crack, anyway? It's a free preview! :)

Enjoy.
-Todd Elliott
2005-04-10 17:28
Eyeth
Account closed

Hello.

Just wanted to give a short summary so far; Using CSDb's search function, I was able to get a list of 112 C64 demos that were released during the 2004 year and have already gone through 62 of those demos. It's a tedious job, but somebody's gotta do it! :)

As expected, a lot of demos were entertaining, some couldn't pass muster, and some were downright offensive. You just never know what you'll be getting when you view these demos. Anyway, I've come up with a preliminary list of demos that I will give a second look. After the second/third check-out, the top ten demos for the Voting Chart will then be ready. Here it is:

Antique Parts
Bar4Kode
Bonfire
Borderline
Cycle
Darwin
Demode
Dialogue
Entropy
Execute Overdrive
Flut
Goa Brudbilder 1
Intro 37
We Control
Wok Zombie
You Know the Routine
You Know the Routine 2

I know its a lot of entries, and the preliminary second watch list will be winnowed further. I do have one question about this release: Goa Brudbilder 1. I have never seen a demo like this before and looks quite innovative. But, due to only three comments and a low vote, this demo seems to be overlooked by the C64 demoscene viewing audience. But, I wonder if this demo should have a place on the Voting Chart, just because it was innovative?

Also, I have found the 'goatse.cx' of all C64 demos: Haeilyvae kaesite My eyeballs now have been seared and it will take me time just to heal! :( Please, how about a little bit warning in the 'Detailed Info' summary for us folks with a weaker constitution? There were some other C64 demos that were just as bad and I'd rather forget about them all.

Will keep the forums posted about the latest list and the further winnowing. If you want to 'nudge' a demo listed here for a bit more attention for possible inclusion into the Voting Chart, feel free to do so here.

-Todd Elliott
2005-04-11 08:47
Dwangi

Plz, remover bar4code, bonfire and intro 37.... the first 2 ones a 4k-demos and shouldnt be compared with demos. intro 37 is a re-release of a VN-intro?
2005-04-11 08:50
Dwangi

And plz add postcards from stockholm by fairlight, bordeline by triad (lcp releases, seems like you forgot about lcp party) and plz add kymmene by aspekt too..... (5th att assembly oldskool compo).
2005-04-11 09:00
Dwangi

I also would like to see REAL by RSC+THE DREAMS and Phanta rhei by oxy+plush+jack asser
2005-04-11 10:50
hollowman

intro 37 shouldnt be on the list, since it was released as intro to vandalism#37 in 2002
2005-04-11 12:31
Cruzer

primary scar/wwe Primary Scar
kymmene/aspekt Kymmene
2005-04-11 15:14
Cruzer

hammarkullen/afrika was pretty cool too
Hammarkullen
2005-04-11 16:03
TDJ

Eh .. why bother mentioning all those demos that don't stand a chance of winning anyway? Scraping the bottom a bit, aren't we?

(And yes, that includes 'my own' Primary Scar)
2005-04-12 04:48
Eyeth
Account closed

Hello.

Hate to throw cold water on this discussion, but the TDJ is correct. Basically, what I'm doing now is going through all 111 C64 demos that were released during the 2004 year according to the Search function at CSDb.

A lot of them, as you can imagine, don't pass muster. However, there are some C64 demos that do show some hint of promise, so I put them on a 'second' list. This is what I'm doing now; I have thirty more C64 demos to go through before I arrive at the second list.

From this second list, I watch all C64 demos again and make more careful analysis, viewing, judging, etc. At this stage, I will eliminate more C64 demo entries, most likely those demos that TDJ alluded to, 'scraping' the bottom of the barrel. Hopefully by the time I'm done, I will have ten such entries for the 2004 C64 Demo of the Year voting chart.

