Log inRegister an accountBrowse CSDbHelp & documentationFacts & StatisticsThe forumsAvailable RSS-feeds on CSDbSupport CSDb Commodore 64 Scene Database
You are not logged in - nap
CSDb User Forums

Forums > C64 Pixeling > Graphics on C64 demoscene: Guide of Ethics – a Proposal
2023-12-22 18:03
Sander

Graphics on C64 demoscene: Guide of Ethics – a Proposal

Dear fellow sceners,

This is an attempt to get more understanding among, and for, C64 demoscene pixel artists. It’s not written to limit anyone, but a prayer for more transparency.

Read the document here: ->Graphics on C64 demoscene: Guide of Ethics – a Proposal<-

We tried to give define and value different processes. Which is a result of discussion, where we saw mutual grounds and felt the need to write these down.
We will update the document periodically, when enough input has been gathered and sorted out.

We’d really love to hear your thoughts on the subjects in the document.
Please post them in this thread.

(Personally I will not always fully comply to these guidelines myself, but I will continue to be transparant about it. However, I do agree with the values communicated in this document.)

... 137 posts hidden. Click here to view all posts....

2023-12-26 13:20
Joe

People talk about things that are off the stage and try to make their own thing to be something special, it disgusts me. We all do it and its part of the guild.

Quite a lot disgusts me, such as enduring awards and voting, because no one votes, it becomes like partisan communities that disgustingly bring out things they hold dear. And I vote the most, it disgusts me and it doesn’t even make a difference having over 50.000 votes. And fashion changes year after year and something else is in focus. Looking at things disgusts me, from A.I. images to well disputed first winners: Death skulls and animals, always portraits with no stories, hires and borderless.

I think that when we desire authenticity, it has to do with the fact that society at large has already lost focus on art, culture and education. It's the same everywhere. Libraries look more and more like bookstores and those, in turn, seem almost more like libraries. Schools are more and more like YouTube videos and nothing seems to be more than entertainment.

Everywhere we see the decay of cultural institutions, in favor of some kind of TikTok culture, where the exaggerated and invisible replaces a long tradition of craftsmanship and know-how.

And for once, as in a single phase and resistance to where the world is barking, some graphic artists ask for just; Authenticity, work-stages, resistance. And then we see how it turns out: Everyone has cheated. But for what does it mean in the long run? That the disgust was greater than the admiration!
2023-12-26 13:30
Hein

You sound like an old man, Joe. ;) Modernity does not take authenticity away from you.
2023-12-26 13:30
LMan

Quote: I address this post to all graphicians that feel this initiative is out to hinder them or tell them what to do. You are misunderstanding its point if that’s how you see it. Please, read it again, open minded, think about it, turn a blind eye to occasional clumsy wording that makes you raise an eyebrow. And try to get to the core of it. I’m telling you that this initiative is not out to restrict you. On the contrary, this initiative is, if anything, out to set you free. So that no one is put under pressure to portray his/her work as something it’s not. There’s enough room for all kinds of graphics and all kinds of processes. Don’t let some half-defined feeling of uneasyness box you away from the red pill.

It's not that we don't understand. We argue about the wording, and the scope, and whether such a document does more good than harm or vice versa.

I understand that was the op's intention. Get input to refine the document.
2023-12-26 13:36
Joe

@Hein: It's obvious you have neither worked at a communal school teaching or at a library, so I might sound like an old man complaining, since I have done both! But you seem to be missing what is happening.
It's called digitalization and everyone is so hooked on it, it's destroying our world!
2023-12-26 14:07
Hein

Quoting Joe
@Hein: It's obvious you have neither worked at a communal school teaching or at a library, so I might sound like an old man complaining, since I have done both! But you seem to be missing what is happening.
It's called digitalization and everyone is so hooked on it, it's destroying our world!

The same was said about our first computers. But we'll see, in the meantime try to find things that make you wonder, there are plenty. Or, as you actually already do, make others wonder.
2023-12-26 14:38
Joe

Wow, you are so completely off the real world, it makes one cry.
2023-12-26 14:40
Hein

Quoting Joe
Wow, you are so completely off the real world, it makes one cry.

Heh, how do you know about my real world problems? :P AI is the least of my problems, let alone CSDb votes or TikTok.
2023-12-26 16:35
4gentE

@Joe :
Just please don’t stop doing what you’re doing on the C64. You make a whole bunch of us happy.
2023-12-26 16:42
Joe

The lot of you make me disgusted, it's hard to go on, with being disgusted at people, trying to do art, with people laughing at art and just keeping on making fun at it with poor competitions and awards like the Ninja, and stuff like that. Poor is the references when texts arise, and poor is the references when art is aroused (Part from MultiStyle Labs which has serious music-value). Poor is values when stuff is shown, it's always THIS THIS IS and seldomly THAT, THOSE and THEIRS. disgusted. I think the text was a start at this, to try to find the real starting point, and not that one we all felt before - the disgusting one.
2023-12-26 16:56
Hein

A pitty, there may indeed be alot of mediocracy, but it is still valid.
Previous - 1 | ... | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 - Next
RefreshSubscribe to this thread:

You need to be logged in to post in the forum.

Search the forum:
Search   for   in  
All times are CET.
Search CSDb
Advanced
Users Online
BYB/Hokuto Force
Acidchild/Padua
icon/The Silents, Sp..
d4ng3r
Viscid/Neoplasia/The..
ritti/TLN