Log inRegister an accountBrowse CSDbHelp & documentationFacts & StatisticsThe forumsAvailable RSS-feeds on CSDbSupport CSDb Commodore 64 Scene Database
You are not logged in - nap
CSDb User Forums

Forums > C64 Pixeling > Hires
2006-07-25 09:02
ptoing

Hires

Some time ago I started dabbling in standard Hires mode and i find it quite enjoyable. Also people seem to like the stuff i put up on CSDB in hires mode.

This makes me wonder why not more graphicians try to use it. Imo it is pretty easy to get a hang of and quite enjoyable.

Opinions?

... 126 posts hidden. Click here to view all posts....

2006-08-08 13:59
Helm
Account closed

Whether the PC or another machine can display graphics made for the c64 is really not what I am talking about.

I am talking about of the aesthetic qualities that occur out of working in the c64 limitations. What platfrom you might do that on really has no bearing, for me. I do my c64 art on a PC, I've never touched Koala Paint.
2006-08-08 14:02
Jetboy

Quote: I'm afraid it'd would be unfair to reply to this by posting images by past and recent legends and then play the 'I agree/dissagre' game with you. Work that answer our for yourself if you believe my opinion might potentially have merit.

You made a simple statement. Give a simple ansver.

What can c64 do that PC cant?

I remind you that we were speaking about conceptual development.
2006-08-08 14:03
jailbird

Sorry for the interruption, but the only thing I don't get is what kind of (Boris/Bell/whatever) copies or dragons are you constantly referring to?
I haven't seen a fantasy copy since ages (the last few major ones were released in Royal Arte, at least what I can recall of). An that was... what, five years ago?
In fact, nowadays we could hardly run into "one by one" copies, especially on compos.

As for the main subject, hey, it is one of the most subjective things. Personally, I put more weight on the craftmanship, and my taste probably originates from my studies, as I'm a typographist by profession. Artwork, freshness and originality always seemed obsolete in everyday DTP/typography, where my work relied on technical skills, and much less from the improvisation.

One of the main reasons I pixel or draw on paper is to fulfill my own enjoyment...
2006-08-08 14:04
Jetboy

So you admit - pc can do everything c64 can. You do all your art on PC.
2006-08-08 14:20
Helm
Account closed

"what kind of (Boris/Bell/whatever) copies or dragons are you constantly referring to?"

There isn't much Boris left, yes. After all, about all his pieces were copied more than once in the years of the combined commodore scenes... But there's still a lot of copies from other sources and sadly a lot of what either is, or seems to be wired straight conversions to interlace with minor touch-ups.

Jetboy:

The PC can do (almost) everything the c64 can, as it is a newer machine. I say almost because flicker pics don't flicker very convincingly on vice yet, the palettes we have are pretty darn close but not exact VIC palettes, and SID emulation last time I checked isn't 100% either. And of course, we are looking at the demos and art on computer screens, and not TVs, and that's a huge difference and always will be.

But art made on the c64, the PC or on any other platform that can do it, smartly navigating the technological-cum-abstract limitations of the c64 creates a very singular art style. That was, and remains my point.

So what do I admit to exactly by saying I work on the PC? We're both sitting in front of a PC (or pray tell, a mac?) right now. Your conclusions are your own to make. I believe I was pretty clear.
2006-08-08 14:23
TDJ

Quote: So you admit - pc can do everything c64 can. You do all your art on PC.

So just because you *can* do something on another machine/in another scene, you *must* do it as well?
2006-08-08 14:27
Sander

Quote: So you admit - pc can do everything c64 can. You do all your art on PC.

Like Helm said earlier: 'I am talking about of the aesthetic qualities that occur out of working in the c64 limitations.'

What about crossdevelopers?
2006-08-08 14:48
MRT
Account closed

Quoting Sander

Oooh... Is this a way into this little discussion for coders???
2006-08-08 14:55
Scout

Quote: Quoting Sander

Oooh... Is this a way into this little discussion for coders???

No, we shouldn't enter this discussion.
Those artists see us coders as a bunch of faul-mouthed constructionworkers who are only good for displaying their stuff.

---
8Bit Mayhem - The Commodore 64 Scenemusic Podcast
http://8bitmayhem.blogspot.com/
2006-08-08 15:02
Sander

Quote: No, we shouldn't enter this discussion.
Those artists see us coders as a bunch of faul-mouthed constructionworkers who are only good for displaying their stuff.

---
8Bit Mayhem - The Commodore 64 Scenemusic Podcast
http://8bitmayhem.blogspot.com/

That only goes for you, Roland.. ;)
Previous - 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 - Next
RefreshSubscribe to this thread:

You need to be logged in to post in the forum.

Search the forum:
Search   for   in  
All times are CET.
Search CSDb
Advanced
Users Online
hedning/G★P
Apollyon/ALD
syntaxerror
icon/The Silents, Sp..
psych
bepp/ΤRIΛD