Log inRegister an accountBrowse CSDbHelp & documentationFacts & StatisticsThe forumsAvailable RSS-feeds on CSDbSupport CSDb Commodore 64 Scene Database
You are not logged in - nap
CSDb User Forums

Forums > C64 Pixeling > Graphics on C64 demoscene: Guide of Ethics – a Proposal
2023-12-22 18:03
Sander

Graphics on C64 demoscene: Guide of Ethics – a Proposal

Dear fellow sceners,

This is an attempt to get more understanding among, and for, C64 demoscene pixel artists. It’s not written to limit anyone, but a prayer for more transparency.

Read the document here: ->Graphics on C64 demoscene: Guide of Ethics – a Proposal<-

We tried to give define and value different processes. Which is a result of discussion, where we saw mutual grounds and felt the need to write these down.
We will update the document periodically, when enough input has been gathered and sorted out.

We’d really love to hear your thoughts on the subjects in the document.
Please post them in this thread.

(Personally I will not always fully comply to these guidelines myself, but I will continue to be transparant about it. However, I do agree with the values communicated in this document.)

... 137 posts hidden. Click here to view all posts....

2023-12-26 02:40
El Jefe

I still dont get what your point is. Is it the "vague definition" or the "curtailment of your freedom"? The document can by no means be interpreted in the latter way and you say that you are not willing to help finding a not-so-vague definition.

See what Spidey, Krill, Copyfault and also others wrote. Good night!

Shocker/sidDivers
2023-12-26 02:57
ws

If you honestly, openly answer to my last question ("NOT NICE" is a curtailment), it will unlock a new level to this discussion. And sincerely, i wish you a nice night, too.
2023-12-26 03:32
Fungus

4gentE, nope you're the one who wants to force people to do things how you think is correct. Going by all your replies, it's not a tried trope when it's a fact either. It's a valid argument.

I'm all for people using any kind of enhancements they like, the future is moving towards it. Is it a good thing? Maybe, maybe not, but it's going to continue and be a thing if you like it or not, so deal with it.
2023-12-26 06:11
Hein

Quoting PAL

In Norway's art scene (not pixels), there has been a discussion earlier that artists used video projectors to portray their images or Photoshop creations based on many sources and then worked with a lot... but to portray it onto a canvas and then make a big oil painting of it is not accepted... it is a bit like the way one had a grid in the past and set every tile by hand and then copied that over to the Commodore 64 paint program one was using, or as to do a fast convert draft and move on for 100 hours from there.

Interesting, I've tried this as well, projecting and tracing. This is a perfectly fine process for doing portraits that have to be accurate, else someone might not pay the bill. But it's alot more exciting for an artist to not work like that, and see where the painting goes. Most of the time the end result is an insult for the person being portrayed, but for an artist it's a bliss, adding dimensions to a painting that would not be there if traced. From my experience, that is.
2023-12-26 08:13
LMan

Exactly! If I want an accurate colored pencil portrait I use projections to place key features. The rest is freehand, including corrections and sometimes erasingnans moving features to make it work better. It is but one part of the creative process. It is shunned by art schools. That's what reflects here in a way.

There is always the matter of the measurement of creative merit. Is a completely hand drawn pixel art higher in level than a plain ai wire? Certainly. Is an AI wire higher than some of the crap that passes as high art in museums and fetches millions? Imho yes.

Is a deformed freehand portrait higher in level than an accurate one where tracing was used? Imho the level is the same. The accurate one used the helping technique whereas the other did a rough approximation.

I understand and accept that others view this differently, especially people indoctrinated by art schools.
2023-12-26 09:06
Hein

Quoting LMan
It is but one part of the creative process. It is shunned by art schools. That's what reflects here in a way.

Funnily enough, from a Dutch point of view, Rembrandt, Vermeer, Frans Hals or Van Dyck, all technically superior painters, are not half as popular as that drunk lamer without skills called Van Gogh. I suppose a lot of people can relate to him or are at least touched by his ordinary looking art.
2023-12-26 10:13
chatGPZ

I haven't seen as much artistry on csdb ever since those threads exploded.
2023-12-26 10:21
LMan

Indeed. All fair and good. "What is art?" The answer can and will always be completely subjective. I reject the official academical elitist answer to it. Art is free.
2023-12-26 10:31
chatGPZ

There is very little "Art" happening in the Demoscene according to MY definition for that matter. And that's why i like it. YMMV
2023-12-26 12:20
4gentE

I address this post to all graphicians that feel this initiative is out to hinder them or tell them what to do. You are misunderstanding its point if that’s how you see it. Please, read it again, open minded, think about it, turn a blind eye to occasional clumsy wording that makes you raise an eyebrow. And try to get to the core of it. I’m telling you that this initiative is not out to restrict you. On the contrary, this initiative is, if anything, out to set you free. So that no one is put under pressure to portray his/her work as something it’s not. There’s enough room for all kinds of graphics and all kinds of processes. Don’t let some half-defined feeling of uneasyness box you away from the red pill.
Previous - 1 | ... | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 - Next
RefreshSubscribe to this thread:

You need to be logged in to post in the forum.

Search the forum:
Search   for   in  
All times are CET.
Search CSDb
Advanced
Users Online
Fix/[HF] + [ONS]
void256
X-Raffi/X-Rated
E$G/hOKUtO fOrcE
Guests online: 110
Top Demos