Log inRegister an accountBrowse CSDbHelp & documentationFacts & StatisticsThe forumsAvailable RSS-feeds on CSDbSupport CSDb Commodore 64 Scene Database
 Welcome to our latest new user psenough ! (Registered 2024-05-21) You are not logged in - nap
CSDb User Forums

Forums > C64 Coding > Which assemblers do you/did you use for coding?
2007-08-17 21:20
tlr

Which assemblers do you/did you use for coding?

I thought this might be interesting.

I'll start:
I started out with Hesmon, and later switched to Handics VICMON.
Never did anything major in this. Just learnt how stuff was working.

Later I bought a copy Oasis Machine Lightning (which was bought up by Ocean and turned into Laser Genious)
I used Machine Lightning for all demos I did in the 80's. Cost a shitload of money.
It's line oriented (like basic) which sucks a bit, but has very good macro facilities.

I had a quick stint with Macrofire V1.0 but thought it was cryptic.

I started using dasm as soon as I got an Amiga.
Kept on using dasm when I switched to a linux system.

I have recently started using Kick Assembler 2.12 in combination with dasm and make (under linux).

... 82 posts hidden. Click here to view all posts....

2007-08-31 20:59
Wile Coyote

Quote: @wile coyote: Wow, is my old tutorial still online? :) Not sure it ever became very useful though, since I lost interest in it before it ever really got anywhere. Try Puterman's tutorial instead, I have heard many good things about it.

Macros are high-level constructs in the assembler code, used for generating code and data. E.g. if you wanna make a fast rolled out screen clearing routine, you could either write 1000 commands by hand like this:

sta $0400
sta $0401
sta $0402
sta $07e7

Or you could get the assembler to generate it automatically. In KickAss this would look something like:

.for (var i=0; i<1000; i++) {
	sta $0400 + i
}

There are also other ways to get it done, e.g. make a Basic program that generates the code, like I did in the old days, or make a machine code routine that does it, which is my preferred method nowadays, since it reduces the file size, although I also use KickAss macros quite a bit, especially in the early stages of an effect, since it's a lot faster to make a script than a mc routine.

Yup, its still on line.
As for Puterman's tutorial, well I think I'll pass this time, as I feel its a bit late in the day to learn c64 programming. I've too many other things to get done. If I could live for another 1000 years, then I'd love to spend 20 of them creating a lavish c64 production :D
2007-09-06 20:37
chancer

tlr : that was the one with the red manuals? hehehe I remember it well, didn't get into it though,had the Oasis tape version.

Burg: I have something similar, except its a c128 in 128 mode to c64 via the user port, you have receive software on the target machine? the beauty of it, you could use far more memory, that's what colditz etc was made on. Could you also send and receive? so like say you wanted to receive data from the target machine, it would also do that, and store them a byte statements. not that i code anything much.

jOx: that sounds like zeus64, maybe, I had that also.

turbo asm, i used a lot the one where you used the left arrow 3? or something to compile

had trilogic expert cart and action replay, but in some ways the expert was better, I always used to wipe $0400 with the action replay =/

I did look at putermans tutorial, its good at helping me to try to remember.
2007-09-06 20:41
tlr

Quote:
tlr : that was the one with the red manuals? hehehe I remember it well, didn't get into it though,had the Oasis tape version.

Oasis Machine Lightning, yes. :)
The manuals where black on red pages, which was their version of copy protection... Turned up all black in copiers back then. :)
2007-09-14 00:52
Warnock
Account closed

I used Turbo Assembler for all my coding.
I didn't have time to check out any others.
TASS was home for me.
2007-09-14 07:50
chatGPZ

petmon->smon->ar6 (huge break) tass->verious cross assemblers->cc65/acme/codenet

and i always love to read this: crossbow still uses SMON, exclusivly :)
2007-09-14 12:59
raven
Account closed

Started with built-in monitor of a custom cartridge called
Jaguar back in 1987. Its still the only ML monitor I use.

Moved to TASM in late 1989 after joining The Force
and visiting Guy Shavitt's place.
It just seemed so easy :)

Still use a customized TASM on the 64 exclusively, no
cross-assemblers for me, kills the C64 feeling imho.

@Oswald: when I needed to insert an instruction I just
jmped to another address, executed that instruction (or
instructions) then jumped back.
That resulted in a very messy code. Very.
2023-10-25 15:26
Starfox

Sorry for necro :)

I used Smon-EX (can't remembers spelling) which was of course, a monitor.

To answer Oswald: If you need to insert something in the middle of code, you just place a JMP there, do your stuff and JMP back 😂

I made my first intros and demos using this monitor, lol!

Now I use KickAssembler, but I don't use much of its smart features, and I don't like the // for comments, so might try our 64TASS or something.
2023-10-25 17:44
Bansai

In the past year or so, I've become a fan of cross assemblers under Linux because of their speed, but also because for any nontrivial project, I'm writing C code as some sort of tool or emulator instrumentation anyway.

In the beginning though, a Fastload cartridge and a notebook of paper all the way. :-)
2023-10-25 20:45
DeMOSic

Started coding around 1.5 years ago, and when i first started, i either got introduced, recomended, or just had it downloaded on my computer, to 64tass and i still use it.

Huh, i still havent updated it for some abnormal reason... maybe i should.

But now i also use Kickassembler a bit (usually when im coding something that requires speedcode such as a plasma.).
2023-10-25 20:53
Fungus

Turbo assembler, tass64 and Action Replay monitor.

kickass and ca65 are nice, but too complex for my needs. But then I'm not a demo coder anymore.
Previous - 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 - Next
RefreshSubscribe to this thread:

You need to be logged in to post in the forum.

Search the forum:
Search   for   in  
All times are CET.
Search CSDb
Advanced
Users Online
megasoftargentina
wbochar
Guests online: 75
Top Demos
1 Next Level  (9.8)
2 13:37  (9.7)