Log inRegister an accountBrowse CSDbHelp & documentationFacts & StatisticsThe forumsAvailable RSS-feeds on CSDbSupport CSDb Commodore 64 Scene Database
You are not logged in - nap
CSDb User Forums

Forums > C64 Pixeling > Hires
2006-07-25 09:02
ptoing

Hires

Some time ago I started dabbling in standard Hires mode and i find it quite enjoyable. Also people seem to like the stuff i put up on CSDB in hires mode.

This makes me wonder why not more graphicians try to use it. Imo it is pretty easy to get a hang of and quite enjoyable.

Opinions?

... 126 posts hidden. Click here to view all posts....

2006-08-02 19:23
Ben
Account closed

Quote: Actually I do believe that yes. It's just a matter of perception. A monkey doing a messy doodle is just as aesthetic as an intellectual describing the truth of the world in one beautifull poetic sentence.

Considering the eternity, it is about as pointless, but I doubt that that is what this discussion is about :)
2006-08-02 19:27
Hein

lotsa pointless, the empty spaces between the pixels.
2006-08-02 19:29
ptoing

Hein, you seem bitter.
2006-08-02 19:46
Sander

In the end we all have our very personal reasons to pixel on this machine. Hard to judge, as it remains a relative and subjective matter.
But i think it's an advantage for all to share visions and ideas, and discuss them.
2006-08-02 20:30
Dane
Account closed

As artist you also see not only the aestethic value of what you've done but there is a sentimental value to it - I have strong feelings for some of my work simply because I know how much time I've spent on it.

Not that I have any idea how that fits into the discussion. I should namedrop more.
2006-08-02 20:31
Ben
Account closed

Quote: Hein, you seem bitter.

It all is a matter of taste.. I personally think Hein is of a good year; rich, bitter-sweet with woody aftertaste.. <3
2006-08-02 20:55
Mirage

Quote: lotsa pointless, the empty spaces between the pixels.

Hein, the empty spaces are also pixels! they're just a different colour :)

the glass is not half empty or half full, it's always completely full
2006-08-05 23:33
Hein

yes. thats so. pointless pixels. Just a play of words, in the nerdy tradition. It's with gfx just like with music, the rests between the notes are just as important as the notes themselves. So actually this was kinda the point of this discussion, Hires, where rests meet notes. But it's also what Dane says, emotional attachment to the things an artist creates (how else can an artist create something?), without thinking/discussing about the aesthetic proportions. Thats why I never cultivated the formats I worked in, just doing what I felt was good at that time, working with whatever is needed to get the thing done.

Then there's the issue of copying. Its not very difficult to copy something, nor is it difficult to create abstract(ish) art, and it's even less difficult to give a personal touch to a piece, because thats a sideproduct of the creation process. Lucky us.
2006-08-06 17:46
Helm
Account closed

"because thats a sideproduct of the creation process."

I agree with this. If you sit down and copy the Mona Lisa, and you really really invest in it and suffer the hours it needs to be done right, chances are you'll end up with YOUR Mona Lisa to a degree, especially if you're transfering the subject from one technical method to another (like oils - pixels). In fact, a pic by Lazur that's based on a Thorgal comic, I like it more than the original.

That's a very hefty thing to say: I like a copy more than the original.

So there is merit in that whole procedure. But, in the end for every accidental bit of magic in a copy that was drawn as you say 'automatically' without any thought given to design or aesthetic choices, there's 100 pictures that are just bad copies, empty art. Now, is this bad? Up to anyone's opinion. What is certain is that the artists don't become better at standing on their own feet through this process. Lazur is probably the most masterful technician when it comes to Amiga pixel art. Any of you seen any of his photoshop nocopy pieces?

So, a scene full of people that have learned to copy, even possibly have learned to OUTDO the original, but cannot create on the same level without using reference. Is this a good thing?

I personally will go for art that is infused with both honesty and meaning. The meaning might not be anything earth-shattering (in fact the meaning might as well ocassionaly be "I like boobs"), but it will be mine and not emergent from my copying of someone else's meaning.
2006-08-06 20:49
Sander

I'll bite off my tongue for another couple of days.

BUT - Where are the damn Wrath Twins? This is THE stage to justify their, often considered, pretentious 'reviews'.
And especially for Joe, who has done some pioneering work in dithering - he should be here.
Previous - 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 - Next
RefreshSubscribe to this thread:

You need to be logged in to post in the forum.

Search the forum:
Search   for   in  
All times are CET.
Search CSDb
Advanced
Users Online
B.A.
Higgie/Kraze/Onslaught
Sentinel/Excess/TREX
Bieno/Commodore Plus
C64_80er/TRT
Clayboy