Log inRegister an accountBrowse CSDbHelp & documentationFacts & StatisticsThe forumsAvailable RSS-feeds on CSDbSupport CSDb Commodore 64 Scene Database
You are not logged in - nap
CSDb User Forums

Forums > CSDb Discussions > Deleted entries
2004-01-27 18:43
midfit
Account closed

Deleted entries

Thanks to some pathetic loser several entries got deleted from the database:

- Powerplant & Doc / Legend
- Excel / Legend
- Hero / Illusion
- Crossbow/Crest
- Excell / Legend
- A-Man / Legend

(Verified by Midfit & Westbam)

- Deus Ex Machina (Demo) by Crest
- Electric / Extend

(Verified by Mermaid)

Some dude seems to be online and is still deleting entries. Users online look as following :

midfit *
iopop/triad *
Westbam/Legend.. *
Perff/No Name *
Phiber *
Nafcom/P.o.L... *
Twoflower/Triad *
ice00 *

... 100 posts hidden. Click here to view all posts....

2004-02-02 14:58
TDJ

Quote: What is exactly the problem? I can think of some reasons, like overload of the target site database if some web-crawler tries to open all external links at once? Any other?

The problem lies in the fact that the values of the id's can never be guaranteed, just like in this instance: records are deleted and re-entered but because the sequence has been changed they get different id's and you lose all your links.

Someone at my company made a mistake like this for a site that has been up & running for 4 yours now and you wouldn't want to know how much shit it has caused. Id's are for internal use only, really.
2004-02-02 15:04
Oxbow

I would advise to change the delete function. Better have a field in every table called 'active' updated from 1 (active) to 0 (inactive). I don't know if it's possible in your database, but whenever possible, kill all delete rights and allow only select and update rights!!

Then some moderator could run a script on a regular basis, which a) back-ups the database, b) afterwards deletes all 'active=0' records in the database.
2004-02-02 15:12
Perff
Administrator

Quote: I would advise to change the delete function. Better have a field in every table called 'active' updated from 1 (active) to 0 (inactive). I don't know if it's possible in your database, but whenever possible, kill all delete rights and allow only select and update rights!!

Then some moderator could run a script on a regular basis, which a) back-ups the database, b) afterwards deletes all 'active=0' records in the database.

It kinda already works like this.

What happens when someone edits or deletes something is that the info is put into a special backup-table. Then all changes can always be undone (or approved) using some admin-tools we have.

But as I have said MANY times now, the reason that Secret got to fuck up the database was that I in my frustration hit the wrong button, which resultet in the stuff he deleted was also removed from the backup-table.
I have made sure such an insident NEVER!!! happens again!!

So if someone shows up and deleted the entire CSDb tomorrow, it will take me less time than it took for him to delete it to restore it all 100%. It has been that way since the beginning, and will continue to.

About backing up the database - we are working on that one. I must admit that I though such backup's were made by the people who hosts us, but no. :/
2004-02-02 18:09
Nafcom

Hi there! Just wanted to say: "Attitude" #7 and "Game Over(view)" #1 (re-)added!

All the best!
Bye!
Joerg
2004-02-02 18:21
psychobilly/x-RSI
Account closed

Quote: Well, I am grown up. In case you don´t feel like it for youself, fine.

I don´t beat anyone up and I don´t threat anyone to beat him up (Hey, I´m adult, did I mention?)..

In case I get troubled by someone I stick to the laws. If someone hits me, I get him sued. If someone would do this to my databases, I´d personally take care that *NO* ISP would ever sign the guy up anymore...

Whether you like it or not, in case you do something like that you have to face the consequences one way or another. Now it´s just the question if you stick to your so-called scene gentlemen´s agreement, which *NEVER* worked out at all (I really wonder if you got the slightest clue of how many sceners were busted because of inside info althrough the years...) or if you just act like a grown up person and use law enforcements...

I agree on the point that many morons did NOT stick to the implicit rules as aforementioned. BUT this historical fact does not make current violations better. To my mind this still is a good scene-intern self-regulation.

The use of force in a real life context is already a violation of that rule. In this case I would agree to call in law enforcement agencies.

However, my impression was that some people hyperventilate over quite minor scene-typical quarrels...therefore my advise is to relax and do not overreact. If you start to call in law enforcement agencies into MINOR scene-typical quarrels everyone could sue anbody if he gets ragged on and feels offended.

This would be perfectly adult but no fun at all anymore.. if this is standard in the scene of 2004 - OK, but I am still from the last century and did this stuff to have FUN.

Stefan aka Psychobilly/x-RSI

2004-02-03 08:22
midfit
Account closed

Dear Psychobilly.

