Log inRegister an accountBrowse CSDbHelp & documentationFacts & StatisticsThe forumsAvailable RSS-feeds on CSDbSupport CSDb Commodore 64 Scene Database
You are not logged in - nap
CSDb User Forums

Forums > C64 Pixeling > a plea from an old schooler
2010-07-17 16:03
STE'86

a plea from an old schooler

please dont use modified PAL emulating screenshots for pictures on this site.

people may want to use this site to download unmodified c64 art in gif or png format with pure pixel definition.

if they want to see the stuff in highly debatable pal emulation mode people can download the PRG files and view them in that mode on an emulator.

Thanks
Steve

... 167 posts hidden. Click here to view all posts....

2010-08-19 09:48
Devia

Quote: so if you want me to tune my output with vice because the base pepto palette is not as i knew it, it begs the question why i am being bitched at for doing the same thing for my screenshots but using photoshop and a palette i feel is more representative of what i saw than the "base" pepto palette is?

Steve

Did you consider that ALL LCD/TFT/WHATEVERNONCRT monitors are crap? -and maybe it's your monitor/gfx-card-driver/photoshop/whatever that needs adjusting and maybe not Vice?
If you calibrate your c64 monitor and your PC monitor to have as similar color/brightness/contrast as possible using the SAME reference picture(s), then how does Vice look compared to the c64?
If they don't look the same, is it then safe to assume that Vice's default is wrong?

2010-08-19 09:52
chatGPZ

Quote:
So where's the 5 luma palette for those of us who may have had that VIC revision? I can't specifically find that as an option for VICE

-newluminance for new lumas
+newluminance for old lumas

and as said before, you must NOT use an external palette for this. it wont work then (how could it?)

Quote:
Is it just a combination of selecting old vic and switching off "new luminances" from the VIC-II settings on the GUI?

that, and using the internally generated palette, yes. like i said before =P

Quote:
And doesn't the fact that there are machines with only 5 lumas also mean the possible combinations of colours produced by PAL blending is lower?

not at all, the number of possibly produced colors is infinite either way :)

2010-08-19 10:00
JCB
Account closed

Ok, I thought the luma had an effect on the produced colour as well as the colour combo itself.
2010-08-19 10:16
chatGPZ

no, luma has no effect on color at all :) luma == "brightness" chroma == "color". the chroma part is identical for old/new vic, only the luma levels for certain colors differ (see peptos webpage).
2010-08-19 10:18
DeeKay

ofcourse the different lumas have an effect on the colors and their combinations!

The point about the ageold discussion of new-vs-old-lumas is that there weren't many machines produced with the old VIC. And even less are still in use today (yes, relatively speaking), since, being the oldest, they're more likely to die (e.g. failing PSU caps frying them)..

Hence most websites, programs etc. in the PC age are based on the new Lumas, hell, we don't even have an old luma palette in Mufflon! ;-)

I personally never tested my pictures, our demos etc on an old luma machine - simply because i could never find one! ;-) My neighbour had one (at the time i didn't know about the old/new VIC thing, so I thought his dark grey being darker than brown was due to him using a greenscreen with his c64, somehow "burning" out the VIC by not using colors or sth! ;-), but i missed it when he sold it/threw it out...
2010-08-19 10:18
JCB
Account closed

I do know what chroma and luma are :P but, a chroma with different lumas = another perceived colour, else there wouldn't be many colours around ;)

*edit*
that was in reply to groepaz
2010-08-19 10:22
DeeKay

Quote: no, luma has no effect on color at all :) luma == "brightness" chroma == "color". the chroma part is identical for old/new vic, only the luma levels for certain colors differ (see peptos webpage).

Meh. Since there is no color without luma (just black) i strongly object to this definition! 8)
Luma is an integral part of the color. Color != chroma.
I know, the greek word prolly means the same thing, but there simply is no color without luma, just like there is no color when there is no light...

Chroma is the tint, while luma is the brightness. Only *together* both form the actual color!

You wouldn't say Purple is the same color as pink, just because pink is a brighter version of purple, now would you? 8)
2010-08-19 10:27
Oswald

the pepto palette is based on exact measurements of the c64's signal, which findings were converted to RGB from YUV. It will never get much better than that, it can only be slightly more accurate. As gpz says use Vice's settings to get the contrast/etc or even the blur factor to your likings.(settings, video settings). Old luma: settings, vicII setting, take check off from new luminances.
2010-08-19 10:28
Ed

PNG to c64 koala conversion using for instance Project One is definitely a great way to preserve images and also making it easy to work with (throwing files back and forth, in and out of different software or even hardware, for that matter).

Some 10 years ago Joe made a palette similar to the pepto palette on the Amiga, which with the proper saturation, brightness and contrast looked as close to as possible without further manipulation as the c64 output. Oddly enough this was never reproducible on the PC. One reason perhaps was that the higher bits required for generating the graphics but there are probably other reasons concerned with hardware, etc. We never figured it out, and then all of a sudden there was Pepto.

The first sid-players sounded like crap and for almost a decade I was strongly against the emulation of the c64 in many aspects. Nothing sounded like it had on my various machines and it is only by today I am starting to find "how it sounded like" due the large pack of sid settings made available for the emulators. I still miss the horrible hiss which created an aura of authenticity and ambience to the otherwise very minimalist sound I am known for.

Graphic-wise I am still not content with how the emulator works with images such as for instance single-color graphics, etc. And the way I see it there are multiple more ways this database can develop into without loosing its original meaning. Limitations are made to be explored.

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Chessboard pixels melting the screen like barf. A time when white text on black background created a hiss. Raster-bars flickered and sounds stuttered whilst running the discs. All those moments are lost in time, like posts on csdb...
2010-08-19 10:33
Oswald

nice poetry at the end Ed :) but afterall like someone here already said we spent serious amount of time trying to get rid of all those artefacts. I always hated the constant noise with the rf cable, often very slight tech-tech waving, noises coming for weird color combos, screen shifting where there is a lot of white etc. etc. I'm glad they are gone in emus.
Previous - 1 | ... | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 - Next
RefreshSubscribe to this thread:

You need to be logged in to post in the forum.

Search the forum:
Search   for   in  
All times are CET.
Search CSDb
Advanced
Users Online
Mike
Matt
sln.pixelrat
Knut Clausen/SHAPE/F..
DKT/Samar
wil