Log inRegister an accountBrowse CSDbHelp & documentationFacts & StatisticsThe forumsAvailable RSS-feeds on CSDbSupport CSDb Commodore 64 Scene Database
You are not logged in - nap
CSDb User Forums

Forums > CSDb Discussions > Demo of the Year
2003-08-25 13:08
Eyeth
Account closed

Demo of the Year

Hello.

I'm surprised this idea hasn't been floated around. In the past two years, we have had C64.SK and CSDb ramping up with up to date information on demo releases throughout the year.

Why not have a Demo of the Year voting in Jan. 2004 for demos that were released throughout 2003? Thanks to C64.SK, we know whose demo entries won various competitions, which ones were released, etc. Why not compile a list of demos that won their respective demo party/competition, plus maybe an open invitation to a demo or two to round up the list?

CSDb or some other forum could then host the list and have a voting function for the C64 demo scene in choosing the Demo of the Year 2003. This would be a nice honor and one that is finally made possible thanks to reliable sources like CSDb and C64.SK. I'd like to write about the winning demo entry in a printed Commodore publication as well. :)

Any thoughts? Ideas?

Enjoy.
-Todd Elliott

... 117 posts hidden. Click here to view all posts....

2005-04-22 19:52
Tch
Account closed

The one-file-zip would be the best,but every kind of help would be great!!
It will take long enough to watch ALL the demos.
There is no point in watching some and making up your mind.
2005-04-22 23:12
Wildstar

Quote: The one-file-zip would be the best,but every kind of help would be great!!
It will take long enough to watch ALL the demos.
There is no point in watching some and making up your mind.

Lets definitely keep this in mind for Demo of the Year 2005.

Anything that can make like easier. Format EVERY entry into a .d64. For the Top 100 list. Then next phase is the Final Round set. Eventually, we will have the coolest set.

Of course, we have to consider some things.

Anyway, I have NO idea as to how long each round of voting is, though.

It is cool to see all this.
2005-04-22 23:33
kurant
Account closed

Quote: @Compyx: I guess the file you got is to big for normal upload here on CSDb. The limit is 1mb.
But you can mail the package to me (perff@c64scene.net), and I will put it up, and then a link can be made from the 'demo of the year'-page.

About the direct download link I can easily add the little disc-icon which can also be found on the list of releases at other places in CSDb. What do you say? :)

Yes. Neat idea, indeed.
2005-04-23 08:13
TDJ

Jesus.

You all are a lazy bunch of motherfunkers. When I worked on my very own 'demo of the year' article about a month ago it took me only a few hours to download AND watch/rank all stuff. Ofcourse it helps that I already had seen almost all of the demos, but still: stop complaining, use a browser like firefox to get all the pages with demos from your searchview in a seperate tab and I will promise you that you have the complete list on your harddisk in less than 15 minutes.

Ofcourse I'm a lazy motherfunker myself as I still haven't actually WRITTEN the damn article but hey, I'm allowed to be lazy, I have a big mouth.

2005-05-06 03:37
Eyeth
Account closed

Hello, all!

The turnout was better than expected for the Pre-Screening round at 42 participants! Eight demos have already qualified for the final Voting Chart due to their numbers being equal to or higher than ten votes. They are:

Borderline
Brief Bursts of Happiness
Cycle
Demode
Dialogue
Panta Rhei
Wok Zombie
You Know the Routine 2

However, should the Voting Chart be left as is? I could add two more C64 demos to round out the top ten, but the nearest ones are:

Postcards from Stockholm, 9 votes
You Know the Routine, 8 votes
Don't meet Crest, 7 votes
Plastic Kiss, 6 votes

As for the rest of the lot, 42 C64 demos have garnered votes anywhere from 1 to 5 votes. They are:

Absolutely Hires, Antique Parts, Autumn Clouds, BSC, Bar4Kode, Bonfire, Brucelee-ish2k5, CTR+Tufs PartyScroller, Criminal, DMC Album #4, Darwin, Delighted, Entropy, Execute Overdrive, Fastcompo Primary Star 2004, Flashbak, Flut, Forever 5, Geotrope Preview, Goa Brudbilder, Halfway There, Hammarkullen, Intrology, Kymmene, Lost In Time, Nomen Nescio, Pi, Primary Colors, Primary Scar, Ps4partyscroller, Real, Resurrection, Rollo, Shattered, Szenzacios, Trwam, Ultragui, Under the Edge, We Control, Who Cares, Mist, & Walking Man. Whew!

I picked Cycle, Demode, Plastic Kiss, Panta Rhei, Real and Execute Overdrive for this Pre-Screening round. If I had to set up the final Voting Chart w/o the benefit of the pre-screening process, the final four C64 demos would have been You Know the Routine, Entropy, Darwin and Wok Zombie.

Any thoughts about the final two slots for the 2004 C64 Demo of the Year Voting Chart? Lastly, should I release the voting results for the Pre-Screening round or not, i.e., making the voting transparent?

-Todd Elliott
2005-05-06 08:53
TDJ

Just add Postcards from Stockholm & YKTR, and get to the next round.

As for transparacy of votes: I would really like that, however I feel that maybe you should have stated this as a possibility before people actually voted ;)
2005-05-06 08:56
Compyx

What he said.
2005-05-09 07:25
HCL

I agree, make it 10 demos.

But DON'T show the voting result until all the voting is over, that's my opinion. I think that prior results may affect the results of the final voting.
2005-05-14 16:31
Eyeth
Account closed

2004 C64 Demo of the Year Voting Chart!

The voting chart is ready! Top Ten C64 Demos are now awaiting the voting masses (ok, I'm shooting for 100 people here.) and may the best C64 Demo emerge to be a 2004 C64 Demo of the Year!

Go onto the following site and vote!

http://noname.c64.org/csdb/demooftheyear/

Enjoy.
-Todd Elliott
2005-06-01 18:30
Eyeth
Account closed

Hello.

A quick update; 86 people have voted! That's a better number, and hopefully 14 more people can be prodded upon to vote. So, do some arm-twisting out there and gently nudge them towards the 2004 C64 Demo of the Year Voting Chart.

Only seven points separates Demode and Panta Rhei for 2nd/3rd places. Only one point separates Borderline and Wok Zombie for 4th/5th places. Lastly, only one point separates Dialogue and You Know the Routine for 7th/8th places.

I'll leave the Voting Chart open for a few more days to see if any logjams describe above will be a little bit more definite and to see if more participants can be 'recruited' into the voting process. :)

Enjoy!
-Todd Elliott
Previous - 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 - Next
RefreshSubscribe to this thread:

You need to be logged in to post in the forum.

Search the forum:
Search   for   in  
All times are CET.
Search CSDb
Advanced
Users Online
ritti/TLN
BYB/Hokuto Force
icon/The Silents, Sp..
d4ng3r
v3to/OXY^TRSI^PriorArt
bOOZElEE