Enjoy!
-Todd Elliott
2005-04-12 05:20
Jazzcat

Eyeth: A bit late in replying, but in regards to that preview. It was a release. Just like anything else thats half decent, we will release it. :)

Real cracking died ages ago, because software developers are too lazy or don't have the knowledge to insert proper protections. Can't blame the crackers on that.
2005-04-12 15:40
MagerValp

I don't see why Postcards from Stockholm and UltraGUI wouldn't be on the "primary" list. They both ranked better at LCP than two other entries on your list (Borderline and HT's Goa Brudbilder).
2005-04-12 16:17
H.O
Account closed

Quote: I don't see why Postcards from Stockholm and UltraGUI wouldn't be on the "primary" list. They both ranked better at LCP than two other entries on your list (Borderline and HT's Goa Brudbilder).

Besides, "Postcards from Stockholm" is a damned cool demo. The highlight from LCP (IMO, and the usual disclaimers)
2005-04-17 16:12
Eyeth
Account closed

Hello.

I finally went through all 111 C64 demos! Whew! My second list now has added the following C64 demos (To the ones already listed earlier.):

Kymmene
Nomen Nescio
Plastic Kiss
Postcards from Stockholm
Primary Scar
Real
The Return of Darkness
Timewarp
TUMo8: The Better Party
Ultragui

That makes for a total of 29 C64 Demos worthy of a second review. :) Now, the bad part is that I gotta eliminate 19 of them from consideration.

I hope to have the final top ten list soon for the 2004 C64 Demo of the Year Voting Chart.

Enjoy.
-Todd Elliott
2005-04-17 16:17
Eyeth
Account closed

Quote: I also would like to see REAL by RSC+THE DREAMS and Phanta rhei by oxy+plush+jack asser

Hello.

I did view Panta Rhei, but found it confusing and poorly executed. The hidden parts, IMHO, should have been left out, or put in a seperate demo. For example, I used winVICE and the hidden parts popped out first!. I turned on true drive emulation and got the first real part, only to have it lock up. I turned off all other drives except device #8, and finally got it running. But, it only lasted for a while before the hidden parts came up.

Enjoy.
-Todd Elliott
2005-04-17 16:21
Eyeth
Account closed

Quote: hammarkullen/afrika was pretty cool too
Hammarkullen

Hello.

I did view Hammarkullen, and found it impressive. However, it is considered as a 'fake demo', and I decided against including it in the voting chart. If someone/group puts in quite an effort, as it happened in Hammarkullen, then they should stand by their work and release it under their label.

Enjoy.
-Todd Elliott
2005-04-17 16:25
TDJ

Todd, with all due respect: you shouldn't disqualify a demo because it doesn't run correctly under an emulator - watch it on the real thing, or refrain from passing judgement. Panta Rhei is much better than most of the demos you have selected, and the fact that you don't take it up in your longlist makes you look rather weak as a demo reviewer.
2005-04-17 17:56
Graham
Account closed

If someone is too stupid to use true drive emulation i can't help it.
2005-04-17 18:30
Dane
Account closed

Quote: Todd, with all due respect: you shouldn't disqualify a demo because it doesn't run correctly under an emulator - watch it on the real thing, or refrain from passing judgement. Panta Rhei is much better than most of the demos you have selected, and the fact that you don't take it up in your longlist makes you look rather weak as a demo reviewer.

So this list will not be about demo of the year then, but instead demo group of the year? I don't get it.
2005-04-17 19:09
Eyeth
Account closed

Hello.

I just viewed Panta Rhei again. This time, I used 1541 (not 1541-II) and enabled true drive emulation throughout. The C64 demo finally worked and I can see that it's nicely done. It was nice to see a new twist on rotating objects that looks like they have 'plasma' textures.

I will add it to my second review list, making for a nice round figure of 30 demos. :) But, Panta Rhei has a long way to go, as it seems to be like a 'one trick pony' where it only has one cool effect. Again, I will review this demo and compare it with other 29 entries in the list and maybe it'll pass muster.

Enjoy!
-Todd Elliott
2005-04-17 19:37
Graham
Account closed

Drive type does not matter. I suspect that it didn't work because you started it via Vice autostart which disables true drive emulation. You cannot expect a demo using the drive cpu to work with that...
2005-04-17 20:21
Puterman
Account closed

Eyeth, we've discussed this before, and it's obvious that not everyone's faves are going to be among the ten demos you select. So if it's absolutely impossible to include all serious/half-serious demos, keep at least the 30 you've selected so far.

