Log inRegister an accountBrowse CSDbHelp & documentationFacts & StatisticsThe forumsAvailable RSS-feeds on CSDbSupport CSDb Commodore 64 Scene Database
 Welcome to our latest new user dstar ! (Registered 2024-05-25) You are not logged in - nap
CSDb User Forums

Forums > C64 Pixeling > An update on ‘Pixel art in the C64 demoscene’
2024-02-01 16:54
Sander

An update on ‘Pixel art in the C64 demoscene’

Dear fellow sceners,

In response to the comments we received, we’ve made some changes to the document.
Our goal was always to find common ground to maintain the fun and integrity of our hobby.

What this is not:
- It’s not written to limit anyone (only to encourage openness)
- It’s not aimed at specific individuals (it’s a scene wide practice)

Read the document here

We’d really love to hear your thoughts on this update.
Please post them in this thread, be kind and keep it constructive and on-topic please.

... 127 posts hidden. Click here to view all posts....

2024-02-02 20:35
Deev

Quote:
That really seems like an odd idea. Why wouldn't you be "allowed" to draw your image on paper, scanning and converting that, and then work from this?

Let's flip the question around. why do people try to hide that they're doing this? The document is asking for transparency.
2024-02-02 20:38
Deev

Quote:
What about C/C++ code that is transpiled to C64 asm? The coder also has (afaik, correct me if i am wrong) no real control over how the code turns out.

I expect if a tool came out that could do this better than a human can code asm (or even as good as), we might start to see some coders who wanted competitions that celebrated the traditional ways of doing things.
2024-02-02 20:40
chatGPZ

Quote:
Let's flip the question around. why do people try to hide that they're doing this? The document is asking for transparency.

That's a completely different question to me.

If someone really drew something by himself and then scanned it - how does it even matter if he works this way, or drew it in photoshop, or in Koalapainter?

This whole "transparency" really only makes sense to me IF someone is using 3rd party material.
2024-02-02 20:42
chatGPZ

Quote:
I expect if a tool came out that could do this better than a human can code asm (or even as good as), we might start to see some coders who wanted competitions that celebrated the traditional ways of doing things.

Every modern compiler on a modern platform produces better asm code than most coders (even good ones).

And on C64... you'd be surprised how much code has been generated and optimized by tools. Since decades.
2024-02-02 20:44
Deev

Quote: Quote:

That's a completely different question to me.

If someone really drew something by himself and then scanned it - how does it even matter if he works this way, or drew it in photoshop, or in Koalapainter?

This whole "transparency" really only makes sense to me IF someone is using 3rd party material.

Maybe to a lot of people it doesn't. If people are transparent, the audience can decide.
2024-02-02 20:45
ws

Quote: Quoting ws
What about C/C++ code that is transpiled to C64 asm?
Cannot be compared, and please do not say "transpile". =)

Ok, sorry, you're right, i used the wrong term. So: when someone writes code in any high-level language and compiles it to C64 ML, isn't that compareable in terms of "conversion"?
2024-02-02 20:47
Deev

Quote: Quote:

Every modern compiler on a modern platform produces better asm code than most coders (even good ones).

And on C64... you'd be surprised how much code has been generated and optimized by tools. Since decades.

Unless I've missed something, C64 demos are not usually written in c++. There's a reason for that?
2024-02-02 20:50
chatGPZ

Quote:
Maybe to a lot of people it doesn't. If people are transparent, the audience can decide.

To me this whole debate seems to be much more about curiosity than fairness by now. And as for that, when i am curious about how someone made this and that - i'll ask. I might get an answer (and often do), or not - and both is just fine. No one is obliged to tell anyone. Or even do it in advance.
Quote:
Unless I've missed something, C64 demos are not usually written in c++. There's a reason for that?

Not directly, sure. But all kinds of high level languages (including c++, i am sure) are used to produce the code in one way or another.
2024-02-02 20:58
Deev

Quote:
To me this whole debate seems to be much more about curiosity than fairness by now. And as for that, when i am curious about how someone made this and that - i'll ask. I might get an answer (and often do), or not - and both is just fine.

From a graphician's point of view, process is interesting to see and sharing that process helps us learn. Again, the document mentions that. It's about fairness as well though.
2024-02-02 21:03
ws

@deev - not that i am a fan of his work, but would you consider the art of andy warhol unworthy to be entered into a compo, as in "unoriginal/uncreative" ?
Previous - 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 - Next
RefreshSubscribe to this thread:

You need to be logged in to post in the forum.

Search the forum:
Search   for   in  
All times are CET.
Search CSDb
Advanced
Users Online
Clayboy
kbs/Pht/Lxt
Titus/Rabenauge
TheRyk/MYD!
Jammer
TPM/Silicon Ltd