Log inRegister an accountBrowse CSDbHelp & documentationFacts & StatisticsThe forumsAvailable RSS-feeds on CSDbSupport CSDb Commodore 64 Scene Database
You are not logged in - nap
CSDb User Forums

Forums > C64 Composing > Goat tracker sample files.
2005-05-28 20:26
tatqoo^tqa
Account closed

Goat tracker sample files.

Hi.

First let me apologize for posting a question that probably has been answered on this forum.

I would like to try Goat Tracker but i need more example tunes.

Can somebody point me to some resources ?

You should know, that i am totally c-64 newbie. I am an Atari 8-bit musician , you can find my tunes (mostly covers) in Rater Music Tracker package.

So, any nice guys to help with sample tracks and maybe even some other c-64 music resources ? (e.g. theory).

Thanks in advance.

tatqoo
2005-05-28 20:48
cadaver

You could start with the MW4-goattracker song pack. Note that the game requires the first subtune to be silence, so don't be surprised when you see nothing in the orderlist; just go to next subtune.

http://covertbitops.c64.org/music/mw4sng.zip

However, those are in the style of repetitive heavy metal inspired gamemusic, and not very technical, so you may not learn much. Hope that SmallTownBoy divulges his secrets :)
2005-05-29 09:30
Hein

Best way to learn is try out. The helpfile is good enough to learn the basics of Goattracker, everything else is what your creativity comes up with.

It took me some time to get a hang of the sid, making quite some bad sounding tunes in the beginning, with bad settings to the registers.

One thing I use to learn about other peoples tricks, is to listen to the sids I like, and imagine 'how would they have done that' and try to create the same. (Most often something else came out, still suitable for my needs)

But for sure, in my opinion Goattracker is a good tool to get to know the posibilities of the sid chip, don't listen to all those technical people saying otherwise, coz they forget that the sid is creating the sound, not the fancy routines. (Allthough a vibrating arpegio would be nice, Cadaver :))

you can find some of my teststuff here: http://www.sinapism.net/goattrackersongs
Those are all 6581 tunes, except for Sherona.
2005-05-29 09:52
Raf

Hein: Great that you supplied your worktunes , I appreciate the work you put on getting such a great instruments
2005-05-29 11:25
cadaver

Yep, it's always cool to see/hear stuff that surpasses the editor author's imaginations about 10x :)

Btw. another thing I guess is easy to forget is that by changing the instrument mid-note, you can change what pulse modulation & wavetable are doing. Of course this isn't to be over-used due to 31 instruments max :)

Here's an example of a Galway-style lead sound (first fast pulse, then slow):

http://covertbitops.c64.org/music/galway.zip
2005-05-29 20:36
tatqoo^tqa
Account closed

Thank you all.

I am going to experiment with these tunes next week.
Maybe i will manage do create something listenable.

tatqoo
2005-05-29 20:50
CreaMD

You can get GoatTracker music compo (SIDpack & Learning pack) here: http://www.c64.sk/files/goatcompo/goatcompoSIDpack.zip

It was released in first SidCompo at c64.sk 8.-22.october 2001. Whoops I just realised that it's probably old data format so it won't work with newest versions of GoatTracker ;-(
2005-05-30 03:22
Six

Quote: Thank you all.

I am going to experiment with these tunes next week.
Maybe i will manage do create something listenable.

tatqoo

You'll be one up on me if you do. :P

On that note, does anyone have a good tutorial on instrument construction?
2005-05-30 06:29
Raf

tatqoo : just listening to music you did on RMT ;-) (example songz). Hope ypu'll stick to sid , pokey sounds are rather poor and somoene may say now it can imitate sid by software... but I guess it takes too much cpu time to be really useable.
2005-05-30 06:43
CreaMD

I've heard pokey software emulation of SID chip. Quite impressive that it works, even when it is still worse than earliest versions of Sidplay, or DOS sid player for PC.
2005-05-30 11:34
Hate Bush

Quote: You could start with the MW4-goattracker song pack. Note that the game requires the first subtune to be silence, so don't be surprised when you see nothing in the orderlist; just go to next subtune.

http://covertbitops.c64.org/music/mw4sng.zip

However, those are in the style of repetitive heavy metal inspired gamemusic, and not very technical, so you may not learn much. Hope that SmallTownBoy divulges his secrets :)

Wish I had any... ;)

The only thing I can recommend is to listen to the sids you consider advanced soundwise - not with SIDPlay2/w however, but using Open Cubic Player. It is the only SID player (AFAIK) capable of analyzing the contents of SID registers while playing back the tune.
It shows (in realtime, I'm afraid - couldn't find the SLOWDOWN button, although the PAUSE is there, under P key ;D) the waveform, ADSR, filter type and pulse width for each of three SID channels, plus it indicates whether a sample is played or not (old PSID format only, no RSID supported). In other words, with some effort, you can see "how it's done", and decode _every imaginable instrument ever done on C64_.
Find the player here:

http://www.cubic.org/player/

...and don't pay much attention to the sound fidelity. Yes, it is quite outdated.

powodzenia w eksperymentach kolego atarowcu, czekamy na jakies gotowe zaki,
Randall aka. Smalltown Boy

... 37 posts hidden. Click here to view all posts....

Previous - 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 - Next
RefreshSubscribe to this thread:

You need to be logged in to post in the forum.

Search the forum:
Search   for   in  
All times are CET.
Search CSDb
Advanced
Users Online
Mike
AMB/Level 64
Genius/Xenon
Soya/Fairlight
fieserWolF/Abyss-Con..
Mr. SID