And saying that Panta Rhei only has one good effect just proves that you don't know what you're talking about.

I'm sorry if that sounded harsh, but really, it's pretty annoying when people judge things that they don't know anything about.
2005-04-17 23:36
SIDWAVE
Account closed

Quote: Hello.

I did view Hammarkullen, and found it impressive. However, it is considered as a 'fake demo', and I decided against including it in the voting chart. If someone/group puts in quite an effort, as it happened in Hammarkullen, then they should stand by their work and release it under their label.

Enjoy.
-Todd Elliott

I dont agree.

A demo is a demo, and if someone thinks its good, chances are that other think the same about it.
2005-04-18 07:07
HCL

I just can't keep shut. Panta Rhei has about one cool effect in each part, that's how i count it. If that's not enough i'm outa'ere.
2005-04-18 08:24
Trash

Why bother to nominate?

List all demos frpm 2004 and give the people two chances to vote on them, first time with all demos included second time with the top five from the first run. All demos from 2004 will then stand the same chance of both being nominated and being voted as "Demo of the year"...
2005-04-18 08:32
T.M.R
Account closed

Quote: I just can't keep shut. Panta Rhei has about one cool effect in each part, that's how i count it. If that's not enough i'm outa'ere.

[Points at HCL] what he said. =-)
2005-04-18 10:47
Nightlord

panta rhei is an excellent and technically killer demo. i can't believe i forgot to suggest that myself in my post (some 20-30 posts ago).

there will be a total of maximum 100 votes in this again. so why not let all 111 or so demos be voted in a two rounds system. first run a first level vote with all demos for a week. then run a second round of voting with the top 10 from 1st round. and you are done.

with all due respect eyeth, i really think you shouldn't be the one to preselect the candidates by yourself after your pantarhei comments... sorry
2005-04-18 14:40
Eyeth
Account closed

Quote: Why bother to nominate?

List all demos frpm 2004 and give the people two chances to vote on them, first time with all demos included second time with the top five from the first run. All demos from 2004 will then stand the same chance of both being nominated and being voted as "Demo of the year"...

Hello.

The idea sounds pretty good! But, I wonder, if it is workable in actual voting conditions? Presenting the entire list of 100+ demos in a voting chart tends to lessen participation. The 2003 C64 Demo of the Year ballotting only had 64 votes, which IMHO, wasn't enough. This year, I hope to aim a little bit higher, like 100+ votes.

However, I will see if an initial voting chart of 100 2004 C64 demo entries can be presented as a 'prescreening' chart. Participants can choose up to five C64 demo entries for inclusion into the final top ten Voting Chart for the 2004 C64 Demo of the Year.

This would mean that 11 entries would be excluded, presumably the really bad ones. :) (e.g., goatse C64 demo, phallic C64 demos, BASIC demos, etc.) I figure, if people are going to strenously defend C64 demos that are considered being excluded, i.e., Panta Rhei, I don't think there'll be defenders for the bottom of the barrel C64 demos being excluded. :)

That way, even with as little as ten participants in the prescreening round, the 2004 C64 Demo of the Year Voting Chart will have a representative selection suitable enough to attract more wider voting of 100+ votes. (I hope!)

In the meantime, I will still construct my 2004 C64 Demo of the Year Voting Chart, and arrive at ten worthy 2004 C64 demos. If nothing else, if the prescreening process fails, this chart will be used. And yes, of course, if everything in prescreening works out very well, I'll still post my 'chart' on this forum, just to generate considerable discussion and enjoy singeing flaming at my direction. :)

About Panta Rhei, keep in mind that it will be compared to other C64 demos in this second list. It is admirable to see people defend this demo on its pure technical merits and I appreciate the criticism. However, there are just several other C64 demos that are as equally as worthy and may be better.

Ultimately, the voting audience may consider otherwise. :) This audience consists of a myraid of people, coding skills, demo knowledge, personal taste, etc. and may bring forth inconsistent results as to what makes a C64 Demo truly worthy of the C64 Demo of the Year honors.

Thanks for participating in the discussion!

