Log inRegister an accountBrowse CSDbHelp & documentationFacts & StatisticsThe forumsAvailable RSS-feeds on CSDbSupport CSDb Commodore 64 Scene Database
You are not logged in - nap
CSDb User Forums

Forums > C64 Pixeling > An update on ‘Pixel art in the C64 demoscene’
2024-02-01 16:54
Sander

An update on ‘Pixel art in the C64 demoscene’

Dear fellow sceners,

In response to the comments we received, we’ve made some changes to the document.
Our goal was always to find common ground to maintain the fun and integrity of our hobby.

What this is not:
- It’s not written to limit anyone (only to encourage openness)
- It’s not aimed at specific individuals (it’s a scene wide practice)

Read the document here

We’d really love to hear your thoughts on this update.
Please post them in this thread, be kind and keep it constructive and on-topic please.

... 127 posts hidden. Click here to view all posts....

2024-02-03 00:09
acrouzet

Just in general I don't think that citing copyright law is the best be-all end-all for arguments concerning the rights of creators. I think that may be what GPZ was getting at.
2024-02-03 00:10
CreaMD

Quote: Copyright law hasn't been about the artists in a long time (or forever?) anyway.

That's why I start with attribution and acknowledgement and that's why I say that the explaining paragraph is lazily pasted from chatGPT. I didn't want to skew and manipulate it to prove my point just to solely talk about chivalry of respecting of other authors, but I think that is obvious. Btw. (and I promise this is the last time I'm mentioning it).

Look at this:

Artist Credits:
Design: Ian MacDonald, Tom Jilesen, Zac Roane
Sculpt: Igor Catto, Steve Lord
Mold and Cast: Adam Smith
Paint: Chie Izuma, Holly Knevelbaard
Cut and Sew: Tim Hanson
The Sideshow Design and Development Team

This is complete credits for the thing that on our plattformu has just one TAG stamped on top right corner of the image.

Where one (original) author goes lenghts to give respect to everyone who was directly or even indirectly involved in creation of his sculpture, the other author of derivative work just ignores it completely.
2024-02-03 00:13
acrouzet

I see, I got the sense that copyright law wasn't relevant to your point anyway.
2024-02-03 00:14
chatGPZ

But this is about giving credit (which was always regarded high in the scene) not copyright (which does not exist in the scene)
2024-02-03 00:17
CreaMD

Quote: Don't give me this nonsense that people are no more pirating all over the place.

(There never was a problem with SMB64, that supposed C&D some Website claimed to have seen never existed, that was plain old attentionwhoring. The original links on Lemon are still there and work.)

Where on CSDB can I download it? And I don't say you aren't right, there is pirating all over place, but nobody goes around recracking, stealing other's work etc. We are past that I think. We even have some period when downloads aren't available for cracks. I don't want to kill too many kittens, but obviously something has changed during the past 20 years.
2024-02-03 00:17
4gentE

Quote:
But this is about giving credit (which was always regarded high in the scene) not copyright (which does not exist in the scene)

Right.
2024-02-03 00:18
CreaMD

Quote: But this is about giving credit (which was always regarded high in the scene) not copyright (which does not exist in the scene)

Exactly. Attribution and acknowledgement. A.k.a. giving credit where credit is due.
2024-02-03 00:19
acrouzet

Quote: Where on CSDB can I download it? And I don't say you aren't right, there is pirating all over place, but nobody goes around recracking, stealing other's work etc. We are past that I think. We even have some period when downloads aren't available for cracks. I don't want to kill too many kittens, but obviously something has changed during the past 20 years.

We've started respecting creators, regardless of copyright law I think. The SMB64 takedown may be more cautionary rather than value-based though, since Nintendo is very infamous for being stingy over its IP.
2024-02-03 00:22
chatGPZ

Quote:
Where on CSDB can I download it?

Strawman. Also it'd be no problem - as said, original links still work fine.
Quote:
but nobody goes around recracking, stealing other's work etc. We are past that I think. We even have some period when downloads aren't available for cracks. I don't want to kill too many kittens, but obviously something has changed during the past 20 years.

None if this is related to copyright law. And there ARE other easily accessable places (even websites) where you can download every single new crack, no problem. csdb is NOT the scene.
2024-02-03 00:24
4gentE

Quote:
We've started respecting creators, regardless of copyright law I think

And that’s a great achievement! Let’s cherish that and expand on it further.
Previous - 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 - Next
RefreshSubscribe to this thread:

You need to be logged in to post in the forum.

Search the forum:
Search   for   in  
All times are CET.
Search CSDb
Advanced
Users Online
Guests online: 89
Top Demos
1 Next Level  (9.8)
2 13:37  (9.7)
3 Mojo  (9.7)
4 Coma Light 13  (9.7)