First of all I didn't wanted to reply to this topic anylonger, but I don't see clearance of your intensions here. Are you interested in a deeper morale debate or are you trying to take half side position for a former group mate? After all this is something I would like to hear from you.

Nobody was actually saying he would use the help of law authorities after he was slagged (? What the hell !) down by Secret Man or anybody else. Coming to the life example Secret Man: Infact this little creep destroyed data on this database. As this is an open system, 100% legit in it's state, it's also ok if this system protects itself like 100000000+ other websites in this world called world wide web. This includes protection against manipulation of data and/or abuse of a specific platform. Protection includes authentication / authorization and if that's been treaten by some people it also includes law enforcement. So far for this point.

You brought in some codex discussion - fine for you.. Actually I would be interested which codex you're referring to? Secret Man's? While I won't describe the entire scope here, I still would like to point out that the person behind this nick is responsible for the bust of two wellknown people have faced several years ago alongside with his best pal Skinhead. Can he lean on some old codex? I am sure he cannot.

I also would like to point out that it is better to close this topic anyway. This platform has suffered too long under it anyway.

Best Regards,

-midfit!
2004-02-03 08:39
Hero

whatever..... he is history for me!

Harry

Hero/ILLUSION
2004-02-03 12:55
Westbam
Account closed

Quote: I agree on the point that many morons did NOT stick to the implicit rules as aforementioned. BUT this historical fact does not make current violations better. To my mind this still is a good scene-intern self-regulation.

The use of force in a real life context is already a violation of that rule. In this case I would agree to call in law enforcement agencies.

However, my impression was that some people hyperventilate over quite minor scene-typical quarrels...therefore my advise is to relax and do not overreact. If you start to call in law enforcement agencies into MINOR scene-typical quarrels everyone could sue anbody if he gets ragged on and feels offended.

This would be perfectly adult but no fun at all anymore.. if this is standard in the scene of 2004 - OK, but I am still from the last century and did this stuff to have FUN.

Stefan aka Psychobilly/x-RSI

Well, as we both have stated before, we can both pretend on being grown up at this point of presence. On this point I do not intend to act like a 14 year old and just go and beat Secret Man up (as I tried to explain).

Second of all, I am working as and admininstrative engineer trying to protect computer systems and databases and I to not like the way this systems had been threatened. It is a crime, I guess we both agree on that. Of ocurse you can come up saying now that I switched sides and I have to come to the conclusion that you are right of course.

But on my point of view from nowadays I do not see any differences between Secret Man´s actions and presently spread worms like W32/Lovesan or W32/My.Doom. These actions are brought up in order to harm the entire open public system named world wide web. Of course, there is a major difference between these examples in their actual harm to be considered but both actions are prohibited by the same law and conclude into being a crime throughout the european community and the rest of the world (well, mainly, I ain´t sure about Arkansas or Cleveland...).

Hence I did not notice anyone hyperventilating at all. Secret Man came up with some crap, others tried to correct him. Secret Man came up insulting these people, others bashed him. In the end he found himself trapped in his own bullshit and took illegal actions against this system, against this community that works hard on keeping the Commodore 64 in mind, a computer that ment a lot to all of us and still does.

The staff of this system even gave him a second chance to calm down and stay on the system, he simply blew it! Now I don´t see any reason why he shouldn´t suffer from his actions just like everybody does sooner or later...

And to cut this short, nope, I don´t feel offended by a feeble minded kid that can hardly pronounce himself or pay his bills without help of our government.

Yours, Westbam / Legend
2004-02-03 13:52
psychobilly/x-RSI
Account closed

OK guys, I see your point. It is not that I am trying to justify Christian's actions here. I commented on that issues already. My stance was more abstract in nature. From time to time it helps to reflect on your actions and what it means on a larger scale, don't you think? And at the end of the day, if one think of themselves of acting superiorly than others, he should keep his actions consistent.

Stefan aka PB/x-RSI
2004-02-03 18:20
Westbam
Account closed

Well I consider your point of view legit aswell. I wouldn´t go and fry Secret Man´s butt forever either. But I little hint would do the job on his case I suppose.

A neat little complaint towards his ISP like I suggested would give him some minor problem, he´d feel the heat and that should make it I hope.

So I don´t think that actions like these would send his butt to hell forever but it would surely show him that he cannot just pop up and fuck with everyone...
Previous - 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 - Next
RefreshSubscribe to this thread:

You need to be logged in to post in the forum.

Search the forum:
Search   for   in  
All times are CET.
Search CSDb
Advanced
Users Online
Radd Maxx/SWIM
Guests online: 114
Top Demos
1 Next Level  (9.8)
2 Mojo  (9.7)
3 Coma Light 13  (9.7)