Enjoy.
-Todd Elliott
2005-04-19 07:03
HCL

Shut up! and give us the list. ;)))
2005-04-20 23:28
Eyeth
Account closed

Hello.

Ask, and ye shall receive! :) Mosey onto the pre-screening round at:

Enjoy!
-Todd Elliott
2005-04-21 06:35
iopop

I must be blind, but I cant find Resurrection/WWE in that list.
2005-04-21 07:36
TDJ

Quote: I must be blind, but I cant find Resurrection/WWE in that list.

I guess expert Todd didn't think it was worthy?
2005-04-21 07:42
hollowman

it probably fell into the same category as the goatse demo
2005-04-21 13:59
Eyeth
Account closed

Hello.

Resurrection has been added to the list, making the voting chart at 99 C64 demos. :) IMHO, I think the vector scroll will somehow limit its chances of it being included in the final Voting Chart.

What was the scroller about? It took me a full minute or so to realize the vectors playing in the window was actually a scroller!

On a more pleasant note, people are participating in the pre-screening process! I may yet still reach the 100+ votes target! Thanks goes out to all who participated so far in voting and in the forum.

Enjoy!
-Todd Elliott
2005-04-21 17:24
TDJ

Resurrection has been added to the list, making the voting chart at 99 C64 demos. :) IMHO, I think the vector scroll will somehow limit its chances of it being included in the final Voting Chart.

What was the scroller about? It took me a full minute or so to realize the vectors playing in the window was actually a scroller!

On a more pleasant note, people are participating in the pre-screening process! I may yet still reach the 100+ votes target! Thanks goes out to all who participated so far in voting and in the forum.

Enjoy!
-Todd Elliott

The scroller was about the irony of people having no clue what a demo actually is organizing a compo like this ;)

I'll give you a hint: sometimes design counts, too.
2005-04-21 18:17
Trash
Account closed

I have one little suggestion. Demo of the Year page with direct download links to each demo would be just fine.
2005-04-21 18:54
Trash

Quote: I have one little suggestion. Demo of the Year page with direct download links to each demo would be just fine.

Like the suggestion but love the handle :-)
2005-04-21 19:17
Tch
Account closed

Quote: I have one little suggestion. Demo of the Year page with direct download links to each demo would be just fine.

Hmm,why not have one (temporary) download with all the demos?
I think I have a lot of catching up to do.. ;)
2005-04-21 19:48
Trash
Account closed

Quote: Like the suggestion but love the handle :-)

Just changed it here at csdb but with no obvious results :(. Cheers then ;).
2005-04-21 20:33
Eyeth
Account closed

Hello.
Quoting TDJ
The scroller was about the irony of people having no clue what a demo actually is organizing a compo like this ;)

Well, since I couldn't read the scroller, I'll take your word for it. Subtle sarcasm sure helps drive home the point. :) I'm sure you can do a better job doing this kind of thing; I think you've just volunteered yourself to do the 2005 C64 Demo of the Year honors! :)

Anyway, enough barbs aside... Onwards to ballotting! So far, a good start!

Enjoy.
-Todd Elliott
2005-04-21 20:51
TDJ

Quoting TDJ

Well, since I couldn't read the scroller, I'll take your word for it. Subtle sarcasm sure helps drive home the point. :) I'm sure you can do a better job doing this kind of thing; I think you've just volunteered yourself to do the 2005 C64 Demo of the Year honors! :)

Anyway, enough barbs aside... Onwards to ballotting! So far, a good start!

Enjoy.
-Todd Elliott

Feh. I think I've proven myself more than enough, both as an active (coder) and a passive (reviewer) part of the demo scene. But yes, I could do a much better job, because at least I know a decent demo when I see one ;)

Edit: but what the hell, gotta give credit where credit is due: at least you're trying.
2005-04-21 21:18
viper
Account closed

Quote: Feh. I think I've proven myself more than enough, both as an active (coder) and a passive (reviewer) part of the demo scene. But yes, I could do a much better job, because at least I know a decent demo when I see one ;)

Edit: but what the hell, gotta give credit where credit is due: at least you're trying.

