Log inRegister an accountBrowse CSDbHelp & documentationFacts & StatisticsThe forumsAvailable RSS-feeds on CSDbSupport CSDb Commodore 64 Scene Database
You are not logged in - nap
CSDb User Forums

Forums > CSDb Discussions > Demo of the Year
2003-08-25 13:08
Eyeth
Account closed

Demo of the Year

Hello.

I'm surprised this idea hasn't been floated around. In the past two years, we have had C64.SK and CSDb ramping up with up to date information on demo releases throughout the year.

Why not have a Demo of the Year voting in Jan. 2004 for demos that were released throughout 2003? Thanks to C64.SK, we know whose demo entries won various competitions, which ones were released, etc. Why not compile a list of demos that won their respective demo party/competition, plus maybe an open invitation to a demo or two to round up the list?

CSDb or some other forum could then host the list and have a voting function for the C64 demo scene in choosing the Demo of the Year 2003. This would be a nice honor and one that is finally made possible thanks to reliable sources like CSDb and C64.SK. I'd like to write about the winning demo entry in a printed Commodore publication as well. :)

Any thoughts? Ideas?

Enjoy.
-Todd Elliott

... 117 posts hidden. Click here to view all posts....

2005-06-07 10:36
Dwangi

Open votes are good, even Eurovision song contest had their votes open.
2005-06-07 10:42
yago

Quote: Open votes are good, even Eurovision song contest had their votes open.

You seem to be trolling, but the open/closed vote-thing has been discussed til death.
If Eyeth wants more Votes, he should consider that some People will NOT vote, if the votes will be made public.

PS: Germany: 4 Points
2005-06-07 17:11
Slator

well I dont see a big problem in here. I just hope that graham won't beat me up as I didnt vote for him...

2005-06-07 18:36
Ninja

Quote: well I dont see a big problem in here. I just hope that graham won't beat me up as I didnt vote for him...

Heh, I wanna see that fight! :D
2005-06-08 06:49
Dwangi

Hmmm who want to meet slator in a dark corner anyway ??
2005-06-09 06:51
HCL

I was expecting the votes to be open, so i guess that must have been mentioned somewhere!? Right!?

If you can not stand for you voting then you should not vote at all! Otherwise we will have non-honest votes which don't reflect what people actually think or like. Better 10 honest votes than 100 non-honest. Sorry for bringing up that discussion again.

And of course neither i can understand why a big part of the voting result was displayed before the voting period was completely over.
2005-06-09 07:45
Dwangi

And i cant understand why execute overdrive was not even among top 10. Shame on you voters.
2005-06-09 10:38
HCL

Shame!?!?! ..and i'm talking about honest voting. How naiv i am. :/.
2005-06-09 11:32
Dane
Account closed

Anyway, thanks for appreciating Cycle. And remember a comment means ten times more than a vote!
2006-02-23 00:02
Eyeth
Account closed

Hello, all!

The last time I've logged onto CSDb was on October 3rd, 2005. Undoubtedly, I've taxed CSDb's servers severely in trying to catch up on all postings since that date! And therein lies the crux of my situation;

Real Life(tm) has drastically cut down on my Commodore hobbyist endeavors, unfortunately. I really do not have the time to continue this Demo of the Year balloting tradition here at CSDb, and I hope someone or two will actively take reins and make this a successful endeavor.

Hopefully, the ideal candidate would be:
* Having a thick skin. Believe me, as postings in this forum attest, you will be flamed from all directions!
* Someone with a smidgen of credibility. Specifically, this person should be a CBM scener, coder, graphician, musician, etc. Sadly, my being a naked emperor w/ no clothes did not lend itself to successfully 'selling' past Demo of the Year balloting efforts.
* affiliated with a disk magazine. I would love to see a C64 disk magazine 'sponsor' the C64 Demo of the Year voting chart and publish the results.

That's pretty much it, methinks! This person(s) are free to use their voting mechanisms, influence, and reach in promoting the C64 Demo of the Year Voting Chart. I just hope that this newly minted tradition will continue at CSDb, and that future winners can be legitimized with a high voting turnout, exceeding 100 participants.

At the very least, I shall promise to vote in the 2005 C64 Demo of the Year voting effort! That only leaves 99+ participants for the new lead person to worry about. :)

If you are interested, you can send me a PM or post here. Usually, I'll select the first person fitting the criteria and post more info in this thread.

Admittedly, I feel kinda 'funny' in choosing a successor, as I don't 'own' the voting chart. Anyone could lead the effort on their own initiative. That said, CSDb does have the voting mechanism, and a huge C64 demo database to draw upon, making the whole voting endeavor entirely feasible.

Thank you for giving me the privilege of hosting the C64 Demo of the Year Voting Chart! Despite all the flaming, it truly has been an enjoyable endeavor for me and everyone involved in the effort.

-Todd Elliott
Previous - 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 - Next
RefreshSubscribe to this thread:

You need to be logged in to post in the forum.

Search the forum:
Search   for   in  
All times are CET.
Search CSDb
Advanced
Users Online
zbych
Clown
Jetboy/Elysium
t0m3000/ibex-crew
CA$H/TRiAD
Clayboy