Can you put all stuff from 2004 into one archive with selected categories (4kb intros, demos...)?
2005-04-21 21:24
TDJ

Quote: Can you put all stuff from 2004 into one archive with selected categories (4kb intros, demos...)?

Can you?
2005-04-21 21:38
Eyeth
Account closed

Hello.

For those that are asking about d/l links, I don't know about that. It might be asking too much from Perff into coding such a feature onto the voting chart.

As for greating a giant 2004 C64 Demo archive, the idea sounds great! But, after having gone through 100+ demos in a short span of few days, this is a big task! Often times, demos came in .d64's that had 'customized' directories. Then it gotta be sorted out according to 4K intro, dentro, etc. Sorry, but I'm not volunteering. :(

When you do click on a demo name in the voting chart, a seperate window pops up. Taking a gander in the screenshot usually tells volumes about how good it is, whether it is 'download-worthy', etc. The user comments are also very revealing. All of this information should help in determining your picks for the pre-screening process.

Enjoy.
-Todd Elliott
2005-04-21 21:57
Tch
Account closed

For those that are asking about d/l links, I don't know about that. It might be asking too much from Perff into coding such a feature onto the voting chart.

As for greating a giant 2004 C64 Demo archive, the idea sounds great! But, after having gone through 100+ demos in a short span of few days, this is a big task! Often times, demos came in .d64's that had 'customized' directories. Then it gotta be sorted out according to 4K intro, dentro, etc. Sorry, but I'm not volunteering. :(

When you do click on a demo name in the voting chart, a seperate window pops up. Taking a gander in the screenshot usually tells volumes about how good it is, whether it is 'download-worthy', etc. The user comments are also very revealing. All of this information should help in determining your picks for the pre-screening process.

Enjoy.
-Todd Elliott

I won´t ask for that much.

It would be cool though to simply have 1 dl-link which contains all the demos.
Just put all entries in 1 zip-file.
I reckon you have all the demos,that is..

Thanx for doing this btw. 8)
Must be quite some work.
2005-04-21 22:40
Steppe

It was hard, it was tiresome and really pushed me to the limit - but I made it. I cast my vote. Like any responsible CSDB citizen should do. No, really, stop that applause! ;-)
2005-04-22 05:24
TDJ

Quote: It was hard, it was tiresome and really pushed me to the limit - but I made it. I cast my vote. Like any responsible CSDB citizen should do. No, really, stop that applause! ;-)

My hero (snif)
2005-04-22 08:37
Compyx

Where can I post a single zip-file with all demo's ?
I've downloaded all the demo's listed, extracted them from party-disks when necessary, I only have to check their names so they'll appear in the zip-file with the same names as in the list.

Any suggestions where/how I should post the file?
2005-04-22 09:03
Steppe

Why not create a (temporary) entry here? Name it "Demo of the Year 2004 release pack" or something like that, then upload it.
2005-04-22 19:22
Perff
Administrator

@Compyx: I guess the file you got is to big for normal upload here on CSDb. The limit is 1mb.
But you can mail the package to me (perff@c64scene.net), and I will put it up, and then a link can be made from the 'demo of the year'-page.

About the direct download link I can easily add the little disc-icon which can also be found on the list of releases at other places in CSDb. What do you say? :)
2005-04-22 19:52
Tch
Account closed

The one-file-zip would be the best,but every kind of help would be great!!
It will take long enough to watch ALL the demos.
There is no point in watching some and making up your mind.
2005-04-22 23:12
Wildstar

Quote: The one-file-zip would be the best,but every kind of help would be great!!
It will take long enough to watch ALL the demos.
There is no point in watching some and making up your mind.

Lets definitely keep this in mind for Demo of the Year 2005.

Anything that can make like easier. Format EVERY entry into a .d64. For the Top 100 list. Then next phase is the Final Round set. Eventually, we will have the coolest set.

Of course, we have to consider some things.

Anyway, I have NO idea as to how long each round of voting is, though.

It is cool to see all this.
2005-04-22 23:33
kurant
Account closed

Quote: @Compyx: I guess the file you got is to big for normal upload here on CSDb. The limit is 1mb.
But you can mail the package to me (perff@c64scene.net), and I will put it up, and then a link can be made from the 'demo of the year'-page.

About the direct download link I can easily add the little disc-icon which can also be found on the list of releases at other places in CSDb. What do you say? :)

Yes. Neat idea, indeed.
2005-04-23 08:13
TDJ

Jesus.

You all are a lazy bunch of motherfunkers. When I worked on my very own 'demo of the year' article about a month ago it took me only a few hours to download AND watch/rank all stuff. Ofcourse it helps that I already had seen almost all of the demos, but still: stop complaining, use a browser like firefox to get all the pages with demos from your searchview in a seperate tab and I will promise you that you have the complete list on your harddisk in less than 15 minutes.

Ofcourse I'm a lazy motherfunker myself as I still haven't actually WRITTEN the damn article but hey, I'm allowed to be lazy, I have a big mouth.

2005-05-06 03:37
Eyeth
Account closed

Hello, all!

The turnout was better than expected for the Pre-Screening round at 42 participants! Eight demos have already qualified for the final Voting Chart due to their numbers being equal to or higher than ten votes. They are:

Borderline
Brief Bursts of Happiness
Cycle
Demode
Dialogue
Panta Rhei
Wok Zombie
You Know the Routine 2

However, should the Voting Chart be left as is? I could add two more C64 demos to round out the top ten, but the nearest ones are:

Postcards from Stockholm, 9 votes
You Know the Routine, 8 votes
Don't meet Crest, 7 votes
Plastic Kiss, 6 votes

As for the rest of the lot, 42 C64 demos have garnered votes anywhere from 1 to 5 votes. They are:

Absolutely Hires, Antique Parts, Autumn Clouds, BSC, Bar4Kode, Bonfire, Brucelee-ish2k5, CTR+Tufs PartyScroller, Criminal, DMC Album #4, Darwin, Delighted, Entropy, Execute Overdrive, Fastcompo Primary Star 2004, Flashbak, Flut, Forever 5, Geotrope Preview, Goa Brudbilder, Halfway There, Hammarkullen, Intrology, Kymmene, Lost In Time, Nomen Nescio, Pi, Primary Colors, Primary Scar, Ps4partyscroller, Real, Resurrection, Rollo, Shattered, Szenzacios, Trwam, Ultragui, Under the Edge, We Control, Who Cares, Mist, & Walking Man. Whew!

I picked Cycle, Demode, Plastic Kiss, Panta Rhei, Real and Execute Overdrive for this Pre-Screening round. If I had to set up the final Voting Chart w/o the benefit of the pre-screening process, the final four C64 demos would have been You Know the Routine, Entropy, Darwin and Wok Zombie.

Any thoughts about the final two slots for the 2004 C64 Demo of the Year Voting Chart? Lastly, should I release the voting results for the Pre-Screening round or not, i.e., making the voting transparent?

-Todd Elliott
2005-05-06 08:53
TDJ

Just add Postcards from Stockholm & YKTR, and get to the next round.

As for transparacy of votes: I would really like that, however I feel that maybe you should have stated this as a possibility before people actually voted ;)
2005-05-06 08:56
Compyx

What he said.
2005-05-09 07:25
HCL

I agree, make it 10 demos.

But DON'T show the voting result until all the voting is over, that's my opinion. I think that prior results may affect the results of the final voting.
2005-05-14 16:31
Eyeth
Account closed

2004 C64 Demo of the Year Voting Chart!

The voting chart is ready! Top Ten C64 Demos are now awaiting the voting masses (ok, I'm shooting for 100 people here.) and may the best C64 Demo emerge to be a 2004 C64 Demo of the Year!

Go onto the following site and vote!

Enjoy.
-Todd Elliott
2005-06-01 18:30
Eyeth
Account closed

Hello.

A quick update; 86 people have voted! That's a better number, and hopefully 14 more people can be prodded upon to vote. So, do some arm-twisting out there and gently nudge them towards the 2004 C64 Demo of the Year Voting Chart.

Only seven points separates Demode and Panta Rhei for 2nd/3rd places. Only one point separates Borderline and Wok Zombie for 4th/5th places. Lastly, only one point separates Dialogue and You Know the Routine for 7th/8th places.

I'll leave the Voting Chart open for a few more days to see if any logjams describe above will be a little bit more definite and to see if more participants can be 'recruited' into the voting process. :)

Enjoy!
-Todd Elliott
2005-06-03 16:56
Eyeth
Account closed

Hello.

91 people have participated already! Very nice turnout, indeed. There are still a couple of logjams. Please try to get more participants to vote in the chart over the next 24 hours when the 2004 C64 Demo of the Year Voting Chart endeavor will end on June 4th. If you have already voted, thanks! Please do not try to change your votes, but try to encourage other C64 demo enthusiasts to participate in the voting endeavor.

There is a tie for 2nd place at 131 points for Demode and Panta Rhei. Two points now separate Borderline and Wok Zombie for 4th and 5th places. Two points now seperate three 2004 C64 demo entries, Dialogue, You Know the Routine & You Know the Routine 2.

-Todd Elliott
2005-06-03 20:01
Slator

I really like the idea of the demo voting but somehow it is lame to know the "results" or at least the trend before the end... makes it look a bit strange somehow.... and makes an influence on the real votes...

regards
2005-06-03 22:55
Steppe

Absolutely, this is manipulating the votes, just as people get downvoted just because some scene friends decided to upvote them beforehand. You shouldn't do this, Eyeth. If there's a tie, there's a tie. Fine with me.
2005-06-04 00:07
Eyeth
Account closed

Hello, Slator and Steppe-

You both have valid criticism. My main goal is to get more voting efforts out of the C64 demoscene community here on CSDb. I have now gotten 93 votes! Still, I have nagging doubts that some CSDb participants here have changed their votes based on the results displayed here, hence my strong suggestion not to do so. My hope is that these people on the fence (lurkers) will now then be prompted to vote in the endeavor and this is what I'm aiming for.

The final tally will be displayed tomorrow, even if there are a couple of ties and whatnot. I may not like it, but the voting endeavor has to end at some point. :)

Enjoy.
-Todd Elliott
2005-06-04 08:42
Hein

I guess we can conclude that Cycle is the top demo of the year, when we read your in between commentary, Eyeth.

Don't do that again next year, please.. Also, stick to the deadline you set, dont extend it, if only 50 people vote, then we'll have to accept that.

(Coz I was about to vote Dialogue no.1, just by reading your comments on voting so far.. ;))

2005-06-04 17:02
Eyeth
Account closed

Hello.

The 2004 C64 Demo Of The Year Voting Chart endeavor is now over! 94 people participated in the voting effort and thank you for participating! I did not get my goal of 100 voters, so this will not be a definitive endeavor and will leave room for much discussion.

Without further ado, here is the final tally:

1.) Cycle 255 points. (Nice number!)
2.) Demode 134 points.
3.) Panta Rhei 131 points.
4.) Borderline 73 points.
5.) Wok Zombie 67 points.
6.) You Know the Routine 55 points.
7.) You Know the Routine 2 53 points.
8.) Dialogue 51 points.
9.) Brief Bursts of Happiness 47 points.
10.) Postcards from Stockholm 30 points.

The full results, including who voted what, etc. will be posted on the demooftheyear webpage soon!

Enjoy.
-Todd Elliott
2005-06-06 15:12
Eyeth
Account closed

Hello.

For the statistical inner nerd inside you, you can now check complete voting statistics for the 2004 C64 Demo of the Year at:

http://noname.c64.org/csdb/demooftheyear/viewstat.php

Enjoy!
-Todd Elliott
2005-06-06 16:38
iopop

The gaps are votes for demos that didnt make it to the final round, right?
2005-06-06 18:06
Eyeth
Account closed

Hello, Iopop-

I'm not sure what the gaps mean. It could mean that the gaps refer to demos that were already eliminated in the Prescreening round. (If so, this person forgot to vote in the final Voting Chart.) It could also mean that this participant decided to vote on only 1, 2, or 3 demos and not all four at once.

Enjoy.
-Todd Elliott
2005-06-07 10:27
yago

Hi Eyeth,
if next Year the Votes will be made public, you should announce it (or even better: give the Voters the Option to leave the Votes secret)
2005-06-07 10:36
Dwangi

Open votes are good, even Eurovision song contest had their votes open.
2005-06-07 10:42
yago

Quote: Open votes are good, even Eurovision song contest had their votes open.

You seem to be trolling, but the open/closed vote-thing has been discussed til death.
If Eyeth wants more Votes, he should consider that some People will NOT vote, if the votes will be made public.

PS: Germany: 4 Points
2005-06-07 17:11
Slator

well I dont see a big problem in here. I just hope that graham won't beat me up as I didnt vote for him...

2005-06-07 18:36
Ninja

Quote: well I dont see a big problem in here. I just hope that graham won't beat me up as I didnt vote for him...

Heh, I wanna see that fight! :D
2005-06-08 06:49
Dwangi

Hmmm who want to meet slator in a dark corner anyway ??
2005-06-09 06:51
HCL

I was expecting the votes to be open, so i guess that must have been mentioned somewhere!? Right!?

If you can not stand for you voting then you should not vote at all! Otherwise we will have non-honest votes which don't reflect what people actually think or like. Better 10 honest votes than 100 non-honest. Sorry for bringing up that discussion again.

And of course neither i can understand why a big part of the voting result was displayed before the voting period was completely over.
2005-06-09 07:45
Dwangi

And i cant understand why execute overdrive was not even among top 10. Shame on you voters.
2005-06-09 10:38
HCL

Shame!?!?! ..and i'm talking about honest voting. How naiv i am. :/.
2005-06-09 11:32
Dane
Account closed

Anyway, thanks for appreciating Cycle. And remember a comment means ten times more than a vote!
2006-02-23 00:02
Eyeth
Account closed

Hello, all!

The last time I've logged onto CSDb was on October 3rd, 2005. Undoubtedly, I've taxed CSDb's servers severely in trying to catch up on all postings since that date! And therein lies the crux of my situation;

Real Life(tm) has drastically cut down on my Commodore hobbyist endeavors, unfortunately. I really do not have the time to continue this Demo of the Year balloting tradition here at CSDb, and I hope someone or two will actively take reins and make this a successful endeavor.

Hopefully, the ideal candidate would be:
* Having a thick skin. Believe me, as postings in this forum attest, you will be flamed from all directions!
* Someone with a smidgen of credibility. Specifically, this person should be a CBM scener, coder, graphician, musician, etc. Sadly, my being a naked emperor w/ no clothes did not lend itself to successfully 'selling' past Demo of the Year balloting efforts.
* affiliated with a disk magazine. I would love to see a C64 disk magazine 'sponsor' the C64 Demo of the Year voting chart and publish the results.

That's pretty much it, methinks! This person(s) are free to use their voting mechanisms, influence, and reach in promoting the C64 Demo of the Year Voting Chart. I just hope that this newly minted tradition will continue at CSDb, and that future winners can be legitimized with a high voting turnout, exceeding 100 participants.

At the very least, I shall promise to vote in the 2005 C64 Demo of the Year voting effort! That only leaves 99+ participants for the new lead person to worry about. :)

If you are interested, you can send me a PM or post here. Usually, I'll select the first person fitting the criteria and post more info in this thread.

Admittedly, I feel kinda 'funny' in choosing a successor, as I don't 'own' the voting chart. Anyone could lead the effort on their own initiative. That said, CSDb does have the voting mechanism, and a huge C64 demo database to draw upon, making the whole voting endeavor entirely feasible.

Thank you for giving me the privilege of hosting the C64 Demo of the Year Voting Chart! Despite all the flaming, it truly has been an enjoyable endeavor for me and everyone involved in the effort.

-Todd Elliott
RefreshSubscribe to this thread:

You need to be logged in to post in the forum.

Search the forum:
Search   for   in  
All times are CET.
Search CSDb
Advanced
Users Online
Jazzcat/Onslaught
Sentinel/Excess/TREX
Didi/Laxity
rime/Fancy Rats
tlr
Wiklund/